SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : FASTING & PRAYER

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

mama27 - your not a failure, the devil is a liar and he will always try and discourage you...

Try the Daniel fast where you don't consume the finest of foods, I usually stick to vegetables, it amazing how sweet a carrot can taste. At the start of the fast you set out what your going to eat and what you are going to fast from. It might help you with the migraine headaches and it will for sure help with the short temperedness - so your not the mamabear...

But we can fast from many things it doesn't just have to be food...

The most important thing is that we are humbling ourselves before God.

Edit - spelling

2014/12/30 4:29Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Someone noted that we don't fast to "manipulate God."

I guess I am going to disagree with this, to a degree. I think that when we fast we DO manipulate God. We are trying to get his attention. We want to show him we are serious.

There are many passages in scripture where God's people are told to fast to get God to move; I think of the fast that Esther called.

People have noted that they fast for a "breakthrough" in a certain situation. What is that other than trying to get God to move? There is nothing wrong with that! He WANTS to move on our behalf. I guess i kind of look at fasting as an exclamation point to our prayers, or bold font and underlining. The symptoms we experience when we fast, which can be pretty irritating, show God that we really mean it.

2014/12/30 6:23Profile
mama27

Re:

I like the thought that fasting is an exclamation point to our prayers....then I wonder if I am not praying with enough faith, b/c I seldom see the breakthroughs I am seeking....

I should also note that b/c of my migraines, I never do a water fast, but always a juice fast. Haven't thought to try the vegetables...thanks for the suggestion!

2014/12/30 12:01Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: mama27

mama27

I was encouraged by reading your post! You are NOT a failure. I wanted to encourage you in your Isaiah 58 fast! The statement you made that spoke to me was, "I am moved on my next fast to pray for change in ME...clearer eyes to see in ME..."

YES!! That "is" profound my friend! That's what I want to see too, amen sister: 'change me o God, renew a right spirit within me...'

God bless,
Lisa

2014/12/30 13:45Profile
mama27

Re:

Well, thank you Lisa. My family is imploding, and I can barely LIVE in the state of tension and carnality and turning away from the God they were taught and professed....My motivation to pray for the change in ME is that I will surely die if this goes on much longer. Still, I am begging God for a breakthrough in THEM....and until He does, I need a change in ME...perhaps you know of what I speak. (It is the lack of breakthrough after much fasting that has caused me to feel that I am a failure at fasting)... Any prayers appreciated!

And as someone else mentioned, I have had to confess that at times I have fasted out of works, expecting results :(

2014/12/30 14:18Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Mama27 wrote: "at times I have fasted out of works, expecting results :("

But we are SUPPOSED to expect results when we pray and fast. Any great writer on prayer (Bounds, Murray, Spurgeon) will say this. It is not something to apologize about!

We are to ask like little children. When a child asks something reasonable from his parents (like something to eat) he expects to get it. If he feels guilty for expecting his parents to act, shame on the parents.

2014/12/30 16:01Profile
mama27

Re:

Expecting results, yes, when we fast in the Spirit. But when it is just a duty, a checking off the list type of thing, I don't think God honors that...It's like our 6-year old just "working us" to get something from us, and not having a spirit of love or obedience or connecting with us....it's like wanting the gift and not the Giver....

2014/12/30 17:50Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I agree we shouldn't fast just to say we fasted.

2014/12/30 19:11Profile
rufnrust

Indiana

Re:

I love this topic and ALL I am reading!

A note to MAMA27 on the family situation. I recommend something I learned from Watchman Nee on prayer. So simple but profound. We pray to God, for people, and against the enemy. For our family 'Thy kingdom come Thy will be done' etc... Then against the enemy, a good start is Psalm 35 1-10 or so. Crying out to our God 'Let our enemy be confounded'
'Arise O Lord and let the enemy be scattered!' etc... There are many Psalms that give us authority to pray this way.

I always like hearing from you here MAMA and will be praying with you on this.

Russell

2014/12/31 0:23Profile
mama27

Re:

Thank you Rufnrust for the prayer suggestions (AND the prayers).

Fasted today with Times Square Church....no breakthrough in THEM (my family) OR in ME. Well, maybe I can see that after listening to the featured sermon by Zac Poonen, that I am more yielded to "what do you want me to do Lord?" Surely He has heard my many cries, and will act in His time.

As an aside, when people fast, do you just sit in your chair all day (or days)and pray and read your Bible? I find that very difficult to do as a mother in a house with many people. I will read Scripture more than on a regular day, and I am focused on some reason I am fasting, and praying without ceasing, but I am not just set aside from work totally. Just wondering what others do?

2014/12/31 0:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy