SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : World Vision Reverses Decision on Gay Married Employees: We Made a Mistake

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I'm glad the good Samaritan that picked up a man on the road to Jericho checked out the ethical credentials of everybody before he left the man to be cared for. God forbid the innkeeper were gay.

2014/3/27 15:18Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

No one has answered my question: was it good that world vision reversed their decision or not?

Jesus told a story about 2 brothers. One said to his father he would work in the field but didn't, the other said he wouldn't but did. Jesus said the latter brother did the will of the father.

Based on the attitude I am seeing here, if a person in a church is confronted by a brother or brothers for a particular sin he should not be given any credit for stopping the sin because " maybe his heart isn't in it." If that is our attitude why approach him at all?

But it is important that the sin stop--God can work on the heart.

It seems like posters here are more upset that this organization reversed their unbiblical position than they were about the original decision. That my friends is ridiculous.

2014/3/27 15:19Profile
yuehan

Re:

KingJimmy,

You had written in an earlier thread:

Quote:
"They've probably been hiring unbiblically divorced and remarried people for decades now. How is this different?"

I understand where you're coming from. But World Vision claims to be a Christian relief organizaton, and any organization bearing the name of Christ should endeavour to provide an accurate representation of who Christ is - not only in deed, but also in the beliefs it professes.

I would agree that Christian organizations should not discriminate against repentant sinners, or against those who do not condone sin yet are struggling with it (practically all Christians fall into those two categories). But it's quite another thing to employ someone who is unrepentant, openly flaunt their sin and work against the truth. It should be noted that before this, World Vision already had restricted themselves to hiring Christian staff (whether that is a wise decision for Christian aid organizations, I don't have an opinion).

The original statement by World Vision on its decision to employ married gay Christians is pretty telling - the organization had decided to defer to "the authority of local churches" on the issue of marriage, rather than deferring to God Himself. With this backflip, I wonder if the organization has truly deferred to God or is still deferring to man (this time its sponsors).

I want to give in Jesus' name - because without Him, I would not be extending help to others (and logically, I would see little reason for that in a universe without God). I want others to know that it is God who is behind my giving, and I believe that is the sentiment of many other Christians too. World Vision is certainly not the only aid organization around bearing the Christian label.

2014/3/27 15:23Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

You can give to secular, sacred, and profane organizations in Jesus name. What they do with the money, and who they have spend it on what, is ultimately going to be between them and God.

It's like a homeless man begging for money on the street. Do you shut up the generosity in your heart and fail to show him mercy simply because he might go spend the money on booze or drugs? Or do you give to him anyway?

I give to him anyway. If I see a geniune need and have the opportunity do good, I won't withold doing good from any man, woman, or child, and I will do it in the name of the Lord, even if others take his name in vain.

2014/3/27 15:30Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

American Christianity, where we're so removed from actual suffering that we use child starvation as a bargaining chip against gay marriage.

2014/3/27 15:33Profile
yuehan

Re:

KingJimmy,

Quote:
You can give to secular, sacred, and profane organizations in Jesus name. What they do with the money, and who they have spend it on what, is ultimately going to be between them and God.

With aid organizations, you're not giving to an organization - but you're giving to the needy and the poor through an organization. There is no wrong in hoping that the recipients would know that the giving is done in Jesus' name. That's why the organization through which the giving is done matters.

I would probably be more at peace donating through a secular relief organization, than a 'Christian' organization which offers a false representation of Christ.

2014/3/27 15:35Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

From what I remember reading on the World Vision website, they don't actively evangelize those they provide aid to. They are not like Samaritans Purse, which does. World Vision sounds like they just give wherever there is a need. They say they do that in Jesus name. Now, whether they actually do give in Jesus name, I don't know. But that doesn't stop me from giving in Jesus name.

2014/3/27 15:39Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

I don't remember Peter and John in Acts going to find some money for the beggar so that they could secure an opportunity to witness to him.

Jesus did not feed the hungry and poor so that he could gain an audience. Jesus fed the hungry and poor to verify that He was who He said He was--the Son of God and Savior of all mankind. Remember, He said to believe, even if it was for the sake of the works that He did.

As Paul Washer has said, "We are called to advance a kingdom" and just because the King's subjects go feed poor people outside of the kingdom does NOT mean that they will be more likely to entertain the Gospel. It is the King who beckons them to come and because of THAT do people come to Christ.

2014/3/27 16:05Profile
MaryJane

Re:

by appolus on 2014/3/27 11:59:55

I wonder how many people will die and spend an eternity in hell because so many are not concerned about Truth, the Word of God and holiness? The question may be are we prepared to stand by and watch people with full stomachs go on to hell because we are ashamed of the Truth which is the power of God unto salvation?

The Salvation Army started out with a bold vision, the Spiritual imperative to see souls pulled from a raging storm that was drowning the masses and pulling them down into an eternal hell, and they fed the poor also. If we only feed people then we are good humanists. If the primary goal is to feed the souls of men with manna from heaven and living waters from above then we are fulfilling our calling and the feeding of the poor is a by-product of this, not the primary object. Once the feeding of the poor becomes the primary object, then we are merely a charitable organization , Christian or otherwise.........bro Frank

Greetings Frank

I was thinking over this matter and thinking that perhaps we are beginning to see more sifting happening? Those who are HIS will stand on HIS WORD and not walk in compromise and those who are not will walk the way of the world. In the end I do fear that many will fall away because of compromise and still believe they are doing the work of GOD all the while...

God bless
maryjane

2014/3/27 16:08Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Is there is anything in scripture to say that we can't work with people who don't share our values?

2014/3/27 16:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy