SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Here's a conversation I had with a "Christian" regarding Blasphemy

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:

The commandment is do not take the NAME of the Lord in vain. Yes, He is our Lord and our God, but that isn't His name.

I'm not sure I would concur with this. God and Lord are certainly attributes, but we have this passage from Psalm 22 quoted by Jesus:

My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring? (Psalm 22:1)

Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? Clearly Jesus was calling out to a person and not just to an attribute. He is using 'Eli' in the singular, which would come over as God in English.

2012/4/29 16:30Profile
Lovefirst

Lake Charles, LA

Re:

Awesome! and very true. May I ask this one thing? Did Jesus ever refer to His Father as Eli before this in the Gospels?

2012/4/29 16:48Profile
roadsign

Re:

What does it mean to take a name? Consider a wife who takes a man's name in a marriage covenant. what does taking that name imply? How might having that name for herself become "in vain"?

How might God's chosen people, Israel, have taken his name in vain? In other words, how might they have called themselves by his name, as his people, and it become in vain - that is, of no use?

What about today? Who are the ones who take God's name in vain? Is it not all professing CHRIST-ians who are not actually his through the new covenant relationship. Their self designated label in vain. They have a form of godliness but not its power. They do not abide by the first two commandments: love God with all their heart, mind, and strength but have put their trust elsewhere: idols. Christ is not their spiritual "husband" and thus they do not enjoy the privileges associated with that relationship: the Spirit, protection, provision, etc.

Diane

2012/4/29 17:01Profile

Re:

1Co 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

Also the original track of the first post should be kept in mind.

Edit Add... i notice alot of christian using words like HolyCrap and "that Sucks"
I will sometimes ask what the first looks like and then also ask if they understand the original wording of sucks

2012/4/29 17:15
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Lovefirst's: May I ask this one thing? Did Jesus ever refer to His Father as Eli before this in the Gospels?

The more common term given that the lingua franca of the times was Greek, was Theos (Θεοῦ).

But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God (Θεοῦ). (Matthew 4:4)

This is the first use of Theos by Christ in Matthew. We have another verse where the use of Theos (God) as His Father.

Jesus said unto them, If God (Theos) were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God (Theos); neither came I of myself, but he sent me. (John 8:47)

Hope that helps. :-)

2012/4/29 17:57Profile
Lovefirst

Lake Charles, LA

Re:

Quote:
The more common term given that the lingua franca of the times was Greek, was Theos (Θεοῦ).

But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God (Θεοῦ). (Matthew 4:4)

This is the first use of Theos by Christ in Matthew. We have another verse where the use of Theos (God) as His Father.

Jesus said unto them, If God (Theos) were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God (Theos); neither came I of myself, but he sent me. (John 8:47)

Hope that helps. :-)

This is very helpful indeed. Thanks!

2012/4/29 18:03Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy