SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is Bibical love anyway??

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

What is Bibical love anyway??

Someone suggested, in a light hearted way, that I really dont like Benny Hinn. Thats not true at all... disagreeing with a false teachers doctrines and practices is not an issue of "not liking" someone, or being unloving. So let's look at what Biblical love really is.

Love is crucial. The Bible says that without love "I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal." The Bible tells us that God is love, and those who know God will reflect His love. And what is love? Most Christians are confused about love's definition. It must be defined biblically. "Love," to human thinking, is a warm emotion or a sensual romantic thought. "Love," to most Christians today, is broadmindedness and non-judgmental acceptance of anyone who claims to know the Lord Jesus Christ.

This is not what the Bible says about love. Consider the following Scriptures:

[i]"Jesus answered and said unto him, IF A MAN LOVE ME, HE WILL KEEP MY WORDS: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him" (John 14:23).[/i]

[i]"And this I pray, that your LOVE MAY ABOUND YET MORE AND MORE IN KNOWLEDGE AND IN ALL JUDGMENT; That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ" (Philippians 1:9-10).[/i]

[i]"For THIS IS THE LOVE OF GOD, THAT WE KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS: and his commandments are not grievous" (1 John 5:3).[/i]

[i]"And we have confidence in the Lord touching you, that ye both do and will do the things which we command you. And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ. Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us" (2 Thess. 3:4-6).[/i]

Biblical love is [b]obedience[/b] to God and His Word. In the last passage cited above we see the love of God sandwiched between verses that emphasize obedience to God's commandments, including separation from disobedient brethren! Love is not a feeling. It is not blissful romanticism. For a woman to love her husband means she submits to and serves him according to the Bible. For a man to love his wife means he treats her in the way the Bible commands. For children to love their parents means they honor and obey their parents as the Bible commands. Emotions come and go and are exceedingly undependable; but [b]love is obedience to God's Word.[/b]

Love is not an emotion. It is not broadmindedness. [b]It is not non-judgmentalism. It is not tolerance and non-critical acceptance.[/b] Biblical love is cautious and strict. It is based on knowledge and judgment from God's Word. It proves all things, and it approves [b]only those things that are the will of God.[/b]

Was the Lord Jesus Christ unloving when He called Peter a devil (Matt. 16:23) or when he publicly condemned the Pharisees (Matthew 23)? Was Paul unloving when he rebuked Peter publicly for his compromise (Galatians 1)? Or when he named the name of false teachers and compromisers such as Hymenaeus and Alexander ten different times in the Pastoral Epistles? Or when he forbade women to preach or to usurp authority over men (1 Timothy 2)?

Biblical love does [b]not[/b] mean that I ignore things people they do that are wrong and injurious. This is true both in the physical and spiritual realms. For example, to love a murderer, in a biblical sense, does not mean that we ignore his crime. It means that we punish him for his horrible trespass against society and the image of God (Genesis 9:5-6) but before he dies we preach the gospel to him so he can be saved from eternal judgment. Likewise, to love a false teacher does [b]not[/b] mean that I turn a blind eye to his error and strive to have unity with him regardless of his doctrine. [b]It means that I obey the Bible and mark and avoid him (Romans 16:17), that I warn of his error [u]publicly[/u] to protect those who might be led astray by his teaching.[/b]

Some professing Christians point their fingers at the Bible-believing conservatives and charge us with a lack of love toward men because we exercise judgment and discipline and separation. What, though, about love for God? Some professing Christians tell me that I need to love all the denominations regardless of what doctrine they teach. [b]I reply that I need to love God and His Truth first, and that means that I will obey the Bible, and that means I will measure, mark, and avoid those who are committed to error.[/b] A genuine love for God requires that I care more about His Word and His will than about men and their feelings and opinions and programs.

What say you?

Krispy

2005/3/11 7:28
relewis111

Pittsburgh,PA

Re: What is Bibical love anyway??

At the risk of being overly emotional or even seeking sympathy I would like to share my view of biblical love. I'm not sure if this has been in another thread but I will try and check out of respect for the writer. Whether or not I ask for my heart to become changed, Almighty God must do so in order for me to become new,born again.

My experience with this has come in praying for people I formerly hated, and I don't mean just a strong dislike but the kind of hate that would like to feel their last breath as it escapes from between my hands. I was abused as a child and praying for these people has opened my heart in a way I didn't know was possible. That is the kind of love that is important to me, in fact I can't live without it and I consider it biblical love because the Word of God promises me that rest and peace and I know for a fact that it is a miracle of the Holy Spirit to receive such love.

I try not to delude myself into believing that I have any right to point out someone else's actions but that usually doesn't stop me. I try instead to redeem my time and beg and I mean plead with God to change my heart, make me new because I will surely die if He doesn't. If I am so honored and blessed to gain any insight into the mysteries and truths of God's Holy Word I must strive to give them a clean place to reside, my heart. The more I pray, the more I realize that my life as a follower of Christ is quite impossible for me to live and that only Jesus Himself will birth within me my new, clean heart, that new wineskin I so desperately need. If I could have anything in this world it would be more love to give, biblical or otherwise, whether I think it's deserved or not; in fact I don't trust myself to make that decision so I ask Christ to teach me how to love, one breath at a time.

Rich

2005/3/11 9:00Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

In short, were all responsible to God for our "OWN" actions That is why I choose to keep inside most things I don't agree with, although you and I might have an abundance of will power to do this some don't, and once we say something about something or someone some folks will pick that up and are really clueless of the mission and get carried away and now "WE" are responsible for what we have place in their heart. I guess that is why Pro 18:21 Say's Death and life [are] in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof. If you feel in your own personal heart that you have some issues with Benny Hinn why not just pray for him? that offers the highest power of healing, as for as anyone's mission here or anywhere to expose him Wow! just look around it's all over the news and newspapers, so please don't take it personal that your mission is in vain because with Benny that would be impossible with all his exposure. And as I said before there are lots of Benny Hinn's out there why pick on him why not utilize your time exposing the one's that the rest of the world don't know about? I will say it again let God deal with Benny if He has to he can put him a full body cast to get his attention! I understand were your coming from but don't let it interfere with other things God may need you for.
God Bless You Brother :-)

2005/3/11 9:07Profile

Re:

Quote:
In short, were all responsible to God for our "OWN" actions That is why I choose to keep inside most things I don't agree with, although you and I might have an abundance of will power to do this some don't, and once we say something about something or someone some folks will pick that up and are really clueless of the mission and get carried away and now "WE" are responsible for what we have place in their heart. I guess that is why Pro 18:21 Say's Death and life [are] in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof. If you feel in your own personal heart that you have some issues with Benny Hinn why not just pray for him? that offers the highest power of healing, as for as anyone's mission here or anywhere to expose him Wow! just look around it's all over the news and newspapers, so please don't take it personal that your mission is in vain because with Benny that would be impossible with all his exposure. And as I said before there are lots of Benny Hinn's out there why pick on him why not utilize your time exposing the one's that the rest of the world don't know about? I will say it again let God deal with Benny if He has to he can put him a full body cast to get his attention! I understand were your coming from but don't let it interfere with other things God may need you for.

Please do not misunderstand the spirit of this post, MrBillPro, I'm not responding in any way other than to better understand your response, and why you feel the way you do. :-)

Perhaps you missed the end of my thread where I said [i]"It means that I obey the Bible and mark and avoid him (Romans 16:17), that I warn of his error publicly [b]to protect those who might be led astray by his teaching.[/b][/i]

I dont rail against Benny Hinn's teachings only... it just so happens that he is in the spotlight right now. And yes, he's had a lot of exposure lately... but Dateline NBC is only going to deal with the financial aspects of his "ministry". Dont look to Dateling NBC to expose his doctrinal errors... they wouldnt know doctrinal error if it hit them in the face.

Thanx to Dateline, a lot of Christians are asking "so just what is wrong with Benny Hinn?" ... I've gotten a number of private messages from people asking me that, and asking what WOF is all about. It needs to be made public.

Let me ask you this, MrBillPro, if the area you live in is stricken with flooding, and there is a road that is completely flooded and dangerous... would you tell anybody and warn folks not to drive down that road? Or would you "choose to keep inside" this information... and smile and wave as people drive to their watery deaths?

Do you "choose to keep inside" your views on abortion (assuming you're pro-life), or do you speak up?

Assuming your American, or live in a democratic society... do you vote, or do you "choose to keep inside" your feelings on the future of your country?

I personally choose to warn others and not have their blood on my hands because I chose to be silent.

Silence kills.

Krispy

2005/3/11 9:27
MarkDaniel

Midwest, USA

Quote:
What say you?

What an excellent post! Excellent study. Biblical truths and not just emotion. I was just about to research this very topic myself and the Lord had you do some of the work for me Krispy :)

I was a slave to this false touch-feely, do not judge, love of the sin of man gospel for over 10 years and only after receiving the Holy Spirit did my eyes open to the love of God as it is in the scriptures.

Love is not the love and tolerance of sin.

In John 8, Jesus said to the adulterous woman, even after He allowed her sin to be exposed publicly, told her to go and live a holy life instead..."I do not condemn you either. Go on your way and from now on sin no more."

Jesus exposed her sin, told her to repent, and live a holy life instead of sinning again, and He did not condemn her. Do we say our Lord Jesus Christ was unloving for such a politically incorrect demonstration of His love?

2005/3/11 9:39Profile

Re:

Quote:
Jesus exposed her sin, told her to repent, and live a holy life instead of sinning again, and He did not condemn her. Do we say our Lord Jesus Christ was unloving for such a politically incorrect demonstration of His love?

Be cautious... some will argue that the Pharisees exposed her sin, not Jesus. But the Pharisees' motivation was not to see this woman restored... and therein lies the difference. They had no intention of forgiving her. Jesus did. And so should we.

The Bible is pretty clear about how we are to address sin in the church... and the first step is "privately". Then if the person doesnt repent, it progresses step by step into the public (meaning congregation) forum.

I am not so concerned about pointing out sin in people's lives, altho some people have accused me of doing that on this site. On the contrary... I dont think I've ever commented on Benny Hinn's sin-life. I dont know the man, and I dont know what sins he may struggle with.

My concern has [b]always[/b] been the gross, heretical doctrines he teaches and the way he misleads millions of people world-wide... leading many to eternal death.

Krispy

2005/3/11 10:11
Angyl

Re:

Quote:
My concern has always been the gross, heretical doctrines he teaches and the way he misleads millions of people world-wide... leading many to eternal death.

Preach on, brother. I think your definition (or should I say defense) of Biblical love as opposed to the world's version of love is spot on. There is a fantastic error in allowing the world's view of love and 'tolerance' to impare our ability to lovingly correct the bretheren or sin when we see it.

[i]"If you love me, you'll accept me."[/i] Is the world's cry today. It is the cry of homosexuals, murderers, rapists, and other miscreants, but they misspeak. What they're really saying is "[i]If you love me, you'll accept my [u][b]sin[/b][/i][/u]"

Not a chance. There's nothing in the Bible, as you've so well pointed out, that suggests we need to accept another man's sin...yea, the Bible actually preaches the opposite, that we are to Judge (according to the word) sin and condemn it.

It is not meet for us to stand silently by and watch the masses march to Hell. When they get there, they will [b]NOT[/b] spend eternity thanking us for 'loving them' and accepting what they did without comment.

Make it your #1 goal in life, Christian...that [b][u]NO ONE[/b][/u] will have cause to look up from hell and ask you [i]"Why didn't you tell me?"[/i]

2005/3/11 12:11Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
I try not to delude myself into believing that I have any right to point out someone else's actions but that usually doesn't stop me. I try instead to redeem my time and beg and I mean plead with God to change my heart, make me new because I will surely die if He doesn't. If I am so honored and blessed to gain any insight into the mysteries and truths of God's Holy Word I must strive to give them a clean place to reside, my heart. The more I pray, the more I realize that my life as a follower of Christ is quite impossible for me to live and that only Jesus Himself will birth within me my new, clean heart, that new wineskin I so desperately need. If I could have anything in this world it would be more love to give, biblical or otherwise, whether I think it's deserved or not; in fact I don't trust myself to make that decision so I ask Christ to teach me how to love, one breath at a time.

Amen and Amen! Thank you Rich.

2005/3/11 12:46Profile
MarkDaniel

Midwest, USA

Re:

Quote:
Be cautious... some will argue that the Pharisees exposed her sin, not Jesus.

Caution heeded. I meant it to be written as Jesus allowed her sin to be exposed by the Pharisees. He did not object to the public display, but rather objected to them being the hypocrites they were.

2005/3/11 12:50Profile
MarkDaniel

Midwest, USA

Re:

Quote:
It is not meet for us to stand silently by and watch the masses march to Hell.

Amen.

2005/3/11 12:53Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy