SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Evangelical Sex Abuse Record 'Worse' Than Catholic

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Evangelical Sex Abuse Record 'Worse' Than Catholic

AUSTIN, Texas (RNS) The Christian mission field is a “magnet” for sexual abusers, Boz Tchividjian, a Liberty University law professor who investigates abuse said Thursday (Sept. 26) to a room of journalists.

While comparing evangelicals to Catholics on abuse response, ”I think we are worse,” he said at the Religion Newswriters Association conference, saying too many evangelicals had “sacrificed the souls” of young victims.

“Protestants can be very arrogant when pointing to Catholics,” said Tchividjian, a grandson of evangelist Billy Graham and executive director of Godly Response to Abuse in the Christian Environment (GRACE), which has investigated sex abuse allegations.

Earlier this summer, GRACE spearheaded an online petition decrying the “silence” and “inattention” of evangelical leaders to sexual abuse in their churches.

Mission agencies, “where abuse is most prevalent,” often don’t report abuse because they fear being barred from working in foreign countries, he said. Abusers will get sent home and might join another agency. Of known data from abuse cases, 25 percent are repeat cases, he said

read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/01/protestant-sex-abuse-boz-tchividijian_n_4019347.html

2014/7/8 11:30Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re: Evangelical Sex Abuse Record 'Worse' Than Catholic

Revelation 9:21 ESV

21 nor did they repent of their murders or their sorceries or their sexual immorality or their thefts.

I shake at the anger God must be ready to pour upon this world., and especially those of us who call the name of Christ only to leverage Him for our own pleasures and abuses.

My wife was a child abuse investigator for the state for 5 years. Pastors and youth pastors were not the rarest among perpetrators. I have personally represented (as appointed counsel) one youth pastor sex offender. Yes, there are likely as many or more sex abusers among Protestant groups as among Catholics.

2014/7/8 11:47Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

It is a rampant problem; I have to deal with this issue at my job on a far too regular basis.

***1 in 10*** children in the US will be sexually abused by the time they are 18, almost invariably by someone they (and the child's family) know and trust. That means 400,000 children born in the US this year will be sexually abused by their 18th birthday unless something is done to prevent it. Only 38% of children disclose abuse.

http://goo.gl/mRM6Id

2014/7/8 18:36Profile
Sree

Re: Evangelical Sex Abuse Record 'Worse' Than Catholic

All this is because we send Half baked Christians as missionaries. We are more concerned about the need for spreading Gospel to the unreached than making disciple. That is why in hurry we send those who are not disciples as missionaries. Also most of these mission works are more concerned about sending report of their work and getting more money from Christians in west. Sad situation.

Instead of looking into the need in the world, let us wait patiently to hear the burden of God and then do accordingly.

2014/7/8 23:44Profile
brothagary

Re:

good point sree ,,,rather then half baked christian ,,false brethern ,,he who is born of god does not sin for gods seed is in him ,so he can not practic sin ,,,he who sins has neither seen god nor noen god

but who is this gye ,,i doubt he is christian him self

how does he know all this ,,and yet this is forine to most of us ???

he says most abuse is not reported ,,then how does he even know if it is not reported

i would like to see where he gets his evidence and imformation from before excepting a serious allagation like that ,,,,i think he should provide this imformation to the public ,,before he slanders the evengelicl movment ,,,,it just doesnt seem like the right way reveal a truth ,if it is a truth

just becasue hes billy graham grandson ,doesnt give him any more rights to say stuff like thiis with out giving reference

2014/7/9 3:28Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

i would like to see where he gets his evidence and imformation from before excepting a serious allagation like that ,,,,i think he should provide this imformation to the public ,,before he slanders the evengelicl movment ,,,,it just doesnt seem like the right way reveal a truth ,if it is a truth

just becasue hes billy graham grandson ,doesnt give him any more rights to say stuff like thiis with out giving reference

True, Catholic Church is not going to give him info on how many such cases got reported against their fathers. How can someone collect that info and then do a comparative study with protestant missionaries? It is a lot complex study to do, without proof a person cannot make such talks.

2014/7/9 4:59Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

quote:
"how does he know all this ,,and yet this is forine to most of us ???

he says most abuse is not reported ,,then how does he even know if it is not reported

i would like to see where he gets his evidence and imformation from before excepting a serious allagation like that ,,,,i think he should provide this imformation to the public ,,before he slanders the evengelicl movment ,,,,it just doesnt seem like the right way reveal a truth ,if it is a truth"

With all due respect Gary, your statement is an example of the reason child sexual abuse is such a rampant problem. We bury our head in the sand and attack the accuser or those seeking to do something about it. I know specifically of a family who had to move from their community because the community attacked and railed against their little girl who accused a beloved youth sports coach of sexually abusing her. The community was relentless against this family. Until it was later proven that this coach abused not only that girl but many young girls on THOUSANDS of occasions. And this is not the Jerry Sandusky case at Penn State.

Vist the website I linked to and do some reading. This is a very widespread issue in our culture and to think the percentages and proportions do no hold true in evangelical circles is burying your head in the sand.

I would agree however that child abusers are not Chrsitians--regardless of who they are or what their position is. no way Jose.

2014/7/9 6:26Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

How did this fellow get the info that sexual abuse is not reported?

I can tell you about one place - go to any Crises Pregnancy Center and ask them! I have worked there and part of our job was to ask our clients. At that point in time it was said the stats showed a 20-25% of females had been victims. So one day I decided to do my own research with my clients. I kept a chart recording my findings, and yes it was true. It is also true that my findings can be suspect because we did not go into the byways and hedges to find our subjects, just those that came in to our center for pregnancy testing. I do not recall any of these victims having reported to the law their abuse. They are too ashamed to do so and doing so will force them to relive it in the courtroom.

(There was one case that angered me a long time whenever I thought about it. A young woman got pregnant - she was married but very young - and her OB GYN convinced her her baby was deformed and that she needed an therapeutic abortion. She went to Jackson, had the baby taken. She insisted on seeing the child. They eventually brought it to her and she said it was perfect. I do not believe in suing but I did urge it in this case but she did not want to relive this emotional trauma on the witness stand.)

Retelling their story to a probing lawyer who will work to discredit the testimony is intimidating to a victim. And...and...like it or not, some females do lie about them being a victim - some incidents were consensual, not rape. Because of this no body wins and for the most part it will hurt other women indirectly because the law wants to be double sure they will not be prosecuting the wrong person. Too bad the liar cannot be prosecuted.

Dolfan, I wonder how can you as a Believer defend a sex offender in court? Was he guilty? I know if a fellow does it once he immediately becomes a suspect in future cases. Just wondering.

Yes, I believe the stats...based on my interviews at the CPC. Why? Because I heard too many stories of clergy and their staff being involved in fornication. Made me lose a lot of respect for clergy - I used to put them on a pedestal because my grandfather was one and I highly respected him - figured all preachers were good men! Sorry - not true. If this happens stateside why should one not think it would happen elsewhere. You see, if the church people take a lackadaisical attitude towards fornication, adultery, divorce and remarriage why should one expect otherwise on the mission field?

If you want it different you better start cleaning up here in the home church so if it happens on the field these perpetrators will be sent home in disgrace - not allow them to continue in the field under the banner of forgiveness.

Yes, I have strong opinions on a few subjects - surprised?!

ginnyrose

2014/7/9 7:25Profile
brothagary

Re:

tmk dont accuse me of attacking the abused ,you might do that i dont,, never have,, my questions a ligit and honest,,, and i think if we cant at leasts provide the publice information then i dont think it is wright to lable a movment or a cult as a sexual abuses or what ever

sree made a good point that the catholic church would not have provided the imformation need to uses as a comparisin againsts the evengelical movement ,,and if the did i like to see it rather then here it from billy grahams grand son ,,,something doesnt sit right with me when any one accuse an organisation to the public ,,but doesnt show hwere the sorce or reference are regarding the acusation

it not even an honest way to raise awereness ,,it sort of remains a conspiracy theroy ,,,,,this shgould be all over the news bigtime ,,just like the abuse in the catholic church

2014/7/10 3:04Profile
brothagary

Re:

wops im sorry tmk you said im attacking the accuser not the abused ,,no im not attacking ,,evedenc is allways a a good thing to have ,,thats all who is he where does go to get his imformation ,,

2014/7/10 3:09Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy