SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Are the scriptures sufficient?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
jimp

Re:

hi, 40 years ago, i moved to baton rouge from new orleans to be a part of the great church i still call my home.i quit a great job in n.o. and found a job here working in a gas station. the owner wanted to be open at 5am and i was his man. he paid me for 2 years from 5 to 8 every day to read my bible. what a wonderful gift from God.i would only have 2 or 3 customers during that time.yes God can open the heart of man and fill him with truth with him only reading the Word.jimp

2013/1/5 9:55Profile
andres

texas,brownsville

Re:

I also believe that God uses teachers to clarify things that our sin nature keeps us from learning.. Teachers were instituded by God also to help the Church grow, whether they be dead or alive..

As a father I teach my young boys (3 and 1 ) the scriptures but also teaching them systamaticlly about God
such as: God is Holy.. God made everthing...GOd is one; from the scriptures..

I hope to God that my teaching about God are not stale, because they are systamatic..

I think we must all agree that God uses the Holy Scripture, The Holy Spirit, and The Church to teach us about Himself ( plus an open heart).. If you take one of these out of the equation you run into problems

andy

2013/1/5 10:13Profile
MaryJane

Re:

by bearmaster on 2013/1/5 3:41:06

Perhaps I should refine my question. Can a simple babe in Christ grow in tbe grace and knowledge of Jesus through reading and listening to tbe New Testament? Can a simple child of God do this without the need of commentaries or systematic theologies? Understanding tbeir dependence is on the Holy Spirit.

Bear.

_______

I believe of course that a new Christian can grow in their faith and walk with the LORD by reading the Bible(although I would not limit it to just the New Testament) however I also know from my own walk that GOD does not limit HIMSELF to just using the Bible to mold and shape us into HIS imagine. GOD has used many other wonderful brothers and sisters testimonies in my life to help me, to encourage, admonish, and strengthen me in my daily walk. I also believe as another pointed out that in the WORD the LORD gives some to be teachers, elders, and apostle so HE must want us to be involved in one anthers lives daily. For example could I really learn what it means to be servant, putting another persons needs above my own if I were locked away daily just reading my new testament...I think I might have understanding of the concept of what JESUS is teaching but until I am out there in the world, living with others and actually putting those things into practice then they are just concepts. We are the body of CHRIST, net together to encourage, and admonish each other daily so that none would stumble into sin and I believe that there have been many times GOD has used another to come up in my life whether it be through a teaching, or a book, or even an email to show me sin in my life, and to help me grow in HIM. My take on how best to answer your question, yes GOD can and does use the BIBLE to teach us and grow us but I do not believe HE limits HIMSELF to that one tool so why should we limit ourselves then??? Honestly there are so many wonderful teachings here on this site and all around us that GOD has placed on the heart of men and women through out the years and I would not want to miss out on the things HE might have for me because I put HIM into a box by thinking that "only the New Testament" can be used to cause me to grow in HIM.

Again I remain open to hearing from HIM on these things. Thanks for the topic, just curious what brought up the question for you and what are your thoughts on the topic??

God Bless
mj

2013/1/5 10:18Profile

Re:

Hi MJ,

Thus thrrad was started as an off shoot if the systematic theology thread. Sister by now you know my thoughts on tbis topic. I do believe the scriptures are sufficient for one to grow in understanding of Jesus. I do believe a simple child of grace can learn about Jesus through the New Testament with dependence on tbe Holy Spirit. And yes. One most act on what they hear.

Bearmaster.

2013/1/5 12:43
MaryJane

Re:

by bearmaster on 2013/1/5 6:43:33

Hi MJ,

Thus thrrad was started as an off shoot if the systematic theology thread. Sister by now you know my thoughts on tbis topic. I do believe the scriptures are sufficient for one to grow in understanding of Jesus. I do believe a simple child of grace can learn about Jesus through the New Testament with dependence on tbe Holy Spirit. And yes. One most act on what they hear.

Bearmaster.

Greetings bear

I have not read through the other thread that you mentioned but I will stop by and check it out. Do you not see any value in other teachings that are shared in helping Christians grow in their faith and walk with CHRIST? I only ask because I thought I remembered that you had shared from some other teachings that you had found to be a blessing. I could be confusing you with another though...sorry if that is the case. I believe we agree that a Christian can and does benefit and grow by spending time in the BIBLE. Do you see that there can be opportunity for GOD to use other teachings to cause us to grow as well?

God bless
mj

2013/1/5 20:45Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Who is parakleet? intercessor, consoler:--advocate, comforter. Who is sent to teach us all things? The Comforter, Holy Spirit, Teacher.

What good is the Word? 2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

reproof; Strong's Greek Dictionary
1650. elegchos
Search for G1650 in KJVSL
elegcoV elegchos el'-eng-khos
from 1651; proof, conviction:--evidence, reproof.

correction; Strong's Greek Dictionary
1650. elegchos
Search for G1650 in KJVSL
elegcoV elegchos el'-eng-khos
from 1651; proof, conviction:--evidence, reproof.

instruction; Strong's Greek Dictionary
3809. paideia
Search for G3809 in KJVSL
paideia paideia pahee-di'-ah
from 3811; tutorage, i.e. education or training; by implication, disciplinary correction:--chastening, chastisement, instruction, nurture.

righteousness; Strong's Greek Dictionary
1343. dikaiosune
Search for G1343 in KJVSL
dikaiosunh dikaiosune dik-ah-yos-oo'-nay
from 1342; equity (of character or act); specially (Christian) justification:--righteousness.

All these works are done by the Comforter, which is to bring us to the understanding the now, that we have Christ rebirthed in us, and the Scriptures are Christ alive and put into our hearts and minds by bringing the mind of Christ to our teaching and understanding of who we are in Christ.

Romans 15:6 That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

1 Corinthians 2:16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

Without the Mind of Christ, The life of Christ, the Faith of Christ, The Grace of Christ, the Wisdom of Christ, the Righteousness of Christ, The Sanctification of Christ, the Redemption of Christ, and on and on, the Word alone is not understood by the World.

God's Word will never return void, but it is by His decree that we by His Holy Spirit and the born again life of His Son in us that we can do nothing without this revelation from above and in us.

Philippians 4:6-8 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Mark 10:27 And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.

It takes the Living Word in us Himself that the Word is alive in us that we understand the Scriptures unto the Glory of God our Father.

1 Peter 1:22-23 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

He is our life in the Word. This how powerful the Word is;
Ephesians 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Who's Sword is used to put The Spirit of Christ in us and teach us the Mind of Christ that is in us also, which if we don't have we are none of His.?

In Christ: Phillip

2013/1/6 4:09Profile

Blaine and brothagray

Blaine, you wrote:

Quote:
Thus thrrad was started as an off shoot if the systematic theology thread.

NO?!?...really?.....sorry, a lil sarcasm....and i'm not "blaming" YOU, but we all saw how well that thread went...i do think it was one of the most heart rending threads i've seen here.

Blaine, my feeling is this, its between you and the LORD, you can lead a mule to water, but you cant make it drink.

head knowledge about God has been going on for centuries......and head knowledge is head knowledge, heart knowledge is heart knowledge, ego and pride are ego and pride. Its like rotting meat smelled afar....you dont need a PhD to discern the rank odor of rotting flesh......your nose TELLS YOU that truth....much the same way that Jesus said those who are near to the Kingdom of God, will have the faith of a child....and what is the faith of a child, a child is absolutely DEPENDENT, hence when an "adult", usually a parent says, 'dinner will be served shortly', the child BELIEVES.....it doesnt need "PROOF", the child KNOWS the parent loves it, and wants to feed it, so it is with God. i know God loves me, i'm his child, i believe Him, in ALL His Promises......."doubt" doesnt even creep into my heart, and THAT in itself is a Gift, the Gift of Faith.....now for me to explain this Gift to ANYONE, would be like trying to descibe the smell of wood smoke....what do i say?

uhhh, its smells like wood smoke.

i pray this thread doesnt go awry like the other.

and brothagary, you made this rash statement:

Quote:
proudpappa i dont think the pharisees believed the scripture ,they never undertood it

what do you mean?

maybe you should read Deuteronomy 13...or consider what Gamaliel said to those who wanted to stomp the disciples for preaching the Ressurected Messiah, before you write as such.....and i DO write that in humility to you.

2013/1/6 13:03
proudpapa

Re: brothagary

Hi brothagary

I asked 'according to scripture did the Pharisees believe their scriptures??'

brothagary wrote //proudpappa i dont think the pharisees believed the scripture ,they never undertood it//

That is the right answer, Jesus said that they did not believe the scriptures. You are right had they believed the scripture they would have understood it but instead they believed the Jewish Orthodoxy of their day wich had done gymnastics with the scriptures. Had they truly believed the scripture they would not have been blind to that reality.

2013/1/6 15:31Profile
brothagary

Re:

calm down neil your staring to freak out bro take a few deep breths , i was answering a question from our brother pappa ,,,there was no rashness or malis,,,i felt i did not want pappa to think i was ignoring him

brother please don let your jewish roots casue you to misjudg my intentions regarding the pharrisees

blessings

2013/1/6 16:22Profile

Re: ChristinYou

Phillip I believe you have brought some very rich truth in your post for us to meditate on. One thing that did grip me was Jesus is the Word. And his words are the Word. One can not separate the two. Thus can it be said the more of his words you have in you the more of Jesus you have in you? Or am I sipping on some Arkansas shine assuming this?

Bearmaster

2013/1/6 18:32

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy