SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : worldly entertainment (smoke & mirrors)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
ritchie

United States

worldly entertainment (smoke & mirrors)

The following is a developed observation and study over many years from observing the effects of worldly entertainment upon myself first and then others. My first question for us is this, according to ROM. 1:28 what is the cause for GOD giving men over to a reprobate mind?

Not retaining the knowledge of GOD is without a doubt the cause. As I was entering the movie theater on one occasion, I believe it was the spirit of GOD speaking to me and saying, you are about to enter a world where I do not exist. As I began to muse upon this thought, I realized that this whole movie experience is a time given over to the imagination of men who do not acknowledge the existence of GOD much less the purpose of HIS dealings with mankind.

Do we really think that sitting in a room that is created to encapsulate all of our senses and while basically being engulfed in the atmosphere of a world where GOD is a joke that this does not effect us? Our sense of smell & taste (popcorn), our sense of sound & sight,and our sense of touch (vibration from the sound) all making us feel at ease while we let down our guard and relax and forget this is GODS world from whom we receive our very breath.

While we observe the good moral message and content of a film we often forget to whom this morality and goodness is being attributed,isn't it unto a man and not to GOD? Let us take for example a very moral and so called clean T.V. show as leave it to Beaver. A family setting where Ward Cleaver's son Beaver is forever getting into a mess, and at the end of the episode Ward all ways sets beaver on the good and moral high ground by teaching him the error of his ways and showing him the path to being a good and upright citizen.

Now most evangelical Christians would have no problem with this show,but my whole concern with this show and ones like it is this, where was GOD ? Did Ward ever mention or even imply that morality apart from Christ is as filthy rags,and our own efforts to achieve goodness;GOD rejects. The whole problem is we do not expect this of any secular show but we still watch it and have no qualms about its implications of a life where goodness is a virtue that is born of man,thus exalting man to a place that exclusively belongs to GOD.( Mark 10:18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God)  . 

While you may trivialize the point I am making as me being over zealous and not in tune with the current trends in christian culture, this mode of thinking leads me into the subject of this writing (smoke & mirrors) one of satans best kept secrets;the movie rating system. A diversion from the true purpose of worldly entertainment; to substitute GODLENESS with morality in order to lead Christians into a state of apathy when it comes to honoring GOD as the author of all goodness in man.

What is the first thing we do when it comes to watching a new movie are show? Do we not consult the world (movie rating system) rather than GODS own spirit and word! The worlds rating system only deals with moral issues and not GODLENESS, we allow ourselves to be fooled into thinking it is ok because it is moral. We have become so used to the concept of morality being equated with GODLENESS that we can relax and digest a show called AMERICAN IDOL without the least bit of concern for GODS honor or wrath!! It is like satan himself is flaunting his victory over the lives of the American Christians,he is taking a bow in front of GOD and man for his cleverness .

Let me ask you is it moral to leave GODS longing to commune with us in order to live in a place if for only a few hours,where He is not welcome much less exalted? When are we going to stop letting the world dictate to us what is right and what is wrong? Are we still eating from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil ? There is another tree out there that only the redeemed of the lord have a right to partake, it is the tree of LIFE. Morality could never and will never make us whole, communion with the living GOD is the only true moral high ground.

I know I will take a beating for this one, but just look around and tell me Christians are not full of the world! I know at the work place most professing Christians are looked upon as just regular folk with a religious hang up, and rightly so in a lot of cases. I attribute a lot of this to the complacent attitude of most Christians on this issue of morality being equated with GODLENESS. The longing to be entertained by the world while having very little desire to commune with our heavenly Father is in my estimation the friendship with the world spoken of in James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

I am not crying holier-than- thou because I am as guilty as the worst of us,but this I can attest to, since I resolved to make communing with my heavenly Father the most treasured event of the day, the craving for the worlds pleasures have melted away and HE has become my true entertainment and delight. Delight your self in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Time spent in worldly entertainment is most likely time that belongs to the FATHER. I see and hear Christians every where crying for revival, but as much as I hear the cry,I see no earnest willingness to give up our treasured fun and worldly entertainment for a visit from our FATHER. reason for edit:  added spaces for easier reading                         http://crossconnectfellowship.com/

2012/6/24 17:07Profile
FaithALONE

Re: worldly entertainment (smoke & mirrors)

Can you please break this up? It is very hard to read long, long written pieces like this.

2012/6/24 17:16Profile

Though I like "Faith Like Potatoes" and "Facing the Giants"
I still believe that overall movies are a waste of time. If I go see a movie which is rare anymore I acknowledge that I am wasting my time. Usually after the movie is I have the feeling," yea, that was a waste."

Here is a reading from Tozer on "Beware the Menace of the Religious Movie"

http://media.sermonindex.net/13/SID13785.mp3

EDIT ADD) from Tozer,
"Hollywood and Broadway are two sources of corruption which may yet turn America into a Sodom and lay her glory in the dust."

How prophetic!

2012/6/24 17:40
ritchie

United States

Re:

I some how duplicated a post so i erased this one. sorry

2012/6/24 19:20Profile
ritchie

United States

To brother FaithALONE: sorry about the long article on worldly
entertainment,it is much easier to read on my web site if you
would care to.Not wanting to offend anyone please accept my apology. Here is a link to cross connect fellowship

http://crossconnectfellowship.com/

2012/6/24 19:20Profile
Elibeth

Actually,Richy,

You have spoken a great and welcoming truth.

It reminded me of a time in my life when the Lord spoke to me about a matter,that I will never forget and said,

" The ways of this world are not My ways. "

The Lord bless you with more and more of Himself,

elizabeth

2012/6/24 20:32Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

ritchie,

I appreciate the article...your conclusions are some I am coming to as well.

The basic thing is that much of entertainment is a waste of time. We are called to redeem the time and how does one do it? God was creative during the six days of creation. Since man is made in his image, how can we be creative, bringing honor and glory to our creator? There is great delight and pleasure in being about, create what God is compelling us to do.

Appreciate you sharing....

BTW, welcome to the forum.

ginnyrose

2012/6/24 20:45Profile

Re:

Ritchie, all you have to do is log back in and go to your origianal post. Then hit the edit button and then put your cursor on the place you need to and hit enter to push your sentence down to the next line.

Also when ever you edit a post SI wants you to type edit to show what you changed.

welcome to the forum.

2012/6/24 21:03
ritchie

United States

Re: Thingsabove.. Thanks for reading and sharing!

Always love to hear from A W TOZER, a remarkable man of GOD.Thanks again

2012/6/24 22:50Profile
ritchie

United States

Re: ginnyrose thanks for reading and sharing!!

look forward to sharing with you again!

2012/6/24 22:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy