SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : GLAAD Calls on A&E to End 'Duck Dynasty' After Phil Robertson Calls Homosexuality a Sin

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
proudpapa

GLAAD Calls on A&E to End 'Duck Dynasty' After Phil Robertson Calls Homosexuality a Sin

By Katherine Weber, Christian Post Reporter

December 18, 2013|12:33 pm

Phil Robertson, one of the stars of the hit A&E show "Duck Dynasty," is making waves after an interview with GQ Magazine in which he called on America to repent for its sins, and also discussed his Christian view regarding homosexuality. Since the interview was published online, the gay activist group GLAAD has called on A&E to end its relationship with "Duck Dynasty" due to Phil's "vile, extreme" remarks.

While speaking with GQ reporter Drew Magary on the extensive Robertson property in West Monroe, La., the patriarch of the Robertson clan provided a very candid and descript account of what he and the Robertson family, as evangelical Christians, are all about.

"We're Bible-thumpers who just happened to end up on television," Robertson says in the interview. "You put in your article that the Robertson family really believes strongly that if the human race loved each other and they loved God, we would just be better off. We ought to just be repentant, turn to God, and let's get on with it, and everything will turn around."

Robertson went on to say that in the current state of America, "Everything is blurred on what's right and what's wrong. Sin becomes fine."

"Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men." Robertson then went on to paraphrase a verse from Corinthians: "Don't be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers – they won't inherit the kingdom of God. Don't deceive yourself. It's not right."

Robertson went on to clarify that as a Christian he doesn't judge anyone on whether they'll end up in heaven or hell. He recounted dark days of his own in the 1970s when he drank excessively and at one point had to flee the state of Arkansas after he beat up a bar owner and his wife. "We never, ever judge someone on who's going to heaven, hell. That's the Almighty's job. We just love 'em, give 'em the good news about Jesus – whether they're homosexuals, drunks, terrorists. We let God sort 'em out later, you see what I'm saying?"

Although Robertson's comments are in line with what many evangelicals consider biblical teaching regarding homosexuality, some members of the pro-gay community have chastised the reality television show star and duck call maker for his recent interview.

GLAAD representative Wilson Cruz said in a statement that Phil's comments should cause the A&E network to reexamine its ties to the "Duck Dynasty" show, which has been a huge ratings powerhouse for the network in 2013. The wholesome reality show follows the Robertson family's Duck Commander duck call business in Louisiana, and each episode is sprinkled with comedic hijinks and the family's evangelical values.

"Phil and his family claim to be Christian, but Phil's lies about an entire community fly in the face of what true Christians believe. He clearly knows nothing about gay people or the majority of Louisianans – and Americans – who support legal recognition for loving and committed gay and lesbian couples. Phil's decision to push vile and extreme stereotypes is a stain on A&E and his sponsors who now need to reexamine their ties to someone with such public disdain for LGBT people and families."

The network sent a statement to FOX411 on behalf of Robertson clarifying his comments. "I myself am a product of the 60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior. My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together. However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other."

A&E's "Duck Dynasty" has broken multiple records since it began its first season in March 2012. The show became the most watched nonfiction cable telecast in history when its fourth season premiere raked in 11.8 million viewers, and it recently garnered a whopping 9 million viewers for its Christmas special.

The January issue of GQ Magazine featuring Phil Robertson's interview will hit newsstands on Dec. 24.

http://global.christianpost.com/news/glaad-calls-on-ae-to-end-duck-dynasty-after-phil-robertson-calls-homosexuality-a-sin-111073/

2013/12/18 22:09Profile
dohzman

Re: GLAAD Calls on A&E to End 'Duck Dynasty' After Phil Robertson Calls Hom

From what little I have either seen in interviews or read these guys are the real deal, so no doubt that the world would come after them for their stand on Christ. I doubt that much will come of it though, the world system still likes the ole' dollar bills and as long as they are a marketing commodity they will have sponsors. The only real danger comes when one back pedals while trying to justify their position. We see that often in politicians, compromise. I suppose compromise has a place in society, just not in Christianity. Maybe the Christian community should boycott those who are in support of the anti-duck movement? However I have observed that the Christian Community is pretty slow to come to the defense of its own.

Greater love lays down its life for the brethren.

2013/12/19 9:44Profile

Re: GLAAD Calls on A&E to End 'Duck Dynasty' After Phil Robertson Calls Hom

glad to see him standing firm. if duck dynasty loses profit, i hope they keep proclaiming Him who has the power to make them prosper or not. please God let them keep acknowledging you are worth more than a dynasty.

edit: ...and who is their source of life

2013/12/19 10:38
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Phil Robertson...love overcomes fear of man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pn7nWefn_Ms

2013/12/20 6:50Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Phil was in the show because he was outspoken... A&E is confused and exposing their bigoted Christianphobia.

2013/12/20 9:58Profile

Re:

Homosexuals/Sodomites cannot stand criticism. They don't engage in conversation, their strategy is just to silence the opposition/critics.

2013/12/20 10:25
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Phil preachin the Gospel...Louisiana style
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyL1xha_1aU&feature=player_embedded

2013/12/21 18:06Profile
Solomon101

America's Flyover Country

Re:

this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed. (John 3:19-20 ESV)

2013/12/21 19:08Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Rom 1:26
For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature.

Rom 1:27
Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.

Rom 1:28
And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting;

Rom 1:29
being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality,fn wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers,

Rom 1:30
backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

This is all true and sure. Those who practice unnatural sex are seven times more likely to be drug addicts, six times more likely to commit suicide, three times more likely to be alcoholics.
Those who practice unnatural sexual acts murder themselves and those they tempt. God loves His creation, and warns them so they would not choose to do such vile things.

2013/12/22 14:12Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re:

The Pharisees asked Jesus a question, "By what authority do You do these things?"

Jesus anwered that He would be happy to answer, but first He had a question for them.

"The baptism of John (the baptist), was it from God or from men?"

They found themselves instantly backed into a blind alley and were unable to answer the question. If they said that John's anointing was simply from men, they would lose all credibility with the people who regarded John as a prophet from God. But if they acknowledged that, then the question was why did they not listen to the man and obey his challenge to repent.

They declined to answer, and Jesus declined their question as well.

So, GLAAD, why do you rage against those who open the words of Scripture to you and call your practices sin? If you do not believe the Bible, don't acknowledge that God has the authority to condemn your ways, why are you so stirred to anger over such nonsense from a man with no credibility?

Or does your anger actually declare that you are indeed guilty before a Holy God, condemned for doing what He has commanded not be done, and thereby certifying the truth from this unlikely modern day prophetic witness against you?

"Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing?" writes the psalmist. (2)

Because deep inside there is a conviction from the Spirit of a Holy God calling all men to repent, and a witness that will keep any from surprise when they come to that final judgement.

Go, Duck man!

2013/12/23 10:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy