SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Why do we sin?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

I would say that is a huge generalization. I know several people that were not raised in a "good moral" home that are now saved. But I understand your idea.. its probably coming from
Pro 22:6? Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
And Yes, your parents do play a big part.

Looks like this is on the lines of the old Calvinist/Armenian debate.

2005/3/29 17:23Profile
iHilam

Florida

Re:

Quote:
The door to heaven is labelled "free choice" as you enter but looking back once inside it reads "Chosen before the foundation of the earth"

Even the angels have "free will". At least Lucifer and 1/3 of them did.

2005/3/29 18:26Profile
Angyl

Re:

Quote:
I know several people that were not raised in a "good moral" home that are now saved.

But I didn't say anyting about moral or immoral. I simply said it's a matter of what children are taught to put their trust in. Themselves, or feeling able to trust something other than themselves, this would include people, ideas, or a higher being.

I acknowledge that someone could be raised in the most hideous, ammoral, unChristian home in the world and still be prepped to have faith in something greater than themselves later. Likewise, a child could be raised in a home that is wholly Christian and given over to the Lord, but if they aren't taught from a very young age to accept the notion that they can lean on arms greater than their own or to be able to have faith in things they can not see, they may never come to know the Lord.

2005/3/30 11:56Profile
dann

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Re:

Quote:

iHilam wrote:
Even the angels have "free will". At least Lucifer and 1/3 of them did.

Calvinists believe in free will, with as much ferocity and zeal as Arminians do. It is always amusing (but sad too) to me to see representatives from both camps try and argue the other camp into understanding free will, when both readily admit that everyone has it.

The only difference being that Calvinists demand that God be sovereign even in the freedom of the will.

Dan
/\/
\/\

2005/3/30 12:54Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
The only difference being that Calvinists demand that God be sovereign even in the freedom of the will.

I may be wrong but I think it was RC Sproul who said, "God has free will. I have free will. When my free will runs into Gods', He wins."

I have come to believe that my will is never as free as when it has the will of the Holy Spirit behind it.

MC

2005/3/30 14:44Profile

Re:

When ever I think about the Calvinist/Armenian debate... I get a headache.

Krispy

2005/3/30 14:48
DezCall

The Netherlands

Re:

Quote:
I know several people that were not raised in a "good moral" home that are now saved.

You know, when I was sharing the Gospel with colleagues last saterday, one person came with this statement: "I believe that you have to be raised with this, to become like you. Others won't".

Praise the name of Jesus, that's not the truth! God can save any sinner...whether he is raised with parents who know Christ or not.

However I agree with you Angyl that parents have a tremendous great responsibility towards their children, to show them and teach them Christ. Many have forgotten that today. They're sending them to Sunday-school, they're blaming the youth leaders...but they should be the one to raise their children with Jesus Christ.

I haven't followed all the posts going around here lately, I'm lacking a "little" bit of time right now...but about that Calvinistic/Armenian thinking guys...may I just be a little simplistic? Please forgive me, but..."I hope you will put up with a little of my foolishness" (2 Corinthians 11:1 from the one and only NIV-version :-))

[font=Georgia][size=medium]I'm neither a Calvinist nor an Armenian, I'm a [b]Christian[/b]!! [/size][/font] ;-)

Your brother,

Paul

2005/3/30 15:31Profile
dohzman

Re: why can't angels repent

Angels can't repent because there is no atonement available for them. Jesus' atonement for us was because he was born of the Virgin birth through Mary with the seed being that of a woman instead of the normal course of life where the seed comes from the father(adam). However Hebrews mentions that His blood went to cleanse even the things in heaven , but that reference is one I don't fully understand.

2005/3/30 16:30Profile
dohzman

Re: why do people sin

Basically because they are born into sin and its a very part of thier nature. They are dead to any kind of real love period. They can only express love out of a self motive. It is the task of the church and the administration of the Law of God through the preaching of God's Word that men are brought to a choice as to the yes or no to Jesus.

2005/3/30 16:42Profile

Re:

Quote:
However I agree with you Angyl that parents have a tremendous great responsibility towards their children, to show them and teach them Christ. Many have forgotten that today. They're sending them to Sunday-school, they're blaming the youth leaders...but they should be the one to raise their children with Jesus Christ.

Oh boy... if I only had a dime for everytime I've heard about parents whose kids are in trouble as teenagers blame the church! They say things like "We've had Jr. in this church for the last 15 years... and now he's a drug addict and his girlfriend is pregnant... the church failed us!"

My question would be... "Why were you not teaching them at home??"

This is a passage of scripture every single Christian parent should memorize... and live by:

[i][b]Deuteronomy 11:18[/b] Therefore shall ye lay up these my words in your heart and in your soul, and bind them for a sign upon your hand, that they may be as frontlets between your eyes. [b]19[/b] And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. [b]20[/b] And thou shalt write them upon the door posts of thine house, and upon thy gates: [b]21[/b] That your days may be multiplied, and the days of your children, in the land which the LORD sware unto your fathers to give them, as the days of heaven upon the earth.[/i]

Hmmm... now thats interesting! I didnt see anything in there about the church teaching the children. I see the full responsibility being laid to rest squarely on the shoulders of the parents. Particularly... [b]the father.[/b]

There will be a lot of Christian fathers standing before the Lord on that day... trying to explain why they ignored this, and many other scriptures.

I pray I'm not counted among them!

Lord, help me.

Krispy

2005/3/30 16:46

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy