Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Tower of Babel and the space race

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Tower of Babel and the space race

Not too long ago I came across a post on discussion board by an Atheist that caused me to pause. A picture was shown of the Tower of Babel and it was captioned something to the effect of 'God judged these people for building to the heavens'. Another picture showed what appeared to be a satellite over the Earth. It was captioned 'God decided not to judge man for getting into space.'

Why do you suppose these 2 scenarios seem to be so separate? After all, Scientists are the ones who got man into space and are using it for the ' betterment' of mankind yet you will find most of them don't have a belief in God at all. When asked they will refer to the Big Bang and the evidence for it if it exists at all.

How does a Christian approach this scenario?

John

2014/4/14 19:19Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Tower of Babel and the space race

The heavens declare the glory of God, so lets go check them out. Outer space is pretty awesome in my opinion. I've fead a lot about the Apollo program and its fascinating.

Don't you think God placed in man a desire to explore? I sure do. We have nothing to be afraid of. It can only lead to the truth about the universe.

Babel was an issue because the men said they wanted to be like gods. I havent heard any astronauts say that. They just want to check things out.

2014/4/14 22:21Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Did men back then do it as a religious belief experience whereas men now do it for mere exploration? Is this the difference?

2014/4/16 15:42Profile

what do you guys think of the Book of Jasher?

because it contains extra-biblical details about the situation with the Tower of Babel and the king at the time, Nimrod, who was NOT following God's ways.

2014/4/16 19:14
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

You should review this article:

Question: "What is the Book of Jasher/Jashar and should it be in the Bible?"
http://www.gotquestions.org/book-of-Jasher.html

2014/4/16 19:23Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I never heard of the book of jashar. Something else to look at.

2014/4/16 22:10Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

The article Greg posted is a good summary.

Along the same lines, Jude quoted from the Book of Enoch which also did not make it into scripture. It is interesting however.

2014/4/16 22:14Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

I think it is a misunderstanding of what happened at Babel. God's issue with mankind at Babel was not about man reaching into the atmosphere or even beyond. It was about obedience. God had commanded man to spread out over the earth after the flood. They said, "lest we be scattered" There was surely idolatry and pride involved, but the ultimate purpose of building the structure was so they would gather around it and not be scattered. So God confused their languages, forcing them to disperse as they could no longer communicate.

Our desire to expand into space may have once been driven by a quest for scientific discovery, but now seems to be driven by other motives entirely. It seems that godlessness has led men to believe that we may soon need space in order to expand into as well as believing there may be other inhabited worlds.

2014/4/16 22:32Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Hey twayneb

Can you expand a little on your last sentence? I am not sure what godlessness has to do with either point. I agree it might but that applies to any endeavor. you seem to be saying it is godless to explore other planets etc.

2014/4/17 7:02Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Quote:

I think it is a misunderstanding of what happened at Babel. God's issue with mankind at Babel was not about man reaching into the atmosphere or even beyond. It was about obedience. God had commanded man to spread out over the earth after the flood. They said, "lest we be scattered" There was surely idolatry and pride involved, but the ultimate purpose of building the structure was so they would gather around it and not be scattered. So God confused their languages, forcing them to disperse as they could no longer communicate.

Your comments confuse me about why you think they were scattered. The ultimate purpose was to gather around the tower but then for what reason? The bible says they wanted it to reach into the heavens. In this sense they wanted to be as God?
In modern times science is using the space race to develop technology but they are also looking for origins to the Universe but it is hard to find any notion of God in their thesis of explanation. Were people more religious back then then they are now and is this the explanation back then?

Does this make sense?

2014/4/17 9:00Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy