SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Catholic, Protestant Churches Sign Historic Baptism Agreement

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Catholic, Protestant Churches Sign Historic Baptism Agreement

Leaders representing the Roman Catholic Church and some American Protestant denominations have signed an agreement in Texas to recognize each other's baptisms.

After about six years of dialogue, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, the Reformed Church in America, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), the Christian Reformed Church in North America, and the United Church of Christ signed a document recognizing each other's liturgical rites of baptism.

The five denominations signed the "Common Agreement on Mutual Recognition of Baptism," affirming the baptism agreement on Tuesday evening at a prayer service held at St. Mary's Cathedral in Austin. ...

read more: http://www.christianpost.com/news/catholic-protestant-churches-sign-historic-baptism-agreement-89172/

2013/1/31 9:21Profile
SkepticGuy

Re: Catholic, Protestant Churches Sign Historic Baptism Agreement

sad day of compromise.

2013/1/31 9:33Profile
proudpapa

Re: Catholic, Protestant Churches Sign Historic Baptism Agreement

This does not suprise me, the very reformers considered the catholics baptism as valid and condemed those whom did not consider it valid who rebaptized upon confession of faith.

2013/1/31 10:58Profile

Re:

Another sad day in the calender of compromise......... bro Frank

2013/1/31 11:00
SkepticGuy

Re:

the problem is that the catholic church view baptism much different than the opposing side which signed this document w/them. catholics see baptism as part of what saves u (human works based salvation). protestants see baptism as a outward action and sign that u have already been saved (justified by faith).

this event is a compromise of biblical truth borne out of ignorance of sound doctrine.

i watched a few months ago as a number of people were banished from this community 4 speaking against the catholic church. not sure why sermonindex posted this knowing the discussion that would ensue, but i have decided 2 speak no more on this. i am learning so much from people here, i do not wish to be baited and trapped in2 a discussion about this issue and then kicked out.

2013/1/31 11:01Profile
proudpapa

Re: SkepticGuy

Hi SkepticGuy

SkepticGuy wrote ///protestants see baptism as a outward action and sign that u have already been saved (justified by faith).///

actually this is more of a Babtist or Anabaptist position,
Infant Baptizers such as the reformers and Presbyterian view baptism differently they equate baptism more in line with a predestined covenant, they equate baptism with the old covenants circumcision.

An interesting History study is how infant baptizers have treated those whom taught believers baptism down through history.

2013/1/31 11:15Profile
SkepticGuy

Re:

thnx 4 clarifying. while this is so, they do not believe baptism bring about salvation. they believe the other way around. correct?

2013/1/31 11:21Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

skepticguy,

Very few people on here support the catholic church and their teachings. No one says that we can not discuss issues within the catholic church. We just have to follow the lead of the admins when they tell us to stop posting the same issue over and over and over again.

Catholisism is from the devil. My opinion. It baits people into a false sense of salvation, yet, there are things that we can learn from some catholic followers. To say that we cannot, would be an ignorant statement.

Be blessed.

2013/1/31 11:22Profile
SkepticGuy

Re:

Quote:
To say that we cannot, would be an ignorant statement.

true, and that is not a statement that i made or make. i find a contradiction in sum here who say we should not use commentaries or listen to other men's teaching, but let the holy spirit be ur teacher. then the same people say we can learn from the catholic church. this confuses me on several levels.

that was not aimed @ u. just a general observation i have noticed here.

2013/1/31 11:27Profile
proudpapa

Re: SkepticGuy

SkepticGuy wrote ///thnx 4 clarifying. while this is so, they do not believe baptism bring about salvation. they believe the other way around. correct?///

Well this gets a bit confusing because of their predestination theology, Reformed Protasants, Calvinist and the like trace their roots through the Catholic Church, They Declare the Catholic ST Augustine as one of their fathers of the true church, Augustine taught infant baptism for the removal of the original sin placed on all infants, hence Augustine taught regenerational baptism as does the catholic,(Augustine also taught that one can not be saved out side the catholic church) The great reformers Calvin,Luther,Zwingly all relied heavy on Augustine for interpataion of scripture. They all taught infant baptism and harshly condemed those whom rejected it, infact Zwingly had Felix Manz drowned over the issue.

Calvin did not teach that infant baptism saved the infant but rather the dead infant was saved or condemed inaccordance with Predestination, If the infant had saved parents than the infant was probably saved if the infants parents was not saved than of no action of the infant Calvin believed the infant was predestined to condemnation, this conclusion would have worked nicely for Calvin whom lost an infant.
Things get foggy in this perspective for those whom lose an infant before conversion.
The Catholics taught a state of limbo for the infant all of these perspectives are an attempt to make Augustines view of original sin work.

2013/1/31 11:41Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy