SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How Does One Overcome Sin?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

How Does One Overcome Sin?

There is another thread going hot and heavy debating over whether one has a sin nature. I won't touch that one. But I know I struggle with sin as I am sure we all do in this forum.

So how does one overcome sin? Particularly those sins that trouble us. What the old writers would call besetting sins.

Can one walk through this world with devils filled with sin. And be victorious. Please no theology or debate. You want that. Then please go to the other tbread.

Are there practical ways a believer can walk in victory over sin. So I ask what are your thoughts?

Bearmaster.

2013/5/1 13:11
makrothumia

Texas

Re: How Does One Overcone Sin?

Great question bearmaster,

Jesus became "strong in spirit." We need to grow in the same way, by making no provision for the flesh, and giving all diligence to add to our faith - virtue, knowledge, perserverence, godliness etc.

Growing stronger in spirit will steady our walk in the Spirit, allowing us to "keep in step." Those who learn to allow the Spirit to lead them, find the "way of escape" sooner and learn obedience as they suffer "resisting" temptation.

Our Lord suffered when He was tempted, and the suffering caused by temptation will work tribulation, which will work endurance, which will work proven character, which will produce hope - and once we begin to abound in hope by the power of the Spirit - our struggles become light and momentary.

Faith is another key element in overcoming. The Spirit speaks to us as we are being tempted, we need only to hear what the Spirit is saying, receive the word by faith, and we will be strengthened in the inner man to deny the lust and obey the Spirit.

The stronger we grown in spirit, the weaker the influence of the flesh becomes. Through the Spirit, we put to death the practices of the body, and become a new creation - as we are being transformed from a carnal orientation to a spiritual one. A new mind, a new heart, strengthened by Christ dwelling in our inner man - His grace reigning in righteounsess. Flesh dethroned - CHRIST power at work in us to will and to do His good pleasure.

makrothumia

2013/5/1 13:43Profile

Re:

Macnrothumia good post with some good thoughts. What are some practicsl ways one can grow in the spirit? How do we make the spirit stronger?

Bearmaster.

2013/5/1 13:57
MaryJane

Are there practical ways a believer can walk in victory over sin. So I ask what are your thoughts?

Bearmaster.

I thought perhaps you might be asking for personal examples in ones walk with the LORD. The LORD has helped me to overcome much sin in my life. At one time not so long ago I struggled with eating disorder. I would starve myself for a time and then binge eat and make myself sick. This back and forth out of control sinful behavior went on until the LORD set me free from it. I remember very clearly HIM showing me how sinful what I was doing was and then giving me all that I need to cling to HIM and no longer walk in such sin. For me when I am struggling with the fear of sin(which still at times raises its head) I stop everything else I am doing and pray. I pray and keep praying until the fear has passed. Taking captive thoughts and bringing them to the LORD has also been a way the LORD has helped me. I find the more time I spend in the BIBLE, in praying, and sitting at HIS feet the stronger in HIM I grow. I often pray for my faith to grow and for a renewed vision of the cross. Seeing the reality of love, mercy, grace, and sacrifice poured out for me on the cross by JESUS is such a perfect reminder that I do not want to injury the LORD with my sin and I pray that HE would keep me. I think for me the most effective tool in overcoming sin is just holding tight, staying close to the LORD. HE is the answer :)

Thanks for asking. I look forward to others replies as well. Great topic.

God bless
maryjane

2013/5/1 14:07Profile
makrothumia

Texas

Re:

One of the ways to grow strong in the spirit is to devote ourselves to prayer individually and corporately with other saints. This builds the realtionship with our heavenly Father as we fellowship with Him in spirit and with our brothers and sisters in Christ as we enjoy spiritual fellowship with them.

The words of Jesus are "spirit and life." If we practice "abiding in Christ" and "His words abiding in us" - we will receive the spiritual life of Christ imparted to us from our abiding in Him and His word in us.

Another way to grow in spirit - is to "quiet our soul". Our "souls" are too loud. They demand to much external stimulation. It is easier to listen to audion messages, inspiriing music, and stimulating fellowship in meetings, than to "be still and know that I am God."

Jesus withdrew to the lonely places - because He wanted to commune with His Father. We need to do the same, if we would experience the same communion He had with the Father.

These are a few things we can pursue and practice.

makrothumia

2013/5/1 14:07Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Hi Bear,

I posted this about a month ago. Forgot which thread for now ( I will look, later). Practical admonitions, no theology.

Here are some "practical" things that the believer can do to stay free from daily defilement.

1. Eliminate the mixture. II Corinthians 6:14-18
2. Beware of Lawlessness Titus 2:14
3. Walk in the spirit of reconciliation Colossians 1:21, Hebrews 12:15
4. Daily consecrate your life on the altar. Romans 12:1
5. Draw your life from the Spirit, not the flesh. Galatians 5:16, I John 2:15,16
6. Subject every desire to one desire. 1 John 2:17
7. Abide in Christ John 15:1-12
8. Endure the discipline of the Father Hebrews 12:5-11
9. Beware of willful sin. Hebrews 10:26-31, 6:4-6

One last admonition:

2Co 7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Blessings,
Pilgrim

P.S. Here is the link: Overcoming Sin

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=48726&forum=34&6

2013/5/1 14:17Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: So how does one overcome sin? Particularly those sins that trouble us. What the old writers would call besetting sins.

By faith.. surrender to God fully and he will cleanse you..

God made a choice among you, that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe. And God, who knows the heart, bore witness to them, by giving them the Holy Spirit just as he did to us, and he made no distinction between us and them, having cleansed their hearts by faith. Acts 15:7-9

2013/5/1 16:00Profile

Thank you Bearmaster for posting this very IMPORTANT question, it is timely for me right now as I am struggling.

I hope others who are seasoned and mature will contribute to this post.

The words from Makrothumia and the sister are very encouraging. I spend a lot of time in the Word and listening to sermons, however recently I sensed the Lord speaking to me about the lack of a prayer life. After I began to be more diligent in my prayer life I began to receive more strength from the Lord as Alan spoke of in the example of Jesus, etc. Also, my wife saw the difference and gave testimony to it. I have fallen again in the area of a disciplined prayer life and the enemy is trying to gain ground, with the Lord's help I will overcome the evil one.

The word on just simply sitting at the feet of Jesus and being still before Him is very important for me.

These are all great reminders for me, thank you saints. With God's help I will practice them for the next few weeks and maybe if He leads I will report the fruit of these spiritual truths.

If I can humbly just add a little of my thoughts: I believe that it is not our faith that saves us but His. He saves us from sin and it is not from ourselves or our own power or might. I must die daily and put NO confidence in the flesh, it is no longer I who live, but Christ living in me. I must be broken. As Alan wrote we will then grow into maturity, walk steadfastly, and be immovable in Him. Lastly, we do NOTHING apart from Him and I think it is good and proper to confess our sins to one another in a respectful and godly manner, which is becoming of saints. "For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!”"

"If weak in prayer, we are weak everywhere." ~ Leonard Ravenhill

"A sinning man stops praying; a praying man stops sinning." ~ Leonard Ravenhill

Thanks again everyone! KM

2013/5/1 16:21
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Quote: How does one overcome sin?

By not sinning. It really isn't very complicated.

"Am I seeking to stop sinning or have I actually stopped? To be born of God means that I have His supernatural power to stop sinning. The Bible never asks, “Should a Christian sin?” The Bible emphatically states that a Christian must not sin. The work of the new birth is being effective in us when we do not commit sin. It is not merely that we have the power not to sin, but that we have actually stopped sinning. Yet 1 John 3:9 does not mean that we cannot sin— it simply means that if we will obey the life of God in us, that we do not have to sin." ~Oswald Chambers

I came across a CS Lewis quote this morning that also fits the bill: "“One of the most cowardly things ordinary people do is to shut their eyes to facts.”

Much of our sinning is because we refuse to face facts and make little justifications.

2013/5/1 17:01Profile

Re:

On sin in believers: Greg posted a good sermon by Wesley discussing this, please find link below:

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11940&forum=34&0

2013/5/1 18:02

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy