SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Symbolism of Owls, etc

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
SteveHale

NSW Australia

Re:

You can usually tell where someone is at by the jewelry they have on or even their cloths eg (Palestinian scarf) even before they open their mouth to speak. Or if you are invited to their house, they seem to have certain objects eg (Owls etc). They seem to be drawn to these things, in what the World would call subconsciously. But I say there is definitely a spiritual element to the whole thing.

Sandra, you mentioned the color red, which reminded me of something I had read from the writings of Richard Wurmbrand about the color red. Whether he is right or wrong I do not know. But I will share it with you anyway.

Blessings Steve

Behold, a great, fiery red dragon" (Revelation 12:3). Why is this dragon, whose intent is to devour the Christ child, colored red?

Sin is also associated with red. It would seem that to speak about the color of sin would have as much sense as speaking about the melody of a fruit, but God says, "Let us reason together...Though [your sins] are red like crimson, they shall be as wool" (Isaiah 1:18). So sin is red and righteousness is white.

It was no accident that Communism and Nazism, the two great anti-Christian movements of our age, both chose red flags. Not only did they fulfill a prophecy, but the choice also derived from a source deep within the experience of mankind.

The French psychologist Alfred Binet related an experiment with a hysterical woman whose body was paralyzed on one side. When a dynamometer was placed in her right hand, she could squeeze it to register only 12 kg. If she was shown a red disk, the pressure of her squeeze was immediately doubled ("Researches about the alterations of conscience with hysterical persons," Philosophical Magazine, vol. 17, 1889, France).

Goethe, who developed a theory of light, also attributed dynamic character to the color red, which he distinguished as being an active colour. Every color is a suffering of light, because colors are produced by light breaking through a prism. Red is its greatest suffering.

All primitive people have a predilection for red, and so do little children.

White is not actually a color, but the fullness of light, light which has not passed through a prism. The righteous will stand before Christ, the Lamb of God, clothed in white (Revelation 7:9). In contrast to the color of the dragon, white is the color of quietness, of contemplation, the good part chosen by Mary of Bethany (Luke 10:42).

The servants of the red dragon delight in the sight of blood. Persecutors have shed rivers of martyrs' blood. The righteous, on the other hand, are givers of life. In a world dominated or terrorized by the red dragon, in a world where love is scarce and relationships are icy, the righteous bring the warmth of love.

2015/1/28 20:22Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

After I wrote what I did about owls I decided my life does not depend upon owls, its use in my home decorating. They are just cute and as such there are other things I can use, other birds... think I will discard it. I will still love owls but never will I want to be a stumbling block to anyone just because of a frivolous thing.

Steve, interesting thing you shared about the color red. When I was a child one would hear sermons about using this color in clothing, but that was many years ago - most people today never heard a sermon that included this warning. But you know what? while I love that color in flowers, in birds or nature I still cannot wear any clothing that is solid red. There is something within me that prevents me from buying any clothing that is solid red.

We know red is the color harlotry has used to symbolize their craft - "red light district".

Steve, do you wear red?

2015/1/30 10:17Profile
SteveHale

NSW Australia

Re:

G'day Sandra,

I do not wear red but in saying that I do not think many men do either. Men will buy a loud red car instead. Behind both is the desire to be looked at and be the center of attention. As believers our desire is to bring Jesus to be the center of attention. But as you said the color in nature is beautiful.

Blessings Steve

2015/1/30 16:18Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Men do love red cars, don't they! And sportier the better.

Personally, I do not judge anyone for wearing red or driving a sports car. But I do question a person's humility who has a penchant for driving expensive vehicles. I always get the sense they must have a huge ego and wonder how easy it is to live with them?

Just my thoughts.

Sandra

2015/1/30 16:36Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

quote:

"Or if you are invited to their house, they seem to have certain objects eg (Owls etc). They seem to be drawn to these things, in what the World would call subconsciously. But I say there is definitely a spiritual element to the whole thing."

This is a bunch of BS, for lack of a better term.

Why in the world would you take owl decorations out of your house if you like them? Who in their right mind would say that a little owl statue "stumbles" them?

Ridiculous.

There are other more important things to worry about. Gee whiz.

2015/1/30 17:37Profile
Jeremy221

Re:

Backup your position.

2015/1/30 19:08Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Red

Red is the color of action. I think people are always drawn toward it. It is no accident that Target stores are done in gobs of red, it is there to make people get more excited and spend more money. Focus group tested, I am told.

It is also the color of the Blood, for what that is worth. I wear red a lot, and my little cross flag pin on the collar looks good on the red field. I think part of why I like wearing red is because I am old and look pretty drab in blah colors!

Hmmm. Wonder how my wife would react if I brought home some red owl decorative pieces and set them around the house??

Interesting that when I ordered shirts for a customer this morning, I had them throw in a red one for me. I will put the ministry logo on it and wear it to preach in! That should hold some attention maybe?

2015/1/30 19:14Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I think I am going to get a red owl. When people from church come over for life group they'll be swooning. But I'll have smelling salts ready.

2015/1/30 19:51Profile
Jeremy221

Re:

TMK,

Why do you mock? Do you know what that speaks of you?

2015/1/30 22:55Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: Personally, I do not judge anyone for wearing red or driving a sports car. But I do question a person's humility who has a penchant for driving expensive vehicles. I always get the sense they must have a huge ego and wonder how easy it is to live with them?

Could also be the very opposite as well - for example they don't think very highly of themselves and the car is the something they use to boost there 'image', make them feel good...

2015/1/30 23:43Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy