SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Which Covenant Did Jesus Teach?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Croref

Re:

by ArtB on 2012/11/16 7:09:58

Croref wrote ". . proving Jesus was of no OT law. Though He referred to it in instances, never taught it."

Actually, Jesus, prior to his ressurection, lived under the Mosaic Law, He taught God's people how to keep the Mosaic Law. Jesus never sought gentiles, His mission was to teach encourage His fellow Jews How to keep the Mosaic Law. Jesus never taught the New Covenant prior to His death, but He did give a few clues in His parables and speeches.

Had Jesus taught the New Covenant prior to His death, Jesus would have violated the Mosaic Covenant. At best, Jesus hinted about a New Covenant.

No offense but, I do not wish to engage what I consider an extremely error ridden mindset. I will await the opinion of others. Thank You.

2012/11/16 10:21Profile
passerby

Re:

Can anyone help me find passages in the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John about the Lord Jesus teaching old or new covenant.

2012/11/17 4:02Profile
passerby

Re:

Did He re really teach about covenants?

If one will read the four gospels for the first time without a pre-conceived theological framework, will he read about the new covenant or old covenant?

Or_ simply about mercy, grace, love of God, humility before God, the Lordship and diety of Christ, His authority or Him being above the 'Law', the way of salvation by believing and following Him, the coming great judgment, the resurrection of the dead, the eternal, life, and the eternal damnation.

2012/11/17 4:48Profile
brothagary

Re:

didnt jesus say at the last supper this is the blood of the new covernt which is shed for you

check it out

2012/11/17 5:13Profile
passerby

Re:

Indeed, one concept that will burn ones heart is His authority and His sovereignty even above the law that when one malefactor that was crucified with Him pleaded:

" And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise" (Luke 23:42-43).

The Lord Jesus is our Salvation, in Him and through Him alone.

2012/11/17 5:13Profile
brothagary

Re:

luke 22.20 In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you

mark 14 ;24
And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many

2012/11/17 5:21Profile
Croref

Re:

“The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: . . . . ” Is there a law for these traits that folk, on both sides of the cross, manifested?

see Gal5:22

2012/11/17 8:09Profile
jimp

Re:

dear passerby,you do not teach covenants you establish them and live under them. Jesus cut the covenant in His flesh for God and man. dr. livingston was in africa and he was brought before a great cheif. the cheif saw dr livingston's sheep and goats and told him to give them to him and he would give them his staff.dr. livingston struggled but gave up the animals and the cheif his stick. then the cheif cut both of themin the wrist area with a knife and grasped dr. livingstonshand so that the blood would mix. the next village dr. livingston went to ;the people saw the staff and bowed down to him and obeyed his every command to sit and listen.almost all were converted. that stick and the covenant he cut with that cheif opened up africa to the gospel of Jesus.jimp when they saw the stick they saw the cheif.

2012/11/17 9:20Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

2Ti 3:16-17
(16) All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
(17) That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Rom 3:21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

Act 28:23 And when they had appointed him a day, there came many to him into his lodging; to whom he expounded and testified the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus, both out of the law of Moses, and out of the prophets, from morning till evening.

Joh 1:45 Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.

Luk 24:44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.

Jesus did not come to teach one covenant or another. He came to complete the first and usher in the second. He was the pivot point of history. He came as the second Adam to destroy the power of sin through the flesh offering to man a new and living way through the spirit.

Obviously the only scripture that was written down at the time Jesus was on the earth was the old testament scriptures. As such, Jesus quoted and used these scriptures exclusively. None of what we know as the new testament was extant at the time. Yet He demonstrated Himself in those scriptures. Remember when He stood in the synagogue and claimed to be the Messiah? (Luke 4:18)

And He proclaimed clearly that His purpose was to usher in a new and better covenant.

Luk 22:19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.
Luk 22:20 Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

Jesus was well taught in scripture and was anointed by God with wisdom and understanding. Paul the Apostle was well versed in scripture having been taught in the school of Gamaliel. In this sense Paul was a Rabbinical scholar, a Pharisee of Pharisees. Both Jesus and Paul said that the law and the prophets (the old testament scriptures) bore witness to the coming of the Messiah to usher in the new covenant. For just one example, see Jeremiah 31:33.

I believe if we take a step or two back and look at the broad picture, we can see that it is not so much about whether Jesus' teachings seem to reflect the jots and tittles of one covenant or the other, but rather that Jesus purpose was to bring to a conclusion the old so that He might usher in the new.

2012/11/17 9:25Profile
Croref

Re:

by twayneb on 2012/11/17 6:25:54

I believe if we take a step or two back and look at the broad picture, we can see that it is not so much about whether Jesus' teachings seem to reflect the jots and tittles of one covenant or the other, but rather that Jesus purpose was to bring to a conclusion the old so that He might usher in the new.

And Jesus, being the 'handshake' between God and man, did just that.

2012/11/17 10:27Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy