SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Prophetic Credentials.....

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
PosterThread
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Re:

Well, if I have learnt anything at all, is that Christians find it extremely offensive when one refers to Himself a prophet. I find this very strange because when one refers to themselves as an evangelist or a pastor or teacher or preacher there is no such objection, but guess I can understand it. In future I pray I may be given the grace to stay out of such discussions as it appears most people have already made up their minds about this sensitive issue. I do not mean to sound offensive but I have been quietened and a little baffled, but not offended. Please pray for me dear brothers and sisters…peradventure there is something you have perceived in me that you dare not point out lest a riot breaks out :-)

James

2005/5/4 16:28Profile
Compton

Re: New Testament

Quote:
there is something inside all of us that wants to battle the priests of baal, and call down fire from heaven, but is that what a NT prophet is?

I think this is an important question when we discuss prophecy. Having recieved the mystery of the gospel(Eph. 6:19), do we still measure ourselves against the old testament role of a prophet?

For, assuredly, I say to you that many prophets and righteous men craved to see the things you see and did not see them, and to hear the things you hear and did not hear them.(Matt. 13:17)

Concerning this salvation, the prophets, who spoke of the grace that was to come to you, searched intently and with the greatest care, trying to find out the time and circumstances to which the Spirit of Christ in them was pointing when he predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories that would follow. It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves but you, when they spoke of the things that have now been told you by those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven. Even angels long to look into these things (1 Pet. 1:10-12, NIV).

Unlike the great prophets who foretold, we have been shown the mystery so that it is no longer shrouded.

But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom, which God foreordained before the ages to our glory; which none of the rulers of this age knew; for if they had known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. But just as it is written: "Things which eye has not seen and ear has not heard..." (1 Cor. 2:7-9)

What is this mystery? It is the promise Jesus Christ.

"My purpose is that they may he encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge (Col. 2:2-3, NIV).

I have become its servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fullness - the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the saints. To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory (Col. 1:25-26, NIV).

Now to him who is able to establish you by my gospel and the proclamation of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery hidden for long ages past, but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings... (Rom. 16:25-26, NIV).

In reading this, then, you will be able to understand my insight into the mystery of Christ, which was not made known to men in other generations as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to God's holy apostles and prophets. This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus (Eph. 3:3-6, NIV)

So my honest conclusion is that a New Testament prophet is not satisfied with merely making straight the way for repentance, in unfulfilled longing and anticipation. Rather a New Testament prophet lifts up the revealed mystery, Jesus Christ, that the church may see Him more clearly. (In some ways, it might be fairly said that a NT prophet actually looks backward, in that no work of grace or holiness is true unless it be at the cross.)

While a NT prophet may foretell the future, or cry out for repentance, are these the edifying works that Paul was referring to when he said "but he who prophesies edifies the church... I would rather have you prophesy... so that the church may be edified."?

Consider how the New Testament Agabus foretold of a famine and was proven right.(Acts 21:10-12. Yet when this same man prophecied dire events through the Holy Spirit to Paul at Caeseria, Paul seemed to be unmoved. There is no mention that Agabus felt that his prophetic gift was rejected, only that they all agreed "the Lord's will be done."

Paul did not despise, or even disagree with the fearful prediction of Agabus. It's just that Paul walked according to a fulfilled New Testament love that cast out fear; He lived for men to see Jesus Christ as he saw Him. I wonder, if I saw Jesus more clearly...would I be considered a prophet?

Like Jeff reminded us...
Quote:
"For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy." The closer one gets to the Lord the more the testimony of Him abides in the one who draws close.

Blessings,

MC

2005/5/4 16:29Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Re:

Quote:
I liked MC's analogy there and a policeman isn't really necessary among the peaceful but where the trouble is. So would imagine you guy's will continue to be challenged on these things from those here, whether they are from the Lord or not, 'test all things', and that includes all our own opinions and thoughts, it's because we care too much to let the cautions and dangers be ignored. Besides it could just be bad pizza

Hallelujah Brother Mike! It’s actually a little funny how this thread has turned out because you could swear this was not a forum but it was playing out in real life. As for me, there is a glib acknowledgement of what has been said here, and reluctant understanding but I feel we have all missed each other slightly at some point. I guess people suppose when one is referred to as a prophet it means that they are the most perfect Christians on God’s green Earth…I know for a indisputable fact that is not why I was called (is it okay for me to say that? ;-) ). But seriously though, we all need to take to heart what our role and ministry is a member of the body of Christ, first and foremost love and the fruit of the Spirit, but, apart from this there is still a work to be done dear saints. Satan is relentless, are we?

James

2005/5/4 16:38Profile
dohzman

Re:

None of us can ever take credit, so you're in good company brother. The NT says , "the spirit of the prophets is subject to the prophets". How do you hear that scripture?

2005/5/4 16:39Profile
dohzman

Re:

That is a pretty profound statement, but it goes without saying that we are not called to be christians we are christians. I Don't know if that makes sense, it sounds different in my head than in print. Is that basically what you're saying? The nameing is more defined by the action than the title?

2005/5/4 16:51Profile
dohzman

Re:

Brother if you will re-read my post that you quoted me from, I believe you'll understand what I was getting at. All of God's children go through the same thing basically, times when the anointing or the presence of God is so strong you can barely stand, the emotional ups and downs, the felling of rejection and the isolation from even the body of Christ. Ask any teacher of scripture, any exhorter, any preacher or pastor, and any christian worker. You'll find the experiences are all the same, just different circumstances , different settings. Rember Elijah ran thinking "he only", but God had reserved......unto himself...We are a body of believers who work together. God Bless Bro. Daryl

2005/5/4 17:07Profile
dohzman

Your missionary trip?

I kept you in prayer day and nite and was wondering if you were going to tell us what all happened on your recent missionary trip? God Bless Bro. Daryl

2005/5/4 17:19Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re: What is a prophet?

To me, a prophet is one who understands mysteries, and is able to proclaim them. He is one who can understand the language of angels (what God is saying in heaven. ie, mysteries), and equally the language of men, thereby able to proficiently communicate these mysteries, so that those with ears to hear, can understand. Not only can the prophet understand and proclaim these mysteries effectively, he has faith with which he can move mountains (affect change in seemingly impossible situations). The prophet willing pours out his life for the words sake, not witholding possessions, or even his own blood, if necessary.

Mind you, the prophet is who has extraordinary love, without which the words he utters would be as "sounding brass and a tinkling cymbal", and this love, which considers self last, and the receiver to be the most important person apart from the Lord Himself, which leaves him always considering himself to be "nothing, and never profiting", as he understands the total impossibility of his task and necessary character. In a word, the prophet is broken.

The prophet is honest beyond the point of incrimination. The prophet understands that truth and love are inseperable. This love makes the prophet willing to offend, when necessary, knowing that he risks having a "millstone tied around his neck" and being "cast into the sea", if he goes too far. This love makes the prophet willing to point out the folly of kings, knowing that it could mean his execution. The prophet understands what Asaph went through to write Psalm 73.

As Art Katz put it, "A church that is not prophetic, is ipso-facto, not the church." God's plan is that all the church be prophetic. He calls all to be a prophet. And yet, in His wisdom, he declares that "Many are called, but few are chosen."

As a young believer, I desired nothing more than to be a prophet (though I wouldn't admit it). The idea of predicting the future (notice, that I haven't mentioned this...although that would be considered to be a mystery). I "prophecied" over everything that moved. Some things I got right, and somethings I got wrong (and back then, I thought that this was okay), but deep down inside, I knew that that wasn't what God had for me.

It was only six months ago when I finally accepted that God hadn't call me prophetically. I wept in my loungeroom, as he showed me my sin, of presumption. Then a weird thing happened. I began to understand mysteries. The Word openned up in a way alien to me, before this. His love started filling my heart, in a way I'd never known before. Not only could I understand the mysteries, but I could relate them to others.

God seemed to be qualifying me for the "office" that I desired. Was this a green light? Was this some kind of "cruel joke"? No and no. God has given me a calling, and I've accepted it with honour. That calling is to be a labourer. I don't know if you've heard, but apparently, they are few. But the harvest is ripe. Maybe you guys are called to be prophets, maybe not. God bless you either way. Myself, I've been liberated from the need for any kind of title. My vain boasting presented here offends my own ears, deeply. The one glaring thing lacking, is the ability to avoid the temptation to be creative with the truth, when trouble arises, but I'm getting there.

I don't need a title to bear the offences that come my way, that's what the cross is for. I don't know about you, but I'll take it up, and follow Him...splinters and all.

2005/5/4 17:25Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re: Re: What is a prophet?

By the way...that qualification comes from 1 Corinthians 13...not 14.

Those are the ones who are to "judge the prophets", because anyone else, will miss the point.

2005/5/4 17:29Profile
rookie

Re:

Br Mike wrote:

Quote:
So my honest conclusion is that a New Testament prophet is not satisfied with merely making straight the way for repentance, in unfulfilled longing and anticipation. Rather a New Testament prophet lifts up the revealed mystery, Jesus Christ, that the church may see Him more clearly

Since Christ was revealed to man in the flesh, this announced the work of God that was foretold by the OT prophets. The mystery existed before Christ incarnate. The Mystery that walked with Israel has now also been revealed to us gentiles.

But Christ still remains a mystery to those who are not led by the Spirit. Paul writes,

1Cor. 2:6 However, we speak wisdom among those who are mature, yet not the wisdom of this age, nor of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing. 7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God ordained before the ages for our glory, .....

1Cor. 2:13 These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15 But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one. 16 For “who has known the mind of the LORD that he may instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ. 1 And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ. 2 I fed you with milk and not with solid food; for until now you were not able to receive it, and even now you are still not able; 3 for you are still carnal.

The mystery of Christ is revealed by the Spirit of God. A babe in Christ cannot know the mind of Christ according to Paul's teachings. All prophesy is encompassed in the work of Christ in the believer. The Spirit does not speak on His own authority, but gives to us that which is of Christ.

1 Cor 10:

1 Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea, 2 all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, 3 all ate the same spiritual food, 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that [b]Rock was Christ.[/b]

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

The darkness of the carnal mind did not comprehend the mystery of the "Life,", and the life was the light of men.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/5/4 17:29Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy