SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Anxiety Attacks

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
moreofHim

Re: panic attacks

dann, your story is amazing! glad you found out what it was.

stephen2, you said:

Quote:
People who experience panic attacks generally have "elevated anxiety sensitivity". So, they "misinterpret arousal-related bodily sensations because they believe the sensations to have harmful consequences such as death...

I have recently found this out is so true. I happen to be one of those whose body is very sensative to things and my body reacts to emotional or mental stimuli.

The worst of this has happened to me this year when I found out i had skin cancer. Through the whole thing, I had so much fear and anxiety that not only was I consumed by it and have all the normal displays of panic, but then different areas of my body would have pain. It first started with my jaws. I had tensed them up so much and didnt' know it. I thought maybe I hd lock jaw. Of course because of the skin cancer (and them telling you all the medical hoopla that goes with it and how it can spread...) I start thinking it's cancer that's making my face and jaw hurt so much. I mean I had to take pain killers because i was in so much pain. but no, it was anxiety. and after I learned that I was fine, the pain slowly went away with a day or so.

Next came my "lump in the throat". Of course , I didn't know what it was. I just knew my throat felt tight and felt like something was stuck in it. Of course, my mind runs right to "it's cancer, i know it". Well, after a trip to the Dr. again and xrays, - it's anxiety again causing it.

Third time, I had major pelvic and hip pain. When to different Dr.s for tests to make sure it was not lymph nodes or anything like that (and of course worrying all along that it was) found out after making myself do relazation techniques that it was also anxiety.

My oncologist knows about all of this and he has had lots of experiecne with people who freak out once they have to come face to face with life and death. He said some people are built that way. The more artsy, feely, sensative type of person feels their fear and anxiety come out in strange ways in their bodies. Shortness of breath, dizzy, feeling like you might die, tingling in the hands, heart palpitations , feeling out of your body-- and even finally pain.

I prayed so much during all of this and nothing seemed to help. I simply was afraid of the worst case scenerio, was afraid of more pain, of not knowing what is going to happen to me and my family.

But the bottom line, is that I wasn't trustng the Lord.

When you fear, you don't trust the Lord and that He will take care of things the way He sees fit.

I knew this and know this now- and it will be a process I know. Like Stephen2, said, you can renew your thinking, renew your mind, with scripture with God's words with the truth.

What you are believing "might" happen is usually not the truth. It's a bunch of "what ifs".

Just more thoughts....

One day I will have this all figured out. :)

I am trusting the Lord to show me how to be delivered from fear and to help others as well.

In His love, Chanin

2005/2/28 16:12Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
The good news is that people can train themselves to think differently (respond to stimuli differently) thereby eliminating the cause of the attack.

I have suffered from this condition on and off for the last few years and I know and can sympatize with anyone that has problems in this area. It is very discouraging and very hard to deal with. But I do believe that if we continue to put our eyes on the Lord and have condifince in Him then these problems will lessen or go away completely. One person has suggested memorizing scriptures to repeat in ones mind when in a situation that is uncomfortable.

I do firmly believe that the enemy can use this against people, and I have struggled with this allowing this foothold in my life at times.

Here is the testimony of Carter Conlon which he shares how he struggled in this area:
[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=2089]He Lives in Me by Carter Conlon[/url]

2005/2/28 22:28Profile
Matt25

Athens Ga

Re: Anxiety Attacks

Anxiety attacks and Panic attacks were a normal part of my life for about 5 years. I'm 29 now and they started to hit me when i was 22 or 23. I've noticed that when I'm earnestly seeking Christ (studying, praying, honestly seeking his will) then they are virtually eliminated. When I go through periods of worldliness (hidden sin or outright open sin) then they tend to creep back in.
I truly believe that the root of all anxiety is the fear of dying. Death = judgement. You may die in Christ but our works are still going to be "held to the fire". A lot of us, me included, feel like we have a lot of hay and stubble and not much gold. I believe if you are a Christian and dealing with Anxiety or Panic attacks then it is possible that you may not be in God's complete will for you life. Ultimate peace is to be at the center of God's Will.

2005/2/28 23:10Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I truly believe that the root of all anxiety is the fear of dying. Death = judgement. You may die in Christ but our works are still going to be "held to the fire". A lot of us, me included, feel like we have a lot of hay and stubble and not much gold. I believe if you are a Christian and dealing with Anxiety or Panic attacks then it is possible that you may not be in God's complete will for you life. [b]Ultimate peace is to be at the center of God's Will.[/b]

Brother thank you for sharing this! I hope many read your statments for they ring [b]very[/b] true to me. Bless you brother and may we all die to ourselves and live unto Christ.

2005/2/28 23:16Profile
Matt25

Athens Ga

Re:

To clarify what I just said...I'm not saying that if you have Panic attacks then you're not doing God's will. I'm really trying to point out that in my experience and a few other Christians with whom I've talked have discovered an interesting correlation between our walk as Christians and our ultimate level of anxiety. I guess we should all remember that ultimately for the Christian, to die is gain.

2005/2/28 23:23Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

This is not intended as a simplistic solution just a contribution.Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
(Psa 91:5-6 KJV)
If this psalmist had not experienced 'panic attacks' he had certainly experienced something that sounds very similar. The arrow is a particular image of something that comes 'out of the blue'.

It seems the psalm provides both a preventative...
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High..

and a curative...
He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble...

I'd rather have Him 'with me in trouble' than be 'without Him in green pastures'.

2005/3/1 11:53Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy