SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Do you know of famous single Christians?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
Paul the Apostle, Jesus Christ...

Most theologians agree he was unmarried during his ministry, however there are indications that he was married previously. Speculation by many theologians is that he may have been a widower.

Point is, I dont think we can lump Paul in with "single" as in never having been married.

Krispy

2012/5/4 9:20
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Most theologians agree he was unmarried during his ministry, however there are indications that he was married previously. Speculation by many theologians is that he may have been a widower.

Really? What would the indications be?

2012/5/4 9:31Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

I was going to say...
There is also speculation that Mary Magdalene married Jesus Himself!!

Oh my..
1Ti_1:4 Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.

2012/5/4 9:36Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Brother Paul, I think the reason that people theorize that he may have been married at one point has to do with the rules of being part of the Sanhedrin. I have heard people say, though I have yet to read this in documented form, so I am not liking repeating it, that in order to possess the position he did, he would have had to be married.

2012/5/4 9:40Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

I think I was very near to rebuking you Krispy.

Please forgive me!
Blessings to you

2012/5/4 10:11Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
I think the reason that people theorize that he may have been married at one point has to do with the rules of being part of the Sanhedrin.

I see. Thanks! I wonder if he actually was a member of the Sanhedrin, or if being married was even a requirement to be a part of this group. Apparently, if you trust the differing "factoids" on the internet, these things are inconclusive as well. It's amazing what an ignoramus such as myself can conjure up through Google.

Anyhow, interesting stuff. I guess anything can be contested these days, especially if it challenges sacrosanct conviction.

2012/5/4 10:32Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

The Apostle Paul never missed a chance to use real life events that he had as object lessons. It is hard to believe that he never referred to one of the most important times in his life (married to a woman, death of a wife), in any of his writings. Such is the life of a Theologian. I too wonder how the Theologians extrapolate that understanding.

Pilgrim

I would rather be well-known to God than famous to men.

2012/5/4 11:02Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

"Anyhow, interesting stuff. I guess anything can be contested these days, especially if it challenges sacrosanct conviction"

...which is why I did not really want to repeat it, but I guess sometimes it is good to understand why people say things, and that there is a "Method to the Madness," as it were.

At the very best this can only go into the "Speculations that will not make it very far" pile. The Holy Spirit did not see fit to comment or give us full profiles of the Apostles and their personal lives.

2012/5/4 11:14Profile

Re:

Quote:
I think I was very near to rebuking you Krispy.

I often need it! ...lol

Krispy

2012/5/4 12:59
ArtB

New York

Re:

Yes, Paul was not married during his entire ministry of preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ. However, Before his ministry to gospel of Jesus Christ, Paul was a member of the Sanhedrin, and to be a member of the Sanhedrin, one is required to be married. I seriously doubt the Sanhedrin made an exception for Paul.

All the other Apostles were married. Jesus brothers were married, and most likely so was His sisters. Jesus never married, but He does have plans for marriage, and it involves us. He is the groom, we are the bride.

I see no added virtue that unmarried Christians have over married Christians. If any Christians choose not to marry, I wish them the well with their choice, but I do not see it as being more superior life choice than being Married, and with Children.

The other 12 Apostles were all married. Are they less Christian or lesser Apostles than Paul.

Jesus siblings, His brothers, and presumably Jesus sisters, born to Joseph and Mary, married.

In 1 Corinthians. Paul's first letter, Paul believed that the Great tribulation was imminent.

Paul's advice to not marry was predicated on the fact: that since the great tribulation was at hand, it would be very painful to see one's children and spouses suffer with a cruel death under the anti-Christ. And Paul made it clear that this was not from God, but his own opionion and concern.

Apparently, his 'time table' was off, as can be seen by the fact that the Great tribulation has not yet come. And it does seem that it may be very near, and may very well happen in our time. It sure looks like that way to me.

2012/5/11 10:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy