SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Churches Cancel, Move Services for Super Bowl Sunday

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

I know we are probably getting slightly off topic here, but you mention Dr. Stanley and his relationship with his son as a result of the divorce. In my profession as a funeral director I can give countless stories of young men and young women whose parents reaped the ultimate crop of losing them to drug addiction, suicide, gang violence because of father/mother estrangement. The secular media will downplay it, but you ask any experienced mortician about the relational harmony of the young person's parents (unless it was a traffic accident or accidental drowning), and they'll tell you they are divorced, or estranged, or have other lovers, or the father abandoned the child, etc. We in the death industry know the overwhelming statistics.

2014/2/5 13:47Profile

Re:

When our vertical oneness with God the Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit is usurped and replaced by men or by a system, we have no more oneness than the United States Senate.

Each son must maintain a vertical oneness with the Lord. To maintain this oneness with the Lord, deep intimacy is not excluded.

With all Christians, the most important thing is to link up with Christ, our Head. If our source is other than Christ and our ministry issues out from anything or anyone else but Christ then we are in the firm clasp of the Enemy. All of our work for the Lord, our reputation for being above reproach and abstaining from every appearance of evil, our toil, fruits and ministries will all be rubbish.

Be careful how you maintain your vertical relationship with the Lord. It is what gives you fruit in your horizontal relationships with men and gives the Holy Spirit the opportunity to speak to men. Horizontal relationships are only impacted as we hold fast to our vertical relationship and the headship of Christ.

Knowing that the vertical relationship with Christ is Priority #1, we can observe and discern what is right and what is wrong (to some degree) regarding horizontal relationships, today.

Men toward other men, or women, Women toward other women or men. Not only individually but can we observe relationships, but corporately. What is our observation of the Church towards the world? And the world, towards the Church?

Jesus Christ is leading "many sons to glory" and wants to lead many more. Stopping at salvation is a superficial gospel, whereas God is interested in making sons. Are you burdened to be a son or have you lost your vision of sonship? Are we burdened for the house of God?

I will say this, that most of us recognize the condition of the Church in the world, and see the world in the Church. Let's just not be enchanted or hypnotized by the world. In all of our readings on church history we see men that acquired a bit of experience at the cross. It brought brokenness into their lives. They received some spirituality and had a taste of the fullness of Christ along with some maturity. They tasted of His eternal purpose but then became proud and began to look down upon those who did not seem to have this "sonship". This happened to many groups through the centuries, but when pride came in, their testimony was ruined.

We have to be careful to stay white hot for God and be zealous for His house without despising others.

I don't despise anyone and am constantly learning how to not only stir myself up in my most holy faith, but encourage others to lay hold of Christ and not be enchanted by the world.

2014/2/5 13:48
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

This thread suddenly became redeemable. How about that :-)

2014/2/5 13:57Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

The thread became redeemable because the topic has changed focus.

Paul & Jimmy, I am with you what you have both written in the last few post about wife and family and I would suspect many others are also. However the discussion was never about this, it was about a ball game....not the same thing as far as I can see.

you have succesfully changed the subject onto something different. Well done and I wish you well continuing. (How about changing the OP title though?)

2014/2/5 14:06Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
The thread became redeemable because the topic has changed focus.

Evolved might be more accurate ;)

2014/2/5 14:12Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

For me, the issue of the churches adjusting their scheduled service times for the Super Bowl, at least in my eyes, was not centered around any sort perceived wordliness that others were picking up on. Rather, it was centered around "family time," and realizing that such events as the Super Bowl or other holidays provide the opportunity to do things like bond as a family. Such in my eyes, is a very important thing to the life of the church, and is a thing the church would do well to capitalize on whenever possible. Fathers Day and Mothers Day are other noteworthy holidays where I think this is appropriate.

Of course, if you believe a family watching the Super Bowl to be no different than a family gathered around a pagan shrine and offering sacrifices to Molech, then I guess the conversation could evolve into something else. Perhaps it is wrong to watch the Super Bowl in and of itself.

I tend to think not. You might want to change channels for the half-time show though.

2014/2/5 14:25Profile

Re:

It all depends on the heart. To many it is an idol.

How is the Church of Jesus Christ in America, corporately presenting itself to the world? Well, it all depends on how they are presenting themselvrs to Christ.

Do they see Christ or people like them that just belong to their own club?

I think many see division, strife, worldliness (its a good thing to them), but not often are they seeing His Body, Christ Himself.

Something to ponder.

if we are more demonstrative in losing any one thing more than Christ, what does that communicate?

Look at the political church today and what they are most vocal about.

II Chron 7:14

2014/2/5 14:47
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Quote.Evolved might be more accurate ;)

That's the problem with evolutionists, you just can't trust them to keep on topic! :)

2014/2/5 14:48Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
That's the problem with evolutionists, you just can't trust them to keep on topic! :)[

Nice one!

2014/2/5 15:03Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

It's really only an issue because some churches choose to have a Sunday night service, either for convenience of some of the congregation who want to sleep in on Sunday and read the paper or take their kids to soccer games(not that there's anything wrong with that), or because the church is too large to have just one service.

It would be a different matter if the church was canceling THE ONLY service on Sunday for an event like the Super Bowl.

So maybe the deeper question is whether a church should have multiple services on Sunday in order to convenience the congregation.

If churches wanted to be really mean they could schedule one service at 1 pm on Sunday. Then we would see who the true blue congregants are.

This whole topic is just silly, in my opinion of course.

2014/2/5 19:13Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy