SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Access over 100,000+ Sermons from Ancient to Modern
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : worldly entertainment (smoke & mirrors)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Krispy wrote:
"God gave some the ability to create art, whether it be paintings, poetry, literature, music... and even acting."

I find it amazing that Christians, imbued with the Holy Spirit, have not been far influential in the world of art today. I am sure some of the great composers of the past were Christians, but it seems like there is a dearth of quality Christian movies, for example. The one film that everyone points to is "The Passion" and it was indeed a very good film but even Mel is likely a nominal Christian, at best. I am not saying that movies like "Courageous" aren't good; they just aren't great. Why is that?

2012/6/26 9:43Profile

Re:

I can tell you why... Christians are not given the freedom to just create. Pressure is put on them to preach a sermon thru their art, and when that happens it comes across as contrived. Now, God bless the people and church that is putting out movies like Giants and Courageous. Their heart is in the right place and I think they are doing the best they can with what they have.

But I know when I began to tell people I was writing a novel everyone assumed I was writing a "Christian" novel that would be inspirational and all of that... and when I said "No, actually... it's not" boy did I get some criticism. A couple people actually thought I was backsliding, and they would be praying for me.

(Talk about judging a book by it's cover! I had barely even begun to write the book and already people were criticizing it! lol... foolish)

I mean get real. If I am forced to write a Christian novel and forced to make some kind of statement with it... it's gonna be a very bad and contrived piece of literature. I gave myself the freedom to just write... and enjoy it... and get into the characters... and watch it develop.

There may be a day where I sit down and write a Christian novel, but it HAS to flow out of me. I cant make it happen. I dont want to make it happen.

Music especially... if a Christian puts out a CD of love songs, watch out! They could be the cleanest love songs written since the Song of Solomon,all dedicated to his wife... and Christians will GOSSIP about whether or not the singer is really saved because he didnt mention Jesus in every other line. (I've seen it happen on this forum... gossip)

Christians will not allow Christians to just play and perform music for the pure enjoyment of it.

Yes, there are lines to be drawn in the sand when it comes to entertainment... I think we all agree on that. But we've put everything into this really small box and declared anything outside of that box to be worldly and sinful.

It's almost gnostic, if you think about it!

So what you end up with in the church is contrived art. It's forced. And thats why it's junk most of the time.

Christian novels... go to any Christian bookstore. There are hundreds of them there and I wouldnt give you a plug nickle for 99.9% of them. And I dont want to see anything I've written on the shelf with them... that would be guilty by association!

Now, you want to see some beautiful works of art pertaining to Christianity? Go to the art museum on the Bob Jones University campus in Greenville, SC. Wow... it's the largest collection of religious art in the world, with the exception of the art museum at the Vatican. It's breath-taking.

Krispy

2012/6/26 10:33
ritchie

United States

Re: back on track

Proverbs 3:6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Romans 1:28-31 And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless.

2012/6/26 11:41Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Krispy wrote:
"Now, you want to see some beautiful works of art pertaining to Christianity? Go to the art museum on the Bob Jones University campus in Greenville, SC. Wow... it's the largest collection of religious art in the world, with the exception of the art museum at the Vatican. It's breath-taking."

I have family in Greenville area and fully intend to see this. I agree with your post in its entirety. Well said.

ritchie wrote:
"Proverbs 3:6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Romans 1:28-31 And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless."

It would be helpful if you would state why you quoted those verses. Are you trying to make a point about something someone said? Mere scripture quotations with ambiguous intent are not very helpful.

2012/6/26 12:19Profile

Re:

I have had God speak to me once or twice through a movie or a show, so I don't discount God's methods. However, I personally don't want to use that as a crutch to watch television, or whatever medium is being used. I have Netflix, and I find it to be more of a past time than actual entertainment being single and all which is no excuse mind you.

From my personal standpoint, (this is for me, just me, no one else) I find that when I watch a movie, or build something in my apartment or take the scooter out or dine with friends or responding to posts here on SI, I find all these things a distraction and draining and I as I get older, I am finding that my time is precious before God. He is jealous of my time and I feel it and I am praying that these things that distract me will fall away as I seek His face. I know that not all of them will fall away, but at least some of them will be less frequent.

So I am not against your liberty, but I would like for you to know that I am not at liberty to do the things that I would like to do all the time. I am glad that He demands more of my time like a wife demanding more time to be with her husband, It's nice to be wanted.

2012/6/26 12:32

Re:

Approved, I am right there with you brother. Most entertainment is a waste of time if we let it be. If it distracts us from our kids or families... if it distracts us from time with the Lord... we need to know where the limits are.

And the limits are different for everyone. Thats the beauty of God. No two people are the same.

As I get older I watch much less TV and movies. Actually hardly any at all. First off most of them are sinful. But mainly... I'm just not interested.

Krispy

2012/6/26 12:44
ritchie

United States

Re: satans stragety

What is satan primarily trying to get people to except? In the garden what was his focus in regard to his tempting Eve? His question and statements were all implying, you can have fulfillment without GODS direction and help, in fact you can even be equal with God Himself,you will be like GOD knowing good and evil.

Ever since his first encounter with man in the garden, satan's agenda has not changed, he aims to bring man to a place of self exaltation because he knows from experience what the result of such folly is. He has developed quite a clever marketing strategy to implement his agenda; he leads man down a deceptive path in order to mask his true purpose which is making man believe in his own inherent goodness apart from GOD. He markets the idea that being moral and being GODLY are one in the same, this naturally leads man to assume that if I have high moral standards I am like GOD.

Even people who claim not to believe in GOD will accept this concept of morality as being a GOD like virtue. Here in lies the problem, morality is always subject to environment , what is acceptable in one arena might not be in another thus making morality subjective. So if morality is equal with GODLENESS and morality is subjective, then GOD is in subjection to my arena of thought, thus making me the god of my own world. What ever is right for me might not be right for you, thus negating absolute truth. Does this not sound exactly like modern day secular theology?

But wait, what about Christians, surly they understand that being moral is not the same as being GODLY, or do they? If you were to ask the average believer today what he looks far in a person that would indicate a relationship with our dear LORD, you might be surprised at the answers you would get! Morality would most certainly have to be an obvious trait, but morality based on what? Morality for a Christian is unique to Gods word or HIS law. The problem is Christian morality gets mingled in with all other secular based moralities and they are viewed as one in the same.

The homosexual community has Christian based moral values mixed in with their own moral values and attempt to validate their lifestyle based on morality because it is morally wrong to discriminate. If morality is the supreme dictator in our understanding and theology, we have most certainly missed the mark. Governing our every day activities based solely on morality allows us to have no need of a daily commune with our FATHER GOD.

What I find in the christian community is this, we neglect a consultation with GOD on issues such as entertainment, dress ,ect.......in exchange for a moral standard, we allow morality to dictate our standard,when our standard should be every word that proceeds from the mouth of GOD. I am not implying Christians should not adhere to a moral standard, just that we have come to rely on the standard while neglecting the ever abiding presence of our FATHER.

It is easier to govern or actions based on morality than to spend the time necessary to hear from our FATHER. A lifestyle based strictly on morality will soon become legalistic and unfruitful, all the while leading us away from communion with GOD. I find we become tolerant of and even friendly with worldly ways as long as they fit in a moral box, not even considering how GODS honor has been violated. Never forget this one thing, if GOD is being robbed of the honor due HIM, I do not care how moral, clean, and upright a matter or situation is, it originated in the mind of satan. We Christians must get back to honoring GOD in every aspect of our lives if we are ever going to see HIS glory manifested in our midst.

2012/6/26 15:03Profile

Re:

Good word, ritchie. Thanks!

I think you'll find that on this thread most people agree with every word you just said and are attempting to put it into practice.

Krispy

2012/6/26 15:36
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

On "Leave it to Beaver" today, Beaver wanted it to rain because he broke the kite his dad made him for kite day. He asked his mom how to make it rain. She gave him three options:

1) cloud seeding
2) prayer
3) indian rain dance

Beaver went with #3. What a little pagan.

2012/6/26 16:39Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

QUOTE:

A lifestyle based strictly on morality will soon become legalistic and unfruitful, all the while leading us away from communion with GOD. I find we become tolerant of and even friendly with worldly ways as long as they fit in a moral box,

So true.

Then the next step is one approves of them. Romans 1:32 (NASB) comes to mind:

32and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them.

How frightening is this? Reminds of of what wise observer used to say, "People are getting used to the dark."

2012/6/26 16:40Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy