SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Pure Milk of the Word

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
PosterThread
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Ecc 5:1
Walk prudently when you go to the house of God; and draw near to hear rather than to give the sacrifice of fools, for they do not know that they do evil.

According to the verse above, can you identify your motivation for reading Scripture?

Ask God to show you, for the word of God is able to show you the intents of your heart.

2014/7/9 20:06Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

I can always walk more prudently.

There are days when I read the scriptures and it's for me. And there are days when it is to know Him more.

The Lord is teaching me better day to day. Thanks for the verse rookie.

2014/7/10 0:15Profile
brothagary

Re:

1Pe 2:1
Therefore, laying aside all malice, all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and all evil speaking,

1Pe 2:2
as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby,fn

1Pe 2:3
if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious

comeing unto him as a living stone ,,rected inded my men .but chosen and presiuos of god

can i submit ,,that the context ,,spoken of here is not the scripture being the pure milk of the word ,,,but it is the word of god who his jesus him self

hence is why verse 3 tells the lord can be tasted .,.and that if yo have tasted the lord ,,you should desire more of him ,,, i think we can miss the whole point of the passage ,,i would more liken this verse to mean draw near to god in prayer ,,,remember the days leding up to your baptism in his spirit ,or the day you were born againg ,,that manfest presence of jesus ,was so so real

then desire more of that that pure milk of his presence that sweet life giving spirit that comes from jesus bosom

2014/7/10 3:52Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

havok20x wrote...

I can always walk more prudently.

The Scripture I posted was not meant to single you out as an individual...I posted it to all who might be on this thread...and yes we might all be blessed by being more prudent in the walk.

Ecc 5:1
Walk prudently when you go to the house of God; and draw near to hear rather than to give the sacrifice of fools, for they do not know that they do evil.

The verse above states that there is a conflict between God's religion and man's religion. God's religion requires that man prudently desire to hear from God on what his is to do. Man's religion is vanity, for the sacrifices he offers does not give him understanding in the ways he does evil in God's sight. Salvation or the freeing of the bonds of Satan can only be found in hearing and doing when God speaks. One must receive the love of the truth through walking with the Lord. There is no other way.

So do we view reading Scripture as a sacrifice or as a means to hear God?

2014/7/10 6:59Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

brothagary wrote:

can i submit ,,that the context ,,spoken of here is not the scripture being the pure milk of the word ,,,but it is the word of god who his jesus him self

Heb 10:7
Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come—
In the volume of the book it is written of Me—
To do Your will, O God.' ”fn

Yes I agree whole heartedly with you. In terms of the written Scriptures, Jesus says that the entire OT is a witness of HIs work in God's creation from the foundation of this world. And these Scriptures are given to us so that we might recognize how God is working in our own lives. And we know that the rhema of God is the word spoken to us through the Holy Spirit. And we know that the Holy Spirit gives to us what is of Christ...

According to the book of Hebrews, the earthly priest offered sacrifices which could not change a man's nature, but Christ, according to the order of Melchizedec also has something to offer...what is the nature of HIs offering?

2014/7/10 7:08Profile
brothagary

Re:

i agree brother please dont think im downplaying the writtern word of god ,,not at all i just feel that verse is speaking about the person of christ his presesence

i think the nature of his offrering was his nature devinnature ,,and he offerd his righeousnes to be acounted to us the righeousness of god ,,but there much more in the offering

2014/7/10 7:27Profile

Re:

I don't think Jesus who is the Word of God can be separated from His spoken word.

In John 8:31-32 He speaks that those who continue in His Word will be set free. But then a few verses further He says if the Son makes you free you will be free indeed.

While I am thinking on this. When it says in Col. 3:16 let the word of Christ dwell in you richly. Are we speaking of the spoken, written word of Jesus dwelling on us? The actual Word of Christ Himself dwelling in us? Or both.

Just wondering?

Blaire

2014/7/10 8:34
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

This Scripture is commentary for the second set of verses...

Phl 3:8
Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ

Phl 3:9
and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;

Phl 3:10
that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death,

Phl 3:11
if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.

Phl 3:12
Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.

Phl 3:13
Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead,

Phl 3:14
I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

Ecc 5:18
Here is what I have seen: It is good and fitting for one to eat and drink, and to enjoy the good of all his labor in which he toils under the sun all the days of his life which God gives him; for it is his heritage.

Ecc 5:19
As for every man to whom God has given riches and wealth, and given him power to eat of it, to receive his heritage and rejoice in his labor—this is the gift of God.

Ecc 5:20
For he will not dwell unduly on the days of his life, because God keeps him busy with the joy of his heart.

These two men speak from the same source...the Holy Spirit. The upward call of God in Christ speaks of God giving man understanding and knowledge of His selected work for that man. And in that work. man will find a joy that satisfies. And that man will come to know and comprehend the love that God has for him. Those who approach the Scriptures with a humble heart, and seek to hear and learn will find the ancient path.

Jhn 8:12
Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”

2014/7/10 9:46Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

Chapter divisions....ugh.

So I decided to read from chapter 1 to chapter 2. So here is the context:

Quote:
Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart, having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever, because

“All flesh is as grass,
And all the glory of man as the flower of the grass.
The grass withers,
And its flower falls away,
But the word of the Lord endures forever.”

Now this is the word which by the gospel was preached to you.

Therefore, laying aside all malice, all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and all evil speaking, as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby, if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious.

Okay, so the word in this context seems to be thus: salvation attained through Jesus Christ only, not by works of the flesh. He's talking about the Gospel here.

Not necessarily the Scriptures (which must be utilized in any presenation of the Gospel) and not just Jesus (who is the One who saved us) and not just the Holy Spirit (by Whom we are regenerated) but probably all of it.

So wouldn't that mean the pure milk of the word in this context is referring to what Paul called the "simplicity that is in Christ" in 2 Cor 11?

2014/7/10 11:03Profile

Re:

Hmm. Good thoughts and question Havok. Peter does exhort his hearers to grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ in 2 Peter 3:18.

Something to meditate on. Thank you for sharing.

Blaine

2014/7/10 12:55

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy