SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Mountains and the age of the Earth

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

What about passages like Deut 33:15 that talks about "ancient mountains" and Hab. 4:6 that talks about "ancient mountains" and "age-old hills?" According to young earth paradigm these mountains were practically brand new and in fact were likely still being created.

Even if the earth is 20 billion years old there is not enough time for evolution by chance processes so I am not clear what people are afraid of when considering the possibility that earth might be 4 or 6 billion years old.

I mean if it were absolutely proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that the earth was 5 billion years old, would you lose your faith?

And one other thing-- there are many other planets and moons out there like Mars etc that did not experience a great flood but have similar geologies- how are those mountain ranges etc explained?

2014/10/7 22:09Profile
staff

Re:

hi Tmk
The term ancient does not mean billions of years.
Up to the last 200 yrs or so we didnt use millions or billions to describe anything and a thousand yrs got its rightful place as being an extremely long period of time and 6000yrs could as well be 20million yrs in our minds.
By making the arguement without any evidence you are just giving a stepping stone to evolution as the main thing they preach in their religion is first millions and then billions.
If the earth is billions of years then Jesus is not Saviour.
The question is what is your motivation to think that the earth is old?.It is not evidence because it doesnt exist.Why do you believe atheistic teachings?
Believing in billions of years is just a teaching from a religion that has become a state religion.
Also The bible when mentioning time always uses correct time days and yrs when talking about History.We know they are talking about History because Adam was a real man and his age is given.God is factual when it comes to time.
I believe that billions of years is a "falling away" teaching.
As I said earlier in your belief system you are believing in people that have got evolution totally wrong.You believe in a group of people who are willing to make up fantasy stories instead of evidence.yours Staff
What about passages like Deut 33:15 that talks about "ancient mountains" and Hab. 4:6 that talks about "ancient mountains" and "age-old hills?" According to young earth paradigm these mountains were practically brand new and in fact were likely still being created.

Even if the earth is 20 billion years old there is not enough time for evolution by chance processes so I am not clear what people are afraid of when considering the possibility that earth might be 4 or 6 billion years old

2014/10/8 5:48Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

quote: "If the earth is billions of years then Jesus is not Saviour."

I have no idea what you are talking about here. That is what I mean- if it was absolutely established that the earth was billions of years old it seems like you would lose your faith. Why? Whether the earth is 6000 or 6 billion years old, God created it and Jesus came to save sinners.

I have not been "fooled" into being open to a billions of years old universe/earth. There is plenty of evidence for it that you say does not exist. You might be burying your head in the sand just a tad. I mean the same scientists that you say are either making stuff up at worst or dead but honestly wrong at best have a rover on Mars driving around taking soil samples etc etc and sending the results and photos back to earth. These guys aren't dumb hacks. Now I am not ruling out that some may have an evil agenda but for the most part I think they use the best science that is available to them to do their work. They can't rely on the Bible for rocket science (or any kind of science). So they have to rely on something else.

If you are so insistent that geologists are so wrong about the age of the earth and astrophysicists are so wrong about the age of the universe, what make you think that chemists, etc. have it right? We sure rely on their work every day of our lives. This laptop I am typing on is a good example.

Other Christians like Hank Hanegraaf are open to a billions of years old earth and believe me he is no slouch when it comes to handling scripture.

2014/10/8 6:25Profile
staff

Re:

Hi Tmk
you have choosen to believe the same atheists /experts who say there
is evolution a complete fantasy but do not question the same peoples judgement on real science.u look at there cv and say hes an learned expert he cant b wrong!you asked questions and when answered u skip to the next question. U are cherty picking .unless these demons dont exist who are very intelligent then these experts are under religous delusion
How do you measure the age of the earth?its not about sticking ur head in the sand its about how old is the sand?it cant b measured
urs staff

2014/10/8 10:05Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

TMK:

We have to remember that there were only 8 people on the face of the earth on the day the ark landed. These 8 people migrated south into the area we now know as Persia or Iran. They multiplied from there. We do not know how long it took for the Himalayas to rise to their current height. Actually, they are still rising, albeit slowly now. So men are right now witnessing their rise. But when the catastrophic flood processes were occurring, this rise would have been fairly rapid and in a part of the earth uninhabited at that time.

2014/10/8 10:18Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

TMK: If it were proven that the earth were 5 million or even 5 billion years old, would it shake my faith?

How can something that is contradictory to scripture be absolutely proven if he word of God is truth? I understand where you are coming from, and I have read the arguments on both sides. I realize that there is a debate about the interpretation of scripture. But I think you really have to get creative with your interpretation to believe that the earth is more than 6-7 thousand years old. To me, if the plain reading makes sense, why would I try to make any other sense of the account? If you are interpreting and one interpretation is forced while the other is plain, the plain interpretation is the correct interpretation. My faith rests in the finished work of Christ. I would like to say that an old earth would not shake my faith at all. But how can I consider something that to me cannot be possible?

2014/10/8 10:24Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

And millions of people slip into hell while we debate about trivial things...

2014/10/8 13:45Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
staff wrote:
I wonder what is the motivation to doubt what the bible simply says

Staff,

but the Bible "doesn't" simply say that... if it did, then there would be absolutely no argument with it.

2014/10/8 13:53Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Trivial things

It is trivial things that lure people to hell all the time. Paul says in 2 Corinthians, "We destroy arguments, and every proud thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God."

He recognized that there would be endless excuses people would use to deny the obvious before them, and the god of "science" is very powerful.

Nevermind that the earth was formed as a perfect habitation for man, that the entire universe was laid out so that the earth would last a long time.

Nevermind that the dual bios of plants and animals would reproduce themselves, that the pull of the moon would allow for weather to move, and a zillion other impossible conditions would align themselves to allow our lives to occur.

Age of the earth? Who knows. I am totally impressed that it is even here!

2014/10/8 14:02Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Quote: "and millions of people slip into hell while we debate about trivial things."

And perhaps millions are slipping into hell because they cannot believe a Bible that Christians say teaches the earth is only 6000 years old.

I think a little less dogmatism on this issue from the like of Ken Ham might do great things for the expansion of Gods kingdom.

This issue is far from "trivial" and my concern is not merely debating. There are many who do not consider Christianity because they view it as ridiculous in areas like this.

2014/10/8 14:17Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy