SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Hear this, all ye self-righteous, tremble, and behold your doom!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
pilgrim777

Re:

That is true Oracio. One of the biggest rebukes ever was Paul rebuking Peter in Galatia and I think the emotion that was most prevalent with Paul was righteous anger and not crying.

Pilgrim

2012/5/4 12:30Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

At the risk of sounding tedious here, I just want to say that Paul rebuking Peter was not evangelism, and many things Paul did and said are dangerous to follow without discernment and God's authority. This is true for Peter's case as well. You can stand on a soap box in downtown Jerusalem and quote verbatim Peter's sermon in Acts 2 but I seriously doubt you will get the same result. Quoting and doing what other ministers have done in the past is not always sanctioned by God, nor is it wise. I hope we can all agree on this.

The Lord looks upon the heart, and not at physical tears, I understand this well. What I am simply trying to say is that if the fallow ground is not first broken-up over the condition of the lost in private, you really have no business standing on a soap box and rebuking them in public. You can disagree with this, but in reality God will lend no authority to your evangelism, even if you see yourself as quintessentially obedient to God and trying mimic Whitefield's fiery rebukes to a tee.

I'm sure we can all agree with this, and this was all I was trying to say in the beginning of this thread. I have open-air preached myself, and suffered ridicule for the gospel, so I know what it's about. Though salvation is free, you have to earn the right to carry the anointing in your ministry - and obedience to God is but the doorway for the privilege to anguish over the lost. Whitefield had the latter because, of course, he first had the former, but there are many with the former who do not have the latter. If you listen to their open-air preaching for a few moments, you can usually tell.

Hope I've made myself more clear. God bless you all!

Brother Paul

2012/5/4 13:13Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

amen pilgrim777 and brother Paul.

2012/5/4 13:25Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

So often in these forums people are saying the same things, just in different written dialects. It's so very easy to be misunderstood. Whenever this happens, I like to pause for a moment and consider that perhaps the cause is my own. Everyone who has contributed to this discussion is someone I respect and hold as a friend and fellow brother. If a misunderstanding arises, I want to be the first to show culpability through my own communication.

So, dear brothers like Jim, Oracio and learjet, please forgive me if my initial post was confusing and misleading to the point I've been trying to make. I hold all you guys with respect and unfeigned Christian fondness. It's great when we can all unanimously agree on points that are mutually understood. If my tenor seemed unrelenting in this thread, it was only because I sought such a reconciliation.

May God give me more wisdom in this area. I wish you all a wonderfully blessed weekend in the Lord Jesus.

Brother Paul

2012/5/4 17:35Profile
staff

Re:

Hi All,
I think as well I would have to see the whole sermon not just the small section.I would put myself in as self righteous etc but for the grace of Christ.We also dont know the group of people he was speaking to,perhaps the next day he spoke to another group of people with a different evangelistic message that was not as strong,
Yours Staff

2012/5/4 17:44Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Amen brother Paul. Wishing you a blessed weekend in the Lord also.
Oracio

2012/5/4 17:45Profile

Re:

you know what i just love?....when dear brothers, even through the difficult medium of the internet, just cast all pride and human stuff aside, and from great distances, make peace, reason and love one another in Jesus' love.

thats the font of such great joy to me in dark times, you have no idea, how much joy it brings my heart, Blessings and grace to you all, neil

2012/5/4 18:15

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy