Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Things to know about Atheists

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Things to know about Atheists

I came across this blog by a former Christian. He tries to detail how a christian should talk to an Atheist. See what you think.

http://brucegerencser.net/2012/06/23/how-to-witness-to-an-atheist

2012/6/23 9:26Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Things to know about Atheists

John,

I have read similar articles elsewhere, all written by atheists. They remind me of what Ravi Zacharias has said,

“Is it possible that somewhere in the deepest recesses of the human heart, we are really not battling intellectual ideas as much we fighting for the right for our own sexual proclivities and our passionate indulgences?” Ravi Zacharias

What do you think, John?

ginnyrose

2012/6/23 16:05Profile

I believe they need prayer and a taste of the Spirit. God can do all things. He can give wisdom for why the amalekites were destroyed for example. I'm not sure if what most people witness in Christians is the Holy Spirit but "dead works".

That seems like the logical explanation. Hence the ministry of sermonindex.net and all the preaching here about the overcoming life of faith and power of the fullness of Christ in us by sanctification. But this comes by single heartedness for Him. At least in my life that seems like how it makes sense.

Noah

Edit: am I wrong to think God wants to save even atheists who were former Christians? To know God is better than anything else and even sin is seen for what it is in the Spirit.

2012/6/23 16:33
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

From the article:
"You might as well face it, if the atheist refuses to accept the Bible as a God inspired authoritative text there is no hope of you successfully witnessing to him. It is better for you to kick the dust off your shoes and go witness to those who accept your presuppositions about God and the Bible.

Atheists are the swine in the don’t cast your pearls before swine Bible verse. Atheists are reprobates whom God has turned over to their evil desires. Atheists are followers of Satan, deaf and blind to your God and the Bible."
====================

I really tend to agree with him. Like he also said: "With so many billions of other people to witness to why bother witnessing to people who have no interest in your message, are likely to make great intellectual demands of you, and are likely not God’s elect? Be a smart fisher-of-men, go where the fish are."

The athesists I have talked to know all the arguments and they have an answer for everything. You have to wash your hands of it and leave them to God.

Some might object to this, saying that atheists are still fish that fishers of men ought to fish for, whether they like it or not. But even Jesus said: “Cast the net on the right side of the boat, and you will find some.”

2012/6/23 18:23Profile
shawnmatthew

Re:

As a former serious atheist... please do not give up on them. They are not beyond God's redemptive hand.

2012/6/23 21:46Profile

Re:

Quote:
As a former serious atheist... please do not give up on them. They are not beyond God's redemptive hand.

Awesome!

If you have time, I'd really like to hear your testimony. If you don't feel like putting it down publicly, could you contact me by email (it's in my profile)? I'm quite curious to hear it.

2012/6/23 22:19

Re:

Was not Art Katz an athiest before he converted to Christ?

Bearmaster.

2012/6/23 22:24
Trekker

northern USA

In college for a very short time i became an atheist alternating with agnostic. Atheists are often very bitter or angry towards God. I myself felt abandoned by God and was very angry towards Him so it just became easier and more comforting to simply deny His existence than to deal with the constant anger and feelings of abandonment. And like all atheists i used the defense of intellectualism to support my "theory". But God used a TREE, a beautiful, soliatary maple tree outside my dorm window that changed the most beautiful, lovely colors every fall, to crumble my atheism. I mean, of all the trees i have ever seen anywhere in the fall, there just seemed to be no tree anywhere that had such brilliant colors as this one. It was like a flaming sword that stood all by itself, and behind it was a whole forest of deciduous trees that never had any hues/colors as brilliant as this one. I don't think i will ever forget that tree as long as i live. He also used a dear little child that i babysat with and whom i became very attached to.These two things He used to tender my heart.

2012/6/23 23:34Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

[quote}
by Trekker on 2012/6/23 20:34:24

In college for a very short time i became an atheist alternating with agnostic. Atheists are often very bitter or angry towards God. I myself felt abandoned by God and was very angry towards Him so it just became easier and more comforting to simply deny His existence than to deal with the constant anger and feelings of abandonment. And like all atheists i used the defense of intellectualism to support my "theory". But God used a TREE, a beautiful, soliatary maple tree outside my dorm window that changed the most beautiful, lovely colors every fall, to crumble my atheism. I mean, of all the trees i have ever seen anywhere in the fall, there just seemed to be no tree anywhere that had such brilliant colors as this one. It was like a flaming sword that stood all by itself, and behind it was a whole forest of deciduous trees that never had any hues/colors as brilliant as this one. I don't think i will ever forget that tree as long as i live. He also used a dear little child that i babysat with and whom i became very attached to.These two things He used to tender my heart.

I hear you. With the many arguments I hear from atheists, I stop and ask myself, could I ever not believe in God or just simply not know if God exists? I always come back to morality in general plus the world around us and how everything seems to fit together like a in nature. From the food we eat to the food chain of animals to our body structure. It just seems the simple things in life can be overcomplicated by what we think is rational thought.

My only major problem is separating Christians from God because I have a very hard time noticing the power of GOd in people and as a result I ask myself 'Is God there?'. Hence the reason why sometimes I have wondered if I am a Deist or go back and forth between that and a Personal Jesus.

2012/6/24 13:04Profile
learn

Re:

My 2 cents

Just because someone is difficult to save, doesn't mean that he cannot be saved or that God does not specifically want him to be saved. Also, I don't believe and would never dare to say that to God's face its a good arguement to say just because its so tough that we should focus on others. Its really up to God to decide.

Also, as the aethiest has said, there are some that know more bible than many Christians. I can attest to this because over the years on and off, I've read testimonies and posts of different ex-Christians (some who are now aethiests or other religions) and some really know their bible stuff. Also, some have really seemingly experienced 'God's touch' just like what some in this site have talked about and we all praised. So do not discount just because they are currently not in the same boat as what we feel are real Christians, they have never experienced or gone through or struggled a lot with living the Christian life for years. It takes an open heart, a lot of exposure to them to really understand how some feel. Even then, each will feel differently.

2012/6/24 14:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy