Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : FASTING & PRAYER

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lysa

East TN for now!

FASTING & PRAYER

I was looking around SI and this topic was spread out a bit. After talking to Colin, I said, "Let’s get away from talking about prophets and talk about being called to be an intercessor because I can speak about my own struggles in this area!" His reply was, "I would love to as that is direction I am being led..."

This isn't "my" thread, so please if you have a testimony of what fasting has done in your life (or hasn't done in your life) and you feel led, please share.

If you have any quotes or articles on fasting, post them as well, anything to do with fasting and types of fasting. The Body of Christ will surely benefit from it!

God bless you all,
Lisa

2014/12/29 8:43Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: FASTING & PRAYER

Teacher: Derek Prince
Series: Bend the Church & Bow the World
Sermon: Self-Humbling through Prayer (4/6)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oxqZoblkAg

2014/12/29 9:05Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

I have some notes from a study that I did on fasting and prayer from Isaiah 58, this is the best place to start when considering fasting.

I have been fasting one day a week for many years; unfortunately it started with a wrong motive, I was kind of bargaining with God. After this study in Isaiah the Lord showed me the proper motives for fasting and I have continued in it with great blessing.

A STUDY ON FASTING AND PRAYER - Reading Isaiah 58

1)Improper reasons for fasting

•Fasting just to get God's attention (v. 3a)

•Fasting without focusing on the Lord, fasting had become a mere physical exercise with no affliction of soul or seeking after God.(v.3b)

•Fasting without accompanying humility of heart. Fasting is not a way of impressing God, it is a way to humble ourselves before Him.(v.4)

•Fasting for a brief external show of religion. Israel fasted merely for outward show.(v. 5)

2) Proper reasons for fasting

•To bring liberation from the bonds of wickedness and to set the oppressed free. Fasting prepares our hearts to hear what God has to say about issues in our life where we need victory.(v.6)

•To relieve us of heavy burdens, replacing our burdens of every-day life with His burdens.(v.6)(see Matthew 11:28-30)

•To increase our sensitivity towards the needs of others, remember not to stay focused on self, but love one another as Jesus loves you.(v. 7)

•To invest ourselves into our physical and spiritual families, becoming more responsive to the needs of brothers and sisters, husbands and wives.(v.7)

3)God's promises to those who fast

•Insight and understanding(v.8). God will give wisdom to solve problems and behave with discretion. (see Jeremiah 33:3)

•Positive changes in physical well-being (v.8)

•A deep sense of what is right (v.8 "your righteousness will go before you")

•A sense of immediate access to God in your prayer life(v.9). We do not pray to get God's attention we pray because we have His attention. Sometimes the world and sin can disrupt our fellowship with God, Setting aside time to pray and fast can bring us face to face with whatever has crept into our lives.(see Psalm 66:18 and 1John 1:9)

•Release from spiritual oppression (v.10) and a return to being strengthened by the joy of the Lord.

•Moment by moment guidance from the Lord (v.11). Prayer and fasting will heighten our awareness of God's presence and guidance.

•Peace through difficult times (v.11)

In Christ,

2014/12/29 10:27Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

I would also like to add some notes that I took from a Paul Washer interview where he spoke on fasting;

In Matthew 6 Jesus expected certain acts of piety from His followers:

1) They would be generous to the needy (v.3-5)
2) They would be a praying people (v. 5-7)
3) They would be a fasting people (v.16-18)

But we must be careful that these things are done for the glory of God and the good of others.

Fasting is not a means of manipulating God. It is not to be a self inflicted suffering.

It is about one passion driving out another passion. The passion for our Savior, and His will to be done, should be the motive that drives the passion for earthly things into nothingness in comparison. In this way it does not turn into legalism.

Let every pang of physical hunger turn our hearts and focus unto God.

The point of fasting is that we have a hunger for God and His will that drives out every other hunger.

Food is to be enjoyed but at the same time it must be taken in good sense and for good health.

There should be a sense of joy in fasting because it brings me closer to Christ.

2014/12/29 10:30Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Lysa, is it possible to talk about fasting and what it's done in our lives, without possibly announcing it with fanfare?

2014/12/29 10:41Profile
rufnrust

Indiana

I wish to answer Mr Bill with a yes on Lisa's behalf since for example we would never have any teaching on humility since we would be proud if we did. Teaching or testifying on a godly virtue or gracing doesn't mean we are 'sounding our trumpet' to impress everyone.

My wife and I have 5 children which has sent me to the prayer closet in fasting many times. Countless times we have seen breakthrough in our children when nobody knew we were humbling ourselves before God in secret. We have cried out for our enemies and people causing us trouble to see the LORD of Hosts pull down the stongholds over lives and relationships.

Faith and dependence grow when you have nothing else to draw from but Him. Taking the Word as your food and gaining strength in spirit while the flesh dies out is an amazing realm of pleasure in the Presence of God.

Now that my children are becoming adults, I have seen them turn to the Lord in fasting and prayer often. It gives me great joy as I have seen God 'show up' in their lives on many occasions.

Fasting is an important part of our life as disciples of Jesus. There doesn't have to be a crisis to prompt us. We may just want to spend the day with Jesus, His Word and some water just to be intimate with Him.

Russell

2014/12/29 14:26Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: MrBillPro

MrBillPro,

Like rufnrust said, yes, it is possible! Thank you rufnrust! I also think that this topic is one of the topics that NEED to be talked about from new and young Christians to old Christians but people are afraid they will be tooting their own horn, so to speak.

I've heard people brag about fasting (and brag about how many times they read the Bible through and through) and so what if someone comes on here and brags? :) Won't we still learn from it? (Learn how not to brag? :) ) Love covers a multitude of sins!!

I started this topic to learn from others how fasting has or hasn't worked in their lives. And how people incorporate prayer into a day, days or a weeks of fasting - like how much more do they pray?! Things like that, simple things that we take advantage of knowing and doing that others might benefit from!

Praise God we have a forum where we can post and learn!

Thank you InTheLight for your notes!!

God bless,
Lisa

2014/12/29 15:03Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

I used to practice what is called the fasted life usually when I was away working, everyday I would miss a meal and during that meal time I spent it with God.

As a encouragement to others the first time I started it I had asking God to do something specific in my life during the annual conference that the church used to have...

It was very difficult as there was a lot of warfare against my mind trying to get me to quit and give up and that I was crazy for trying. But I persevered through those attacks and God answered my prayers during the conference exactly as I requested.. I can remember to this day the joy that was released in me as I just sat and laughed.. The devil is a liar, he will try and discourage you but stick with it and pray through to victory...

Edit - spelling

2014/12/29 17:18Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

What a powerful and needed thread, thank you Lysa for allowing God to work through you to start it, and thank you all, for such sweet spirited discussion. May God continue to Bless these forums with these heartfelt discussions, I know personally I can use all these type discussions I can get.
God Bless!

2014/12/29 20:12Profile
mama27

Re:

I do not fast "well"....I most always get a migraine headache, and become shorter-tempered than is my normal way. I have fasted a number of times for breakthroughs with my family and children. Only a few times have I received specific verses from the Lord pertaining to given situations. I feel like a "failure" most times. Often I see no change in my circumstances or in seemingly emergency situations. I recently re-read Isaiah 58 several times. I am moved on my next fast to pray for change in ME...clearer eyes to see in ME...I have nothing helpful or profound to share, but perhaps others have a struggle in this area. Still, I continue to fast b/c it is a given in Scripture, and b/c it acknowledges my total humility and dependence on the Lord. I am glad people are sharing...

2014/12/29 23:48Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy