SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : TNIV - Your Thoughts??

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

You didnt respond to the scriptures I brought up from Colossians.

2005/3/23 17:18

Re:

Also...This discussion was started simply by asking about the TNIV which I do not endorse.

For more info you can check out http://www.no-tniv.com/

2005/3/23 17:54
Angyl

Re:

Quote:
You didnt respond to the scriptures I brought up from Colossians.

I'll take a stab at that. It's all about [b][i]context[/b][/i] of course. Those in history most guilty of abusing scripture always do so because they lift a single verse or two out of CONTEXT to make it suit their argument. The verse before the one you mentioned reads:

[i]"8Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

9For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.[/i]"

As there is only a [u]SINGLE[/u] proper noun that comes before the sentence in question, it is quite easy to see they are talking about Christ.

2005/3/23 18:56Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

I do not like the TNIV

2005/3/23 19:36Profile
Smokey

Edmonton Alberta Cda.

Re: TNIV - Your Thoughts??

EVERY TIME someone comes our with a "new updated translation", they say that it is to "make it easier to understand". What is wrong with taking the time to ask the Holy Spirit to help us in understanding that original classic the KJV??? All the great preachers of the past managed quite well with the KJV, and the guidence of the Holy Spirit.
Greg

2005/3/23 20:45Profile
Matt25

Athens Ga

Re:

Quote:
Also I have seen the whole interview by Leonard Ravenhill. I believe his opinion was KJV was the best. However his point was that we can't make an idol out of the bible and use it to hit people over the head with it.

pij could you qoute me the statement made by Ravenhill anywhere in that interview (or in any of his sermons for that matter) where he implies "we can't make an idol out of the bible and use it to hit people over the head with it"???? That wasn't the point of his statement regarding the superiority of the KJV among the available english translations...

2005/3/23 20:53Profile
Matt25

Athens Ga

Re:

Quote:

"For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form" ( Colossians 2:9 NIV).

"For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily" (Colossians 2:9 KJV).

I could just as easily say the KJV leaves room for confusion by saying him instead of Christ

Read Collossians 2:8. There is no ambiguity as to who "in him" refers to.

Now read John 6:43-51. This is Jesus speaking about himself. When you get to verse 47, why is "on me" removed from the NIV? Removing "on me" leaves it very ambiguous as to who or what exactly we are supposed to believe. Jesus is commanding you to believe on him specifically. Removing "on me" leaves all kinds of room for a different interpretation.

Back to Colossians and the NIV.
Col 1:2 Removes "and the Lord Jesus Christ"
Col 1:14 Removes "through his blood"
Col 1:28 Removes "Jesus"
Col 3:6 Removes "on the children of
disobedience"

2005/3/23 21:31Profile

Re:

Mind you brother, I love the KJV. I prefer it over the others.

But I want to point out something, there is a difference between a Version and a Translation.

The KJV was really a group of other versions that were floating around in that day and formed into one.

It is mostly made up of William Tyndales work, and rightly so, he paid for it with is life several years before.

In the true original KJV the Apocrypha was included but it was taken out later on, which was a shame I think.

The book of Enoch was totally rejected but should be read by all christians because if Jude used a verse from it why can't we? I've read some of it, and it's really no different then the writings of Ezkeil.

There are other versions out there, but what one needs to look for is a Translation.

Now remember the KJV is not all we think it is, it has many errors in it. And all those italics makes some of the word of no effect and also adds a great deal, even though we are told it helps to build the sentence structure of the english, yet I have found italics questionable and ask myself, "Why did the translator add this for it ruins the whole message".

But then again, who am I.

Karl

2005/3/23 22:25

Re:

The NIV is worldly friendly. It fits into everyone's way of thinking, whereas the old KJV is dangerous to the New World Order.

2005/3/23 22:29

Re:

Hello again! I just wanted to say that I'm dropping out of this particular discussion. It was originally started with the focus being on the TNIV, which I do not endorse, and strayed over into all kinds of different attacks on other versions. I think this is one thing I am going to disagree with some people on and that's ok. God knows my heart! :-) Blessings!

2005/3/23 23:53

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy