SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Practicing the Presence of God

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
PosterThread
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: Dear Murrcolr, then we shall agree to disagree, hopefully while not consigning anyone to the category of heretic. Tozer is widely read across denominational lines because he consistently pointed people towards Jesus. To take a couple of lines from someone and make of it something the author has never taught is, at the very least, bearing false witness.

I am fine with that, agreeing to disagree but since I am accused of being false witnesses as I used a few lines, to make it into something the author never taught let’s use a few more to see what’s being taught…

Towser Purist of God Chapter 7 Now, someone may ask, "Is not this of which you speak for special persons such as monks or ministers who have by the nature of their calling more time to devote to quiet meditation?

Quiet meditation????? --- Thomas Keating says; centering Prayer which is a method of silent prayer that prepares us to receive the gift of contemplative prayer.

Towser Purist of God Chapter 7: Many have found the secret of which I speak and, without giving much thought to what is going on within them, constantly practice this habit of inwardly gazing upon God.

It’s a “secret” what “constant practice this habit of inwardly gazing upon God”. ------ Thomas Keating says: Contemplative Prayer is the opening of mind and heart our whole being to God.

Towser Purist of God Chapter 7: When the habit of inwardly gazing Godward becomes fixed within us we shall be ushered onto a new level of spiritual life more in keeping with the promises of God and the mood of the New Testament.

When you persevere with and the habit (inwardly gazing Godward) is fixed, your ushered into a new spiritual life. ----- Thomas Keating says; Contemplative Prayer is a process of interior purification leading, if we consent, to divine union. Ahhh a new spiritual life…

Towser Purist of God Chapter 8: We shall find ourselves out of adjustment to the ways of the world, and increasingly so as we make progress in the holy way. We shall acquire a new viewpoint; a new and different psychology will be formed within us; a new power will begin to surprise us by its upsurgings and its outgoings.

Acquire a new viewpoint, new and different psychology formed within, a new power with upsurgings and outgoings ----

murrcolr calls that “The Kundalini awakening” and that's why he rejects the book..

2014/7/18 2:53Profile

Re:

Oracio wrote:

Quote:
When it comes to someone claiming to have heard God's voice audibly or anything similar to that, we must be cautious and test the spirits to see if they are from God. Throughout history it is due to those types of claims that many cults and heretical groups have been born.

Indeed and that is why we have scripture to confirm what God says, as He will never say anything that is opposed to it, it will be confirmed. Scripture however, is the fountain, but Christ is its source and primary revelation is to be direct communication with Him which is the way it has been for most of church history which was without a copy of the Bible for the average believer and those who were spiritually mature were to be classed as having authority and not just those having academic study of scripture.

Quote:
But haven't God's people also always existed outside the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox systems? Why do we need the writings of those who taught and believed such serious errors as taught within Roman Catholicism? For example, I was reading that St. Augustine believed and taught the following Catholic dogma:

I don't know enough about church history to comment on those who managed to exist outside of the church, but as today, there have always been those in the RCC who are spiritually enlightened and do not go along with what their church is teaching and of course, as Greg has said, the later teachings of the RCC. Of course, it was not the teachers as they would not be able to keep their positions. There has always been flexibility though for things that are not dogma. Some dogmas listed by you, are not properly understood by Protestants as Greg has pointed out earlier including when he said:

Quote:
Purgatory and praying for the departed - I am not sure if it is right that augustine started that thinking for it was implimented much later on in the dark ages.

Even today a number of Catholics believe that purgatory is to take place in this life whilst one is going through 'the dark night' and they do not believe in 'praying for the dead' if the departed are with Christ and alive in Him.

Quote:
We are sanctified by His Word of truth. We are washed through the Word. We are nourished and built up through the Word. It is a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path. We must meditate on it day and night. We must esteem it above our daily bread. And there are so many other wonderful benefits that come from treasuring the Word of God in our hearts.

Scripture tells us that Jesus is the Word (John 1).

Quote:
I think a clear distinction that needs to be made here is between seeking Christ, and seeking after an experience. Huge difference. One is in the Spirit and the other is in the flesh. If we focus on and seek after an experience we are sure to fail in finding true intimacy with Christ. We will find ourselves exerting ourselves in our own will power and it will always fail us. I have learned this principle the hard way and am still learning. May we seek after Christ through His appointed means. For as we do so He will be found by us as He has promised.

I am not talking about having esoteric experiences here, I am talking about hearing Christ speak to us directly and as a lamp that guides our feet so that we need not sin.

2014/7/18 3:36
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Murrcolr--

You really need to just stop denigrating AW Tozer who is one of the most respected and prophetic Christian leaders of the past 100 years.

To equate Tozer with anything associated with the "kundalini awakening" is nothing but a slanderous lie.

You obviously cannot grasp the truth of what Tozer was teaching in that classic book or you would not be saying such horrible things about such a great man of God.

I would certainly say to anyone following this thread to not be dissuaded from reading and listening to anything Tozer has ever wrote or said because of murrcolr's false accusations.

2014/7/18 8:08Profile

Re:

TMK writes............

"You really need to just stop denigrating AW Tozer who is one of the most respected and prophetic Christian leaders of the past 100 years. To equate Tozer with anything associated with the "kundalini awakening" is nothing but a slanderous lie.
You obviously cannot grasp the truth of what Tozer was teaching in that classic book or you would not be saying such horrible things about such a great man of God.I would certainly say to anyone following this thread to not be dissuaded from reading and listening to anything Tozer has ever wrote or said because of murrcolr's false accusations."

I agree entirely with the above comment by TMK. Very sad commentary indeed and without a shred of truth. Indeed a false accusation, murrcolr has certainly bore false witness against brother Tozer, may the Lord forgive him........bro Frank

2014/7/18 8:50

Re:

I have just read Tozer's book and there is nothing of the sort that Colin is claiming.

Tozer is speaking of the interior life of keeping our mind's eye on Jesus, which is what the Christian mystics of the past taught, which will lead us onto the pathway of becoming holy which has no correlation at all in eastern religions, being as they are, uninterested in the concept of sin.

It is a shame that a spiritual man like Tozer who has encouraged many on the path of seeking righteousness has had his reputation denigrated on this forum.

2014/7/18 10:25

Re:

Krautfrau writes...........

"I have just read Tozer's book and there is nothing of the sort that Colin is claiming.

Tozer is speaking of the interior life of keeping our mind's eye on Jesus, which is what the Christian mystics of the past taught, which will lead us onto the pathway of becoming holy which has no correlation at all in eastern religions, being as they are, uninterested in the concept of sin.

It is a shame that a spiritual man like Tozer who has encouraged many on the path of seeking righteousness has had his reputation denigrated on this forum. "

I wholeheartedly agree sister. The accusation against Tozer really just boggles the mind to anyone who has read him. Yet here is the thing I considered as I walked and prayed this morning. Saints all down through the ages have been falsely accused, maligned and had contempt poured upon them. I pray that I would be worthy enough to fall into the category that is maligned and falsely accused rather than be counted with those who falsely accuse and malign. And the wonder of it all was that those who found themselves falsely accused, loved their accusers. This can only be achieved by the Spirit of God. May the Lord pour out that Spirit upon us, and this would surely be an act of grace.............bro Frank

2014/7/18 12:46
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

I'd like to briefly comment in defense of brother murrcolr here. Just because he happens to question some of the writings or teachings of Tozer it doesn't make him a false witness. Tozer was not infallible, neither was Ravenhill, Wesley, Spurgeon, Whitefield, etc. While we can embrace these men of God as brethren and expect to see them in heaven some day, it doesn't mean we cannot or should not use discernment regarding their writings. They are not Scripture.

From reading some of C.S. Lewis' writings and seeing certain RCC errors in them I don't like any of his books. And I know that to many Christians I'll be seen as odd on account of that. If brother murrcolr feels the same about Tozer's book because he senses RCC mysticism in it, so be it, we can agree to disagree respectfully.

2014/7/18 15:39Profile

Re:

Hi Oracio, I think you need to re-read the comments. It is not about men being infallible or not questioning men , its about, well....this

"murrcolr calls that “The Kundalini awakening” and that's why he rejects the book.."

This is murcolr summing up of the book " The Pursuit of God." He claims that Tozer is teaching eastern practices, he does not. That is not a matter of opinion, he does not teach eastern practices nor does he teach or endorse " the Kundalini awakening." Not true is not true Oracio. Is there another name for making false claims about a brother?.....bro Frank

2014/7/18 17:47
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

But they cried out with a loud voice, and covered their ears and rushed at him with one impulse, when they had driven him out of the city, they began stoning him.

2014/7/18 20:21Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I don't think this quite compares to the stoning of Stephen.

Lighten up dude.

2014/7/18 20:36Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy