SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Discernment at Sermonindex?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
proudpapa

Re:

RE: ///I've observed in my own walk that if God notices you are beginning to idolize some preacher or theologian - no matter how gifted or anointed in the Word he happens to be - it's almost as if God will reveal a portion of his theology or some conviction of his that you will not agree with to break the spell.///

Amen, Amen that is my exact experience ! very true, very well said, very well understood !

2013/10/30 23:49Profile
a-servant

Re:

How about when you idolize some "ism", would you notice?

Let's examine the basic meaning of a word, and how people relate to it:

what does for example the word 'charismatic' mean, according to merriam-webster it means:

"having an often mysterious or magical power to attract <the cult's charismatic leader had managed to persuade seemingly rational people to obey him blindly>

Synonyms: alluring, appealing, attractive, bewitching, captivating, charismatic, charming, elfin, enchanting, engaging, entrancing, fetching, glamorous (also glamourous), luring, magnetic, seductiv

Interesting example and synonyms. To understand why they chose that word with so many synonym-undertones to be the main identifier of a religious experience and tradition you would need to examine its source and historic roots. But see how it fits: Say something about charismatism, and the first thing charismatics want to know is what their charismatic leaders have to say about that. Instead what the Word of God says about it.

2013/10/31 0:27Profile
amranger

Montana

Re:

A-servant, why would you go to a secular source to define the word?

Here is the definition from the New Testament Greek Lexicon.
The Strongs number is 5486.

Charisma:

a favour with which one receives without any merit of his own
the gift of divine grace
the gift of faith, knowledge, holiness, virtue
the economy of divine grace, by which the pardon of sin and eternal salvation is appointed to sinners in consideration of the merits of Christ laid hold of by faith
grace or gifts denoting extraordinary powers, distinguishing certain Christians and enabling them to serve the church of Christ, the reception of which is due to the power of divine grace operating on their souls by the Holy Spirit.

So we can see from this that to be Charismatic is to receive and have our lives typified by these characteristics. Every christian should want to be known as charismatic!

2013/10/31 0:38Profile

Re:

I have myself wondered why there are authors from such strongly opposing camps and consider it leads to confusion for young believers, but everywhere I see, in charismatic writings the same lack of discernment between holiness writings and charismatic/Pentecostal ones, when in past century disputes, it was very clear where the differences lay. Holiness teaching shows that the so called baptism of the Spirit in charismatic circles is not the same thing at all as it is not said to bring holy lives as its primary function. It is a fundamental difference.

2013/10/31 3:09
a-servant

Re:

Quote: "A-servant, why would you go to a secular source to define the word?"

A gift is a gift, and not a theology. The implied and added meanings as used by Charismatics are not the Bible's definitions, they are Strong's definitions (and others like him)

It's ok to not trust the english language to determine a word family, but why on earth would you not choose an inspired Bible and instead look for light in conflicting and uninspired Greek & Hebrew tools, made by men who denied its very truths?

Was James Strong a strong and reliable Christian? I would ask was Strong a Christian at all.

--- The Weakness of Strong's ----
http://server1.sureynot.com/uploads/audio/fNaXflaBm4oxrzufePZj.mp3

Good sermon for everyone that is interested in Bible manuscripts, translations, Bible critics and the integrity of God, without we would have no faith, no hope and no discernment.

2013/10/31 6:33Profile

Re:

I am surmising, Krautfrau, that Sermonindex does not want to publish sermons only from one camp. Their readers are from many, many camps and they want to serve as a general repository for many of these camps.

There are individual websites that exposit the views of a single camp.

My beliefs for instance are found in more than one camp. Think of SI as a library and not a church.

2013/10/31 7:49
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Q. Does SermonIndex have a certain denominational emphasis?
Answer. No. SermonIndex desires to be a expression of the apostolic church found in Scriptures (Book Of Acts). It is a inter-denominational ministry with 100's of different denominations and ministries involved. Revival, Holiness, Authenticity, and a genuine experience of Biblical Christianity is core the values of this ministry. We believe that the Church of Jesus Christ is larger than any one denomination or group, and that Christ has His love slaves in many different sections of the visible church in many different parts of the world. A general statement of faith can be read below.

Q. Is there a statement of faith for the website?
Answer. Being undenominational, we seek to minister to all who love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity (Eph. 6:24), and to love all who love Him (John 15:12; 1 John 4:20-21). By this shall all men know that ye are My disciples, if ye have love one to another (John 13:35). We hold to the Bible, both Old and New Testaments, as the inspired word of God. We believe in the New Birth, and that Salvation is a free gift of God through Jesus Christ to all who will repent, and believe the Gospel (Mark 1:15; John 3:16). We believe in the virgin birth of Jesus, the only begotten Son of God (Isa. 7:14; Matt. 1:18-25; Luke 1:26-35; Luke 2:1-7; John 1:14; John 3:16; Acts 13:16-41; 1 John 4:1-15). We believe in the deity of God the Father, the deity of Jesus, the Son of God, and the deity of the Holy Spirit. We believe that, while we were yet sinners, Jesus Christ shed His precious Blood on the cross, and died, that we might have life, and have it more abundantly (Rom. 5:8; John 10:10). We believe that Jesus rose again from the dead (1 Thess. 4:14; Luke 24:1-8; Acts 10:34-41; Luke 24:33-46). We believe that Jesus, some days after His resurrection from the dead, ascended to God in heaven (Acts1:1-10; Eph. 1:15-23). We believe in the personal return of Jesus with power and great glory (Luke 21:27), and that His return is an event for saved people to look forward to with great expectation and with constant watchfulness and prayer (Luke 21:34-36; 1 John 3:2-3). We believe that this same Jesus, which was taken up from the apostles into heaven, shall so come in like manner as they saw Him go into heaven (Acts 1:1-11). We believe it is the privilege and duty of every Christian--to be filled with the Holy Spirit, and to live a holy life, and to be always ready for the return of Jesus, and that, in the meantime, each Christian should Occupy (keep busy in His will, and in His service) till the Lord's return (John 7:37-39; Acts 1:8; Eph. 5:18; Matt. 24:44; Luke 19:13; Titus 2:11-15; 1 Peter 1:13-19).

2013/10/31 7:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy