SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Entertainment vs. Recreation

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Just_in

I used the word usually to mean in most cases but not all.meaning that there are many who use leisure time for self gratification, but not that everyone does this. Sorry if my post was confusing. I was trying to be "real" in what I was saying. What I wrote I meant for myself as well. I often think if I just focused on Jesus and did not get caught up in worrying what other might think or say I would be just fine. After all HE would not lead me to do something that was out of HIS will or a waste of time.

Who can say what is profitable in another persons life and how they spend there time? I cant . God may lead you to go with a brother to a ball game and praise HIM for that while HE may lead me to something else and I still praise HIM for that. I know the LORD has often used times of fellowship among some brothers while they play golf . I personally do not see this as preaching relegion but am thankful for the LORD working in others lives.

God bless
Maryjane

2014/4/3 0:09Profile

Re:

It is very hard to see what is going on in someone's heart, so then many religionists attempt to label outward things as "sin". There is inward adultery that many may not see outwardly, but God never misses anything.

I could really careless about a ball game, but certainly don't begrudge or judge my brother or sister if they want to go to one.

Remember, many of the religionists of Jesus' time judged Him based on His outward activities of hanging out with drunkards and sinners. What would the church do today if Jesus went into bars to eat with drunkards and talk to them? What would the church think if they saw Jesus by Himself in public with a lady who had already had 5 husbands. Or what would the Church whisper to each other if they saw Jesus with a prostitute or telling a sinner that He was going to come home with him tonight for some leisure and dinner?

2014/4/3 1:19
Sree

Re:

1 Cor 6- 12:-All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by anything.

I think the above scripture should be our standard. A Christian should not be mastered by any entertainment or recreational activity. I used to play lot of tennis 1 year back and was petty good in it. I used to play tournaments. I used tennis to relieve me of my work pressure. I was in a high pressure job that required managing a team for delivering within tight deadline. Soon I found that I was getting addicted to Tennis as my stress buster. I was not able to accept a situation where I was without tennis for more than 3 or 4 days. I felt like I deserved few games of tennis once in 2 days for to compensate my work pressure. I felt sad and the joy of serving the Lord departed from me when I was not playing the game due to weather or busy schedule. I believe this is a deceitfulness of worldly pleasure that Jesus spoke. Tennis started mastering me. A game which was perfectly legal became my master. With lot of continuous struggle, Lord was able to bring me out of this mess. I still play the game once in a while but I am no longer affected for not playing this game.

If there is an event or recreation without which we cannot survive then we are masted by it. Our freedom in Christ is gone and sold to this recreation.

2014/4/3 3:22Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

That is a good illustration, Sree. Thanks.

2014/4/3 6:24Profile
MaryJane

Re:

by just-in on 2014/4/2 22:19:16

It is very hard to see what is going on in someone's heart, so then many religionists attempt to label outward things as "sin". There is inward adultery that many may not see outwardly, but God never misses anything.

I agree it is just about impossible to see what is going on in the heart of another. We are told to know each other by our fruit not by outward appearances. Only GOD can see the heart of a man/women and so its best to leave judging to HIM.

Just-in wrote:I could really careless about a ball game, but certainly don't begrudge or judge my brother or sister if they want to go to one.

I hold nothing against a brother/sister doing what ever the LORD leads them to do in their lives. I believe if we spend our time in prayer asking GOD to show us, HE will lead us to the things HE wants and has for us each day. If JESUS is LORD of my life then I should consult HIM as to what my day will look like. That is why I said that if we pray and ask GOD what HE would have for us each day there might be some who are surprised by the answer, HE might have for us to spend time in leisure today and sharing with someone. Either way I give thanks.

Just-in wrote:Remember, many of the religionists of Jesus' time judged Him based on His outward activities of hanging out with drunkards and sinners. What would the church do today if Jesus went into bars to eat with drunkards and talk to them? What would the church think if they saw Jesus by Himself in public with a lady who had already had 5 husbands. Or what would the Church whisper to each other if they saw Jesus with a prostitute or telling a sinner that He was going to come home with him tonight for some leisure and dinner?

I don't know how to answer this or respond to this except with my own heart and belief. I believe the true CHURCH (the BRIDE) would know HIS voice and trust HIM.

(perhaps these questions above are just rhetorical, but that is my heart on the matter)

Thank you for sharing your thoughts here with me. I appreciate that you took the time to do so.

God bless
maryjane

2014/4/3 8:09Profile

Re:

Thank you for your replies, MaryJane. I appreciate your thoughtful posts and patience in trying to work through difficult and sometimes controversial topics. May you have a blessed day in the Lord.

2014/4/3 8:47
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Wonder what the Christians of today might have thought of Jesus, he went to many different places, did many different things to reach the people. Jesus sat down by the well, only place he could go to reach the woman. He waited, Jesus positioned himself where the lost world was. He went where the Religious (Jews) would not go. We work, play, eat in places where we can reach people outside of the building. This doesn’t mean that Jesus condoned her behavior, It does mean that Jesus was willing to dwell near sin, in order to reach people who are in sin.

2014/4/3 9:29Profile
proudpapa

Re:

Sree, well said

2014/4/3 9:34Profile
MaryJane

Re:

by MrBillPro on 2014/4/3 6:29:56

Wonder what the Christians of today might have thought of Jesus, he went to many different places, did many different things to reach the people. Jesus sat down by the well, only place he could go to reach the woman. He waited, Jesus positioned himself where the lost world was. He went where the Religious (Jews) would not go. We work, play, eat in places where we can reach people outside of the building. This doesn’t mean that Jesus condoned her behavior, It does mean that Jesus was willing to dwell near sin, in order to reach people who are in sin.

Greetings MrBill

You have been on my heart very much over the past week or so. I pray you are well.

I agree JESUS was willing to meet people where they are but HE never left them there did HE(Praise GOD) Sadly I have had those in the world who know just enough of the Bible use these truths that JESUS ate with sinners to continue on in their own sin. Its heartbreaking to see the truth twisted in such a way, yes JESUS ate with sinner, yes HE spoke to the woman at the well but HE never lowered HIMSELF down into the sin they were in. Instead they saw in HIM such character and truth, it was beyond anything they had ever experienced in their and I am sure as we can read it had an affect upon them. I think that is the heart of the issue in all of this, when I look to myself can I say that people see JESUS in me, so much so that they ask questions, that they want to know HIM? If not, then it really does not matter where I spend my time or with whom I spend it does it...

I fear that I have probably gotten off topic more then I should have. It does happen from time to time :)

Thank you for sharing here with us.
God bless
mj

2014/4/3 9:45Profile

Re:

Quote:
by MaryJane

I agree JESUS was willing to meet people where they are but HE never left them there did HE(Praise GOD).

Actually, He did leave many where they chose to stay and He continued on with the will of God. It is not automatic that a man will come to Christ, just because Christ comes to them.

Quote:
Sadly I have had those in the world who know just enough of the Bible use these truths that JESUS ate with sinners to continue on in their own sin. Its heartbreaking to see the truth twisted in such a way, yes JESUS ate with sinner, yes HE spoke to the woman at the well but HE never lowered HIMSELF down into the sin they were in.

No, but He would not be afraid to lower Himself into their environment. To go where the sinner was rather than having a conference in the Temple and marketing the 3 day conference on billboards, radio and TV to make sure all the sinners came to the Temple to hear the important things He had to say. He was much more than just talk. He personified what it means to be a "Doer of the Word".

I wonder what Christendom would really be like if people truly heeded His voice as He heeded the Father's voice?

Quote:
I fear that I have probably gotten off topic more then I should have. It does happen from time to time :)

Thank you for sharing here with us.
God bless
mj

Don't worry about getting "off topic". Conversations are like that. They grow ever wider which is a good thing.

2014/4/3 10:47

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy