SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A very serious threat!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
There are some young people who read these threads, and in my family, "crap" is unwholesome. Please consider us. Thank you for understanding.

In my study the same is true.

Abstain from all appearance of evil. (1Th 5:22 KJV)

2005/2/16 16:31Profile

Re:

Quote:
In my study the same is true. Abstain from all appearance of evil. (1Th 5:22 KJV)

philogos, I completely understand what you're saying. There is some history behind my response to the request not to use that word.

I was giving a teaching once, and using the KJV (of course), and in the portion of scripture I was using was the word "bastard" (Zechariah 9). Well... you would have thought that I had committed the unpardonable sin. As soon as I was done with the teaching, one set of parents met me in on my back deck and went up one side of me and down the other for reading that word in the presence of children. I said "well, it's a word that's in the Bible... and if your children ask you about it, you should take the opportunity to turn it into a teaching moment."

That didn't go over too well either... and they actually left our fellowship over that because I wouldn't apologize. (Their suggestion was that I use the NIV since the language was less offensive... and I refused, as I always will.)

Granted, the word in question on this thread is not in the Bible. Therefore I do agree with the idea that it could be offensive to some... thus it probably is out of place here.

I just wanted to explain why I responded the way I did.

Krispy

2005/2/16 16:49
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

When I think of those words that are questionable, if they are used in the context it would be ok. Ex. Using the name Jesus Christ. Some use it for praise as others use it like its a filthy curse word. Hell would fall into the same catagory. I personally try to aviod slang ussage of words like that. Most times you can just omit the word from your sentance and it gets the same point across. Ex. Using Hell as a word to amplify No. You could have just said NO instead of putting the 2 words together.

2005/2/16 17:13Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re: A very serious threat!

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Please alert your friends to this alarming threat.

Before I post what I am about to post, I'd like to offer this disclaimer:
The views presented in this post are not those held by Sermon Index, Greg Gordon, or Aaron Ireland. They are simply a recounting of information presented to the poster in good faith, by a third party.

I heard a story, from a pastor in Sydney, about a Pakistani minster who went to a muslim doctor, for a check up. During their conversation, the doctor casually asked the minister (assuming that he was a minister), what he was doing to ensure the spread of Islam, in Australia. The minister answered that he wasn't, to which the doctor insisted of the importance of such a task.

Upon hearing the passionate rebuke from the doctor, the minister decided to ask him what he was doing. The doctor replied that he was ensuring that those who were opposing the task were being stopped. The minister asked how he was doing that, he replied "Anyway I can." The minister asked, "No really what are you actually doing?" The doctor said that he was silencing all opposition with medicine.

Is this true? Lets just say that the man who told me hasn't lied to me yet.

2005/2/17 2:48Profile

Re:

Boy... all I was doing was posting a joke I received in my email! You know, humor?

Krispy

2005/2/17 8:04
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

Brethren
I do apologise for using that word. I will refrain from using it in future. I must ask though, Krispy brought up an interesting point, would dung be usable in it's stead? Just curious

2005/2/17 11:57Profile
rocklife

usa

Re:

Just to clarify, the whole sentence the word "c---" was used in is vulgar. Not just the word at the time.

Context is important, when Pastor Richard Wurmbrand talks about such things being smeared on christians under torture, christians who are being mocked on crosses and forced to wear excrement to mock Christ, then such talk is not vulgar, it is reality and sharing in their sufferings (it helps people talk about terrible realities and we can pray), but to joke about such things in untrue ways is just a vulgar joke.

Thank you Ironman, for your consideration and apology. The Ephesians quote I posted reminds us vulgar jokes are also out of place, again I am referring to the comment the word "c---" was in specifically. Thanks again.

2005/2/17 15:32Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Boy... all I was doing was posting a joke I received in my email! You know, humor?

Just a bit crass krisp :-)

2005/2/17 15:38Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

You know Krispy I think I know a bit about how you felt when you said "illegitimate son"... :-(

2005/2/19 1:03Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy