SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Hearing from the lord.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Greenlea

Hearing from the lord.

I need some advice. Some of the young people in our congregation have began to start saying that god has told them who their husband or wife will be. They will often go to the person who they claim will be their spouse and tell them which put the person in a difficult position.
Do they agree with them even though they have heard nothing or do they tell the offending person that they don't believe them. When some say they do not agree the person who "had the word" will become offended or just say that God will speak to them or that they are not listening.
I'm not saying that God will not speak someone about who their spouse will be, but it seem these young people are doing this far to often.
What has happened a few times in the past is that someone will say that - for instance - " God showed me that John will be my husband" . A few months later they will hear that John is courting Susan so they will then say " I missed God on that". A couple of months later they will say Gary is to be my husband. Sometimes it is two people at one time who say that one certain person is to be their spouse.

The leadership is somewhat aware is this (not every case) but I don't know if is has ever been addressed.

Has any had this to happen in their congregation? Any advice.

2012/6/10 13:17Profile

Re: Hearing from the lord.

If they want Biblical examples of God specifically telling someone to marry a certain person, the only one I can think of is Hosea...

And if that's the example they want to follow, then........

2012/6/10 13:23

George mueller was a man of great faith. He never told a living soul his physical/financial needs but took it to God in prayer and God would provide.
A rule that George put forth was that if he relied on the Spirit alone without it being confirmed by the scriptures he opened himself up to great deception. I think these youngins are opening themselves up to deception.

Paul the apostle in 1 corithians explains that prophets are to declare what God has given them to the body and then let the other prophets judge it.

Thes practices that you explained are people acting in there own fleshly mind of what they want God to say.
When they then say I missed God on that well let them be reminded of this scripture

De 18:22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

They should keep silent if they think the Lord has told them this. if it is true then there are better ways to go about this whole thing.

2012/6/10 13:31

Quote:
If they want Biblical examples of God specifically telling someone to marry a certain person, the only one I can think of is Hosea...

And if that's the example they want to follow, then....(EverestOsama

Thats very funny. It would certainly encourage the young brethren in question to think more carefully about exercising their spirit of discernment!

Quote:
What has happened a few times in the past is that someone will say that - for instance - " God showed me that John will be my husband" . A few months later they will hear that John is courting Susan so they will then say " I missed God on that". A couple of months later they will say Gary is to be my husband. Sometimes it is two people at one time who say that one certain person is to be their spouse....(greenlea)

There is nothing new in this phenomena. In the last 25 years or so it has become more prevalent. I think this may have something to do with exercising a gift which though a true gift isn't really intended to be used in that way. In fact it may not even be thought of in that way. The churches today are so aware of the knowledge of spiritual gifts that the gift itself isn't even sought, but presumed. On the other hand they are young and as with all youth they need to be taught to flee youthful lusts. Desiring a husband or a wife is a lovely thing, but it has to be based on mutual natural affection as well as God's will. If I am not mistaken I was 'caught' by my wife through prayer. I recall at the time how fearful it was to me that these sisters were praying for husbands. The first thought which came into my wife's mind when she met me was "I will never marry him". Three months later we got married. I didn't even desire a wife at all. Is there wisdom of God in it. Yes..my wife got her man and I go tied down!.

Encourage these young brethren to speak to God and not one another except by way of normal affection.

2012/6/10 13:48
lindi1208

Re: Hearing from God

Quote:

And if that's the example they want to follow, then....(EverestOsama

I agree with armkelly that is very funny couldn't stop chuckling when I read that comment lol : ). I think it's true that one opens a doorway to deception if they are not prayerful! One example of someone who said God told them who their spouse is, is BH who is now divorced as of 2010. He often says God told him he should marry SH, who pertitioned for a divorce some 20 so
Ething years after marriage sighting an unbiblical reason of irreconcilable differences. Prayerfulness and abiding in the word being led by the spirit is the answer. Are these young people grounded and rooted in the word? If they are they will not be carried away to and fro by every wind of doctrine but will trust God's perfect timing for their spouse.

That said I believe it will also be unwise to say God does not speak to someone who they should marry. God is sovereign so at times He will minister to two individuals who their spouse is but I believe it would be simultaneous and both individuals would be prayerful and spirit led believers wholly devoted to abiding in the word.!

2012/6/10 14:24Profile

One of the best things that Watchman Nee taught was "waiting on The LORD to prove that what you think you've gotten from The LORD is really from Him."

People don't seem to teach vs 21 of these three anymore -

1Th 5:19 Do not quench the Spirit.
1Th 5:20 Do not despise prophecies.
*1Th 5:21 TEST ALL THINGS, hold fast the good.

Not "testing all things" is also another form of "quenching the Spirit".

What Nee said is so true. One should know that GOD allows as much time as needed to Prove things out. He's not nervous or in a hurry. Only on very rare occasions does He give a word that needs to be acted on immediately. Like when this guy was driving home from work, down his dirt road and the LORD very strongly said, "Stop!".
He did and just over the next bump in the road, laid his 3 yr old. He couldn't see him for that bump in the road. The toddler was just laying there, playing.
Best to just keep quiet and pray - asking The LORD to give a number of confirmations. Especially when it comes to marriage. If these kids don't learn that Satan is a master counterfeiter of "GOD's Voice", they'll sadly learn the hard way. He also super-specializes in that 1 to 2% error mixed in with truth.

Amen, EverestoSama - some don't find out until after they're married - what they married.
Oh my!

2012/6/10 16:26

I've had this happen to me years ago. This Sister whom I loved as a friend only, told everyone in the Church but me that she and I were to be married. I got the second hand news from other people and told them I have no idea what they were talking about. Finally confronting the Sister she was quite adamant, she was convinced that God had put us together. Up until that time we had great fellowship and it was great that God had given me a friend, after this ordeal it turned sour. It was difficult to shake her off, I mean it took a lot of energy to the place that I had no choice but to be carnal. I had absolutely no affections for her as a wife, she was not my type for one thing, but the dear soul was misled by a spiritual person to make her think that God spoke in such a manner through a word of knowledge. She cut all ties with me and I haven't seen her in years.

The word of knowledge she received was from God, the problem arose when trying to interpret to mean something else. There was no hint of it being a husband, but the person that told her, whom she respected, said that "it could be interpreted that way". She ran with that information to mean a husband, when in fact, all it was that a person would enter her life to be a friend.

She was a good friend. I miss our short lived friendship.

2012/6/10 16:50

Quote:
When the Lord first spoke through Hosea, the Lord said to Hosea, Go, take to yourself a wife of harlotry and have children of harlotry; for the land commits flagrant harlotry, forsaking the Lord.

I rather think that Hosea knew who he was marrying and in any case he was commanded to it. This, because he was a prophet. In keeping with all prophets, their own actions and life styles were part of their witness. No matter how it may be understood by some who imagine they are able to judge these things, prophets are commanded to obedience and find it difficult to resist, which to them would be disobedience.

To fill up what I shared earlier for greanlea. My wife Helen was not one of the sisters praying for a husband she refused to participate in that agreement; rather she regarded it to be foolish. She in fact like myself was not thinking of marriage at all. Nevertheless we did marry and we did so out of a natural affection and in obedience to God's will. Why she had the thought about not marrying myself when she wasn't even thinking about it only makes sense to her.

The being "tied down" is a reference to an instrument of responsibility, namely marriage and the resultant children, one of whom in my case has cerebral palsy. We have been married for 28 years and remain so. Words can mean many things but discernment is a different matter. You understand. Given the extraordinary assault which is taking place against marriage to day in the church, young people who are free to marry should have a sound foundation for doing so. Firstly genuine love and affection, secondly God's blessing. The commandment to marry is given by an act of God creating a women from a man and giving the woman to the man for life. However, it doesn't do to be too harsh or legalistic with young people when helping them to be wise in the way they go about that choosing of their own which is of itself obedience.

My wife was hated when we announced our intentions by the very sisters who were praying for husbands. I too was hated by the sister my wife lodged with. This sister was one of the three who were praying as well. Believing that something is of God may be foolish if it clearly is not the case. This must be true in most instances of a man and a woman expressing their interest in one another through words of knowledge or claims that "God has said" or "God has shown". Nothing strange about a boy hoping for something and then asking God and believing in hope that it is true. After all who led the boy to think in that way in the first instance. Similarly in the case of a girl.

The instruction about the "stop" for the dad who was about to run over his own child is wonderful. If only obedience in all things were that simple!

Here is my wife's e-mail address if anyone has the courage to ask her. [email protected]

2012/6/10 18:08
jimp

Re:

hi, i had an experience that involved the gift of the words of knowlege.i remet a woman in church that was so fine i fell in love with her ,head over heels... we went to church together and to the symphony and opera and people would ask if she was a movie star. one of my dear friends sas dating zsa zsa gabor at the time and my barbara out glitched zsa zsa. i went to my pastor who was one of the great preachers on the earth and asked him for counsel . after a week or so he called me into his office and told me 5 reasons not to stay involved with barbara .God had shown him what she would do after we married. of course i married her and she immediately changed and went through the five things that wes had told me she would do. a year later, she told me she fell in love with our handy man and wanted me to leave.thank God. for she stopped going to church, tried to kill me etc. i have not seen her since but pray for her on a regular basis.jimp

2012/6/10 18:12Profile

Re:

Quote:
If these kids don't learn that Satan is a master counterfeiter of "GOD's Voice", they'll sadly learn the hard way. He also super-specializes in that 1 to 2% error mixed in with truth.

EXACTLY. This should be said to all young people in the church.

2012/6/11 0:07

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy