SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Do you sin?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Quote:
It is hard to describe what it is like to be in this state. It can be compared with being in love, that feeling of joy and excitement inside, that feeling of being in exctacy, bubbling up inside and the presence of God being so strong like the time when you first came to Christ and were forgiven. Once one has experienced it there is nothing to compare it to. The words in scripture suddenly have real meaning and especially the words joy and freedom. In this state there is absolute healing of all the scars of life. I went for over 30 years not knowing what I was missing but now I do. Nothing is impossible when one is in this state and sin is not even in the picture. Pleasing God is the only thought.(krautfrau)

Brenda, that kind of experience is available for every child of God who is saved by God's grace through faith in Christ. One does not have to adhere to this doctrine which you adhere to to have that kind of experience. By God's grace I've had such experiences throughout my walk with the Lord.

They are baptisms or fillings of the Holy Spirit. I would agree that during that moment where one is caught up in the holiest presence of God one is purged of all sin, like Isaiah in Isa.6:1-8 and like John in Rev.1:17.

There have been and still are men and women of God who have had such experiences with the Lord who do not adhere to sinless perfection, but rather acknowledge their own shortcomings. The sad thing is that you would call them unsaved if they sinned but once in the course of a day.

Sin is sin Brenda, whether in thought word or deed, ommission or commission. It will not work to call certain sins "mistakes" or other names. It makes you proud and self-righteous and you don't even realize it.

The following scriptures declare the good news of salvation through Christ by faith, for yours and others' consideration here:

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.”(Rom.1:16-17)

"But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22 even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference; 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed, 26 to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith. 28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law. 29"(Rom.3:21-29)

"What then shall we say that Abraham our father has found according to the flesh?2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God. 3 For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.”4 Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt. 5 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness, 6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works:7 “Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven,And whose sins are covered; 8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord shall not impute sin.”(Rom.4:1-8)

"Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is that they may be saved. 2 For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. 3 For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God.(Rom.10:1-3)

"For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them.”11 But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for “the just shall live by faith.”12 Yet the law is not of faith, but “the man who does them shall live by them.”13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree", 14 that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith."(Gal.3:10-14)

"But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), 6 and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7 that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them"(Eph.2:4-10)

The same kind of faith that saved Abraham and all the other OT saints, is the same kind of faith that saves us today. It is a humble trust in the God who shows mercy to all who come to Him by faith.

2012/7/8 11:57Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Quote:
Most Christians are content to believe that the best they can do is perhaps sin a little less after their rebirth.

If I am not mistaken (and correct me if I am misinterpreting you, Blayne), I think he is saying that MANY HAVE COME TO THIS PLACE(through wrong teaching and man-made doctrine) SOMETIME AFTER THEIR NEW BIRTH.

There is doctrine out there that "lowers the bar". That says you cannot overcome sins (of course WE can't). At some point in many Christian's lives, they take a left turn on the road of men's doctrine and they rationalize what "walking in the Spirit" means.

I don't think Blayne is saying that when someone is truly born-again these are their initial thoughts. Anyone who has been truly born-again has experienced an immediate hatred for sin and desire (place in them by the Law of the Spirit) to not sin against the Lord even once. The Spirit leads one to put to death the deeds of the flesh and when you experience this reality and subsequent closeness to God, it is wonderful.

By and by many will experience in their Christian life the watering down of the Word by man's teachings until they are comfortable with sin in their lives. This is not the walk that God has called us to.

Blayne, please correct me if I am misspeaking for you.

Pilgrim

2012/7/8 12:35Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Quote:
I don't think Blayne is saying that when someone is truly born-again these are their initial thoughts. Anyone who has been truly born-again has experienced an immediate hatred for sin and desire (place in them by the Law of the Spirit) to not sin against the Lord even once. The Spirit leads one to put to death the deeds of the flesh and when you experience this reality and subsequent closeness to God, it is wonderful.(pilgrim777)

Complete agreement with you there pilgrim. That is a sound, biblical view of true conversion. It is what biblical reformed theology teaches. I'm not saying I am reformed, but sometimes you seem to have issues with all of reformed theology. I try to take in the good and discard the bad, that goes for any theological framework.

Quote:
By and by many will experience in their Christian life the watering down of the Word by man's teachings until they are comfortable with sin in their lives. This is not the walk that God has called us to.(pilgrim777)

Again, complete agreement there brother. On the other hand there is a real danger of placing such a high standard and "burden" on true believers which impossible to meet this side of heaven. I am a little confused and don't understand why you wouldn't see that as a real danger brother. You seem to have no concern or problem with the doctrine of sinless perfectionism.

We are not lowering the standard of what it is to walk in the Spirit. We are simply defending the true gospel and grace of God.

Righteousness is both positional and practical in our lives. Because of the positional righteousness of Christ applied to us through faith, we are not condemned, even if and when we sin. Does that give us a license to sin? Certainly not. Like you pointed out, if we are born again we will hate sin with all of our being and seek to depart from all of it.

At the same time God works practical or experiential righteousness in and through us by His Spirit as we draw close to Him daily by faith. It is the process of sanctification as God continually conforms us to the image of Christ.

2012/7/8 14:03Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Quote:
Again, complete agreement there brother. On the other hand there is a real danger of placing such a high standard and "burden" on true believers which impossible to meet this side of heaven. I am a little confused and don't understand why you wouldn't see that as a real danger brother. You seem to have no concern or problem with the doctrine of sinless perfectionism.

Hi Oracio,

Thanks for your comments. Glad to see we are more in sync than previously thought. Let me try to clear up an misconceptions about your perception of my views on the doctrine of "sinless perfection".

Let's examine another view of Righteousness, that we hear about today. Some take the view that one cannot be free from sin, just forgiven. In many places one sees the motto: "Christians aren't perfect just forgiven." The acceptance of imperfection and unrighteousness seems to be the norm for the church. What this motto really says to the world is, "I am a sinner just like you, but I'm forgiven and you are not." The emphasis is put on forgiveness instead of righteousness. Many have the attitude of a Christian minister who was in an adulterous relationship; when confronted he responded, "Every night before I go to sleep, I just ask the Lord to forgive me."

Is there more than forgiveness? Is there freedom from sin? Many respond to these questions by talking about the sin nature in the believer, saying one can never be free from sin because sin will always be in him until he dies. They say the righteousness of Christ in no way changes the carnal nature, neither does the carnal nature affect the divine nature. Here man finds himself in a schizophrenic dualism of confusion and failure. The emphasis is upon "saved IN sin" rather than "saved FROM sin". One finds himself living in a two story house with no connecting stairway. On one floor there can be no sin, while on the other floor there is nothing but sin.

In seeking a Biblical position let us consider the following; first there IS actual cleansing from sin. "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to CLEANSE US from ALL UNRIGHTEOUSNESS" (1 John 1:9). So, here is the step BEYOND FORGIVENESS; there IS CLEANSING from ALL UNRIGHTEOUSNESS. The blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin (v 7). When one is cleansed, he is SET FREE. The cleansing comes through a process of repentance, as "we walk in the light as He is in the light" (vs 7).

Second, there is release from the corrupt nature, "Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead IS FREED FROM SIN." Rom 6:6-7. Just as Jesus Christ died for the sin of the world, so sin must die in me. Are you committed to total freedom from sin? You ask, "Do I believe I can reach a point where I CANNOT sin?" No, but I believe one can reach a point where they ARE FREE NOT TO SIN.

Third, there is a baptism of the Holy Spirit that renews the human nature. "He saved us...by the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit" (Titus 3:5). The baptism of the Holy Spirit is an infusion of God's love, and invasion of God's Spirit, a penetration of truth and righteousness, and an emancipation from sin. Only the Holy Spirit can reach the depth of man's being and bring radical change. God promised this as part of the New Covenant. God promised those in the New Covenant:

Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. Ezekiel 36:25-27

Christ came to make men righteous. This is more than a legal reckoning of faith; rather, righteousness is to be experienced as a work of the Holy Spirit. This is radical and immediate. The Holy Spirit will come as a fire to purge from all defilement, as a knife to circumcise the heart, and as a scribe to write God's laws on your heart. "Christ in you, the hope of glory", is the Holy Spirit in you bringing forth His righteousness (Colossians 1:27).

Hope this helps to answer your question.

Pilgrim

2012/7/8 15:14Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Thanks for the explanation pilgrim. I agree with your post. The only thing we may disagree on is on the belief in a "positional" as well as a "practical" righteousness in the life every true believer. Do you believe in a "positional" righteousness applied to our account by faith? Or do you reject that belief?

And the question still begs, as a Christian, do you sin, pilgrim? If so, do you lose your salvation every single time you sin and therefore need to get saved again?

2012/7/8 15:27Profile
proudpapa

krautfrau

RE: Savannah wrote /krautfrau...aka Brenda,
Why are you adding sin upon sin?
You are not only teaching damnable heresy, but you ought not to be even at-tempting teaching men, as it so happens that God has created you a woman!/

krautfrau just be glad that we are not in Boston in the 1660s as was Mary Dyer and Anne Hutchinson when men with such theolgy had power.

2012/7/8 15:33Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
Oracio...And the question still begs, as a Christian, do you sin, pilgrim?

If Christians don't sin, why would we need repent and ask for forgiveness when we do sin? That would be an oxymoron.

2012/7/8 15:34Profile
proudpapa

Re: by savannah on 2012/7/7 21:18:09

RE: Savannah wrote on 2012/7/7 21:18:09
/You are not only teaching damnable heresy, but you ought not to be even at-tempting teaching men, as it so happens that God has created you a woman!/

Damnable heresy by whose standard?? the Synod of Dort??

Galatians ch 4
29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.

2012/7/8 16:00Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Hi there Oracio,

Good to be working on this with you.

I believe 1 John 1:8 and 10 for the present and past.

1Jn 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

1Jn 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

And thank God for 1 Jn 1:9 for the future:
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

But this is not permission to sin.

As far as "positional" righteousness:

I think you are saying that just as God put righteousness to Abraham's account because of his faith, He does the same for us, who exercise faith in His Son. Faith is not righteousness. Through faith, righteousness is reckoned. Righteousness is a gift for faith to take.

Rom 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Abraham's response to a promise was FAITH and the result was righteousness. The entire source is in God.

Justification deals with the lawless and God Himself puts away all they have lawlessly committed and places them before Him as righteous. All this is on the basis of faith and this is the same faith that we are commanded to continue to walk in, in order to actually experience righteousness.

So, yes, I believe in positional or imputed righteousness, but one must go on into experiential righteousness. God wants us to experience freedom from sin. Man must go on to a life of righteousness. The gift of righteousness produces works of righteousness (sanctification) which will produce the fruit of the Spirit in Galatians 5 and a life of holiness.

1Th_4:7 For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness.

Rom_6:22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

Righteous works must follow true faith, but we don't have faith in our works, we have faith in the work of Jesus Christ.

Php_3:12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.

Blessings,
Pilgrim

2012/7/8 16:08Profile

Re: I have a body of death. He greets me good morning every day. He's creepy.

" But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin."
Romans ;written by Paul the Apostle AD 57-58..age 50-55?

My question to some of you here, did Paul still sin? It is obvious that he did, and in wretched self discovery begged for the one thing that would free him; God's deliverance alone. Paul, in my opinion, may have been the most spiritual man on the Earth at this time. His education was by the mouth of God alone in Heaven; prohibited even to speak of some things, so holy.

As long as we live we will carry a sin nature. It is embedded within us, and it carries our name. We will only end our struggle with this satanic self on the moment of our death, and then, in the purity of Heavenly light, we will be set free, delivered.

Any one of you who drives a car; let me nudge you off of the road while fingering you. What will happen in your heart? or anyone who has offended your pride? or crossed you?

Our duty is to keep our hearts clean by allowing the Holy Spirit with us to kill us; to learn to die daily, to bear our cross as Jesus put it, DAILY. We must learn how to love, which must preclude honoring ourselves, which includes dying to our sin nature.

Equally, the Apostle John seemed to be right up there with Paul, writing Revelation prophecies, John, and the letters! He knew Jesus, and rested his head on his heart. An Apostle who cared for the mother of Jesus after the cross. When encountering the Creator Jesus Yahweh in full glory, it is written:

"I saw one like a son of man, clothed in a robe reaching to the feet, and girded across His chest with a golden sash. His head and His hair were white like white wool, like snow; and His eyes were like a flame of fire.

His feet were like burnished bronze, when it has been made to glow in a furnace, and His voice was like the sound of many waters. In His right hand He held seven stars, and out of His mouth came a sharp two-edged sword; and His face was like the sun shining in its strength.

.."When I saw Him, I fell at His feet like a dead man."

He , John, was still a soul man, with a wicked nature, and who can stand before God with it, with out mercy? None, no, not one.

PS: I read or skimmed every post before commenting. Very nice!

2012/7/8 16:20

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy