SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Scripturess support the teaching of an eternal hell

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

Scripturess support the teaching of an eternal hell

Google definition of eternal is existing or lasting forever, without end or beginning.

Verses which speak of eternal hell or eternal fire or eternal punishment are,

Matthew 18:8
If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it from you, it is better for you to enter life crippled or lame then to have two hands or two feet, and be cast into the "eternal fire".

Mathew 25:46
These will go away into "eternal punishment", but the righteous into "eternal life".

2 Thessalonians 1:9
These will pay the penalty of "eternal destruction" away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,

Jude 7
just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strang flesh, are exhibited as an example and undergoing the punishment of "eternal fire".

Jude 12-13
These are the men who are hidden reefs in your love feasts when they feast with you without fear, caring for themselves; clouds without water, carried along by winds, autumn trees without fruit, doubly dead, uprooted; wild waves of the sea, casting up their own shame like foam; wandering stars, for whom the black darkness has been reserved "for ever" ,

Saints there are some in this forum who reject the truth of an eternal hell. I believe this is a fundamental Christian doctrine. As such I felt compelled the open up this thread and set forth the case for eternal punishment.

The verses above and speak of an eternal hell. They speak of a destiny that awaits those who reject Jesus Christ.

There are probably new believers in Christ who access this forum. For their sakes I must contend for the truth that the Scriptures teach an eternal hell.

Also I feel compelled to state that ultimate reconciliation or universalism is not biblical. There is no scriptural proof that can establish this doctrine.

the doctrine of eternal punishment has been a truth the historic church has taught. It has been taught from the word. It has been hammered out and reflected in various creeds and confessions from various theological view points.

Thus historic Christianity does hold that those who reject Jesus Christ will suffer eternal torment in a fiery hell.

Knowing that there is eternal punishment that await those without Christ, we should be more fervent in our evangelism. We should be more engaged and telling those without Christ how they can escape an eternal hell by having eternal life through faith in Jesus Christ.

Posted by Blaine Scogin

2014/3/2 18:04
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Scripturess support the teaching of an eternal hell

Why would you start a new thread rather than simply interacting in the other one? I thought the discussion was civil.

Universalism" as currently conceived seems to be the view that everyone will automatically end up in heaven ---- no relation to their life or manner of living. The Universalist-Unitarian Church is probably the most liberal church in Christendom. It is filled with atheists and other humanists. Although I believe in the POSSIBILITY of the reconciliation of all things to God as stated in the New Testament, I try to avoid the appellation "universalist". Those who will be in Gehenna, the Lake of Fire, will have to repent and submit to the authority of Christ in order to be acceptable to God ---- just like the rest of us. Some Scriptures Concerning the Reconciliation of All Things to God:

Colossians 1:19,20 For in him all the fulness of God was pleased to dwell, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.

Ephesians 1:9,10 For he has made known to us in all wisdom and insight the secret of his will, according to his purpose which he set forth in Christ as a plan for the fulness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.

Romans 5:18 Then as one man’s trespass [Adam’s] led to condemnation for all people, so one man’s act of righteousness [Christ’s] leads to acquittal and life for all people.

Philippians 2:9-11 Therefore God has highly exalted him [Christ] and bestowed on him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

I Timothy 4:10 For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of those who believe.

Revelation 5:12-13 And I heard every created being in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, and all therein, saying, "To him who sits upon the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor and glory and might into the ages of ages.

Romans 11:32 For God has consigned all people to disobedience, that he may have mercy upon all.

Philippians 3:20,21 But our commonwealth is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will change our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power which enables him even to subject all things to himself.

1 Corinthians 15:22-28 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive. But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, then at his coming those who belong to Christ. Then comes the end, when he delivers the kingdom to God the Father after destroying every rule and every authority and power. For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. The last enemy to be destroyed is death. "For God has put all things in subjection under his feet." But when it says, "All things are put in subjection under him," it is plain that he is excepted who put all things under him. When all things are subjected to him, then the Son himself will also be subjected to him who put all things under him, that God may be everything to every one.

2014/3/2 19:57Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
TMK....Why would you start a new thread rather than simply interacting in the other one?

Can't say why here, I have not followed that thread. Most forums I follow, folks do it so they can be heard louder, if they think they are not getting the response/attention they want. Again can't say why here, I have not followed it, I tend to stay away from the long drawn out ones, as they start out great, but start heading south after 50 or so replies. It's hard to have folks that can disagree with each other posts for very long, until it starts to get ugly. :)

2014/3/2 20:04Profile
noone

United States

Re:

I have to say that I put very little stock in the Historic church. What the Historic church taught me was: tithe to a pastor, raptured out of any persecution, the pastor rules, follow what you are told, don't rock the boat, say a little prayer when you are 8 and you will go to heaven, everything revolves around a building, be a good church member, baptism in the holy spirit and gifts are evil, demons are not real or are of no threat, if you don't tithe you are cursed with a curse.....and so on....

I am currently studying this for myself, which I will read opinions on both sides and spend much time letting the Holy Spirit teach me all things.

2014/3/2 20:13Profile

Re: Scripturess support the teaching of an eternal hell

I have not followed the other thread.

This two verses have two different greek words Aionian G166 (age-enduring) and Aidios G126 (everlasting).

"These will go away into eternal(Aionian G166) punishment, but the righteous into eternal(Aionian G166) life."
(Matthew 25:46 NASB+)

And angels who did not keep their own domain, but abandoned their proper abode, He has kept in eternal(Aidios G126) bonds under darkness for the judgment of the great day,
(Jude 1:6 NASB+)

So mans' judgement may be different from the angles' who sinned.

2014/3/2 20:59
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Noone wrote:

"I am currently studying this for myself, which I will read opinions on both sides and spend much time letting the Holy Spirit teach me all things"

That is awesome. I would think everyone would want to do that. I for one am overjoyed that the Bible might not actually support that hell is a place of conscious torment forever and ever. What I don't understand are those who seem to hope that it does!

In the first few hundred years of the new church the idea of universal reconciliation of all things was a prevailing if not a majority view. It was not until after Augustine that the idea of hell as a place of eternal torment gained ground. Quite frankly I don't trust the motives of the medieval Catholic Church.

2014/3/3 8:14Profile

Re: TMK

It is not that that those who hold to an eternal hell hope that it is a place a conscious torment. The issue is holding to Biblical truth. The issue is believing the words of Jesus when he said that those who reject Him will have the wrath of God abiting on them. Those who reject Christ will suffer eternal torment.

Those who hold your position of universal reconciliation only see God in mercy and love. You reject the concept that God is a God of.wrath. That God is angry with sin and and will punish the evil doer.

Consider when the 6th seal is broken in Revelation. The cry of the unregenerate is hide from Him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb. For the great day of their wrath has come who is able to stand.

In Rev. 6:12-17 the onregenerate cry to the mountains and the rocks to fall on them and hide them from the wrath of God.

These verses speak of God`s wrath  that will judge the non believer. Particularly those who have persecuted the saints of God.

The rocks and mountains will not hide one from the wrath of God. The only place to be hidden from God's wrath is found in the cleft of the Rock. And that rock is Jesus Christ.

Blaine Scogin

2014/3/3 10:37

Re:

I cannot say I have ever met a born-again child of God who hopes the condemned suffer eternal torment. Final judgment is God's business and I can't say for sure that I know exactly what will happen to the condemned for eternity, but I do know that this verse is speaking of only the saved and that there will be no more pain for them.

Rev 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Universalism (all shall be saved) is clearly an affront to Christ, His death and the cross that He is asking all of us to bear.

2014/3/3 10:52

Re: There are no second chances in hell

For those who believe that one has a second chance of repentance while in hell need to consider Luke 16:19-31. Here Jesus gives a sobering account of the rich man who is in the the torment of.hell. While in agony the rich man begs Abraham to send Lazarus with cool water to relieve his torment. Abraham answers there is a great barrier that no one can cross from hell to heaven or heaven to hell. Thus.implying that one cannot change their eternal destiny. Even if they choose to repent in the flames of an eternal torment of hell. This account by Jesus should lay to rest the idea that one has a second chance in hell.

The other sobering truth in this account is God is giving sinners the opportunity now to escape the eternal torment of hell. In the account the rich man pleads with Abraham to send Lazarus to warn his brothers that they will not come to the torment of hell. But Lazarus says they have Mises and the prophets. They should be warned by them. But the rich man cries that Lazerus be set from the dead to warn this rich man's brothers. But the response of Abraham is if they do not listen to Moses and the prophets they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.

Today we have access to Bibles and gospel tracts and gospel preaching that point to us to Jesus Christ and his shed blood on the cross to save us from hell. But Satan is deceiving people into believing that there is no hell. Or deceiving people into thinking there will be a second chance out of hell.

The scriptures tell us now is the day of salvation. Now is the time of God's favor. Let us not fall into this lie into thinking that hell is not an eternal place of torment. Let us be about the task of evangelizing they lost so that they will not go into an eternity without Jesus Christ. And suffer eternal torment and the flames of an everlasting hell.

Blaine Scogin

2014/3/3 11:05
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
just-in.....I cannot say I have ever met a born-again child of God who hopes the condemned suffer eternal torment.

+1

2014/3/3 11:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy