Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Revival in the Hebrides

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
wayneman

Michigan

Revival in the Hebrides

In 1949 the Spirit of grace and supplication fell upon a congregation in the village of Arnol, on the Isle of Lewis in the Scottish Hebrides.

They prayed for revival.

Will You not revive us again, that Your people may rejoice in You? Show us Your mercy, LORD, and grant us Your salvation. Psalm 85:6-7

O LORD, revive Your work in the midst of the years! In the midst of the years make it known; in wrath remember mercy. Habakkuk 3:2

“Oh, that You would rend the heavens and come down! That the mountains might shake at Your presence! Isaiah 64:1

One night they crowded into the home of the blacksmith – a smith named Smith – but the spiritual atmosphere was dry. A sense of deadness prevailed as one after another tried to break through in prayer. Duncan Campbell, a visiting evangelist, called on Mr. Smith to pray.

The prayer was short and sharp: “O God, You made a promise to pour water upon him that is thirsty and floods upon the dry ground, and, Lord, it’s not happening.” He paused and then continued in a rising voice: “Lord, I do not know how Mr. Campbell or these other men stand with You, but if I know my own heart, I know that I am thirsty. You have promised to pour water on him who is thirsty. If You don’t do it, how can I ever believe You again? Your honor is at stake. You are a covenant-keeping God. Fulfill Your covenant engagement!”

At that instant the granite house shook like a leaf (Acts 4) and a Power was unleashed that swept the entire parish. Campbell said, “I could only stand in silence as wave after wave of Divine power swept through the house, and in a matter of minutes following this heaven-sent visitation, men and women were on their faces in distress of soul.” He stepped outside and discovered that the whole village was astir. Though it was 11 o’clock at night, people with lanterns and flashlights were making their way along the roads and across the fields toward the nearby meeting hall! The meeting continued till sunrise.

Next day the looms were silent and work stopped. Everywhere people were gathered in groups, discussing this strange invasion from heaven. Spontaneous prayer meetings took place in homes and on the streets. The newly converted exhorted the unconverted to make peace with God. Each day and night more and more were added to the kingdom of God.

“You met God on meadow and moorland,” said the parish minister. “You met Him in the homes of the people. God seemed to be everywhere.”

Or as another observer put it, “The Lamb of God took the field and the forces of darkness were routed!”

Campbell said, “God came down, the mountains flowed down at His presence, and a wave of revival swept the village: opposition and spiritual death fled before the presence of the Lord of life. Here was demonstrated the power of prevailing prayer, and that nothing lies beyond the reach of prayer except that which lies outside the will of God.”

See the full article (8 pages) at

https://www.scribd.com/doc/257593063/Revival-in-the-Hebrides

2015/3/3 20:49Profile
Theophila

Re: Revival in the Hebrides

I never tire of reading these awesome accounts of the Lord's doings!
Thank you for sharing.

2015/3/22 13:59Profile
wayneman

Michigan

Re:

Reading these revival histories changes our whole perspective. We may be content with church life as we've always known it, but then we see what God did in the Hebrides, in Wales, in Fiji, in the Great Awakening, and we realize that we have been paddling around the shore of an infinite ocean of grace (as Ravenhill put it) and that "God is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all we ask or think, according to the power that works in us." Eph. 3:20

2015/3/22 15:27Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

Thank you brother for this posting on the Hebrides Revival.

I agree with you brothers that I never tire of reading the accounts of past revivals and moves of God throughout History.

The same Holy Spirit that was poured out on the day of Pentecost came down in these great revivals, and the fire of the Holy Spirit is spread through reading these revival accounts.

God is wanting to revive and awaken His people, because a move of the Holy Sprit in the Church can do more than thousands of sermons. Yes we need the Word, and yes we need Holy Ghost fire!!

2015/3/22 16:03Profile
Theophila

It is said that every revival is preceded by mighty prevailing prayer but what kind of prayer and by who?
Reading this and other accounts of revival point to the answer: penitent/repentant prayer by sanctified saints. Evans Roberts emphasized it during the Welsh revival and I see it again here.

REPENTANCE.

Now, its not just the general 'repent from sin' stuff. I'll paraphrase bro Evans' comments: be quick to turn away from every doubtful habit/desire.

A dear sister, who is positively alive in Jesus, loves to pray, 'O Lord, please show me the things in my heart that do not please You, that I may turn away from them and that You may deliver me from them'.
As she has continually prayed, the Lord has granted her request and given her increased boldness to be a witness of the living Christ and His ability to deliver from sin and self.

After all, It is His life that He desires to live through us, that is how we are to be witnesses.

As I have earnestly desired the Lord to live His life through me, I find myself praying the same thing. I want to be revived too!

2015/3/23 5:21Profile
wayneman

Michigan

Re:

When God intends great mercy for His people, the first thing He does is to set them a-praying. ~Matthew Henry

The one concern of the devil is to keep Christians from praying. He fears nothing from prayerless studies, prayerless work, and prayerless religion. He laughs at our toil, mocks at our wisdom, but trembles when we pray. ~Samuel Chadwick

It is God’s will through His wonderful grace, that the prayers of His saints should be one of the great principal means of carrying on the designs of Christ’s kingdom in the world. When God has something very great to accomplish for His church, it is His will that there should precede it the extraordinary prayers of His people; as is manifest by Ezekiel 36:37, and it is revealed that, when God is about to accomplish great things for His church, He will begin by remarkably pouring out the spirit of grace and supplication. ~Jonathan Edwards

"And I will pour on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace and supplication.” Zechariah 12:10

2015/3/23 18:25Profile
formidable

Perth, Australia

Hi wayneman

There is also this article from Duncan Campbell

http://www.scribd.com/doc/257589303/The-Lewis-Awakening-by-Duncan-Campbell

I had the privilege of getting married in the Hebrides, in a place called Rodel 3 years ago.

I’ve studied revivals & have always had a heart for this moving of Gods Spirit.

Long story short, a lady in our church was from the Hebrides & her mother was actually part of the Uist revivals which happened 10 years earlier.

When speaking with the dear lady, who has now gone home to be with the Lord, I felt the Holy Spirits presence & knew this was where we would get married.

We ended up in Barvas church for their communions as they call it & just blessed.

When they sing in Gaelic( I’m crying as I write this) I can’t tell you, it reduces me to tears.

The communions was a little taste of what it was like I believe in the revivals.

They would have the meeting, then cake & coffee & an after meeting for more testimonies & prayer.

one night there we were invited to share with the youth & this was 11pm as it was, to me it was how it was then in revival, meeting to meeting, house to house.

I had a copy of The Bright & Shining Revival: An Account of the Hebrides Revival 1948-52, which I had read years ago.

One night at Barvas, my wife asked if we were going to speak with William Macleod, I replied if the Lord wants us to we will.

Upon leaving that night the man in front of us heard us talking(I be Australian & my wife German) he said “oh you must be the newlyweds” I replied yes we are & he said William nice to meet you.

I said you aren’t William Macleod by any chance? “yes I am” I said I was reading about you today & revival. For a man in his late 80s he lit up & said “oh that God would do it again” you could see the passion & fire & Love for the Lord.

The Lord taught me a lesson that night, as we hoped in the car I felt His Still small voice say ” I can make you meet anyone, anywhere I want you to meet”.

We spent a blessed month up there going to churches & making friends. I can’t wait to go back.

His Peace rest upon you all

Scott

2015/3/24 3:45Profile
Theophila

Re:

Isn't it something when you fellowship with those who have been with Jesus?
You get to partake of some of that sweet Presence.

” I can make you meet anyone, anywhere I want you to meet”.

Jesus does know how to connect His Body parts together....

May the Lord continue to bless you with Himself, amen.

2015/3/24 11:00Profile
wayneman

Michigan

Re:

Scott,

Wow, what an awesome experience!

Here is an example of Gaelic congregational singing from Back Church on the Isle of Lewis. It is awe-inspiring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3MzZgPBL3Q&feature=share

2015/3/24 20:22Profile
formidable

Perth, Australia

Re:

hi Wayne

ive listened to this many a time, like i said even when i just think of the singing i get choked up with tears.

i missed out on hearing him preach in gaelic in one of the churches, next time though.

they were talking about aswel, that they had started to feel the presence of the Lord in prayer meetings when the elders gathered together.

it really is such an amazing place, my wife & i God willing are thinking of shifting there in a few years.

see where the Lord takes us.

2015/3/24 23:23Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy