SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Hear this, all ye self-righteous, tremble, and behold your doom!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

"This message will not get you firmly ensconced on the preaching circuit."

God bless you brother Earl, what you have said is true. I remember seeing a picture of Whitefield preaching and people were so angry and trying to hurt him. I guess maybe he hadn't cried enough when preaching that day in some peoples opinions. Edwards on the other hand appears to have preached sinners in the hands in a monotone voice. God knows the heart, men often judge by appearance and with prejudice.

in Christ -jim

2012/4/29 11:36
learjet

Re:

I'm sorry for not making my earlier post more clear, I love everything about the life of George Whitfield. Honesty, I recommend books about his life more than any other.

I love the sprit in which he lived and preached, awesome indeed.

My point was that I don't think that there is any less compassion should there not be any tears. However, I do know dry angry preaching and would agree with all of you.

There is a very powerful message on here by David Wilkerson (Another Gospel), he's not preaching it in tears, yet it is straight from the heart of the Lord and is ultimately motivated by compassion.

Sorry for not communicating better earlier! :-)

2012/4/29 12:05Profile

Re:

I got what you were saying Earl. God bless. See you soon?

2012/4/29 14:41

Re:

"I guess maybe he hadn't cried enough when preaching that day in some peoples opinions."

What I wrote has troubled me thinking that it could be taken as an attack on brother Paul West. I do not mean it that way and I am so sorry if it sounded snarky. You have been a consistent witness of grace and humility without compromise for many years brother Paul. I am sorry for hastily writing that brother. I have nothing but admiration for your christian character, and the good influence you have been on many a young zealouts to come through the forum over the years including me.

God bless you in Christ Jesus. -jim

2012/4/30 22:30
Compton

Re:

Jim,

Nicely said. I appreciate your thoughtfulness in coming back to this thread in order to safe guard the fellowship here in the forum. And I share your high regard for Paul!

Words like you've taken the time to offer here set the tone in the forum.

Bless you!

MC

2012/5/1 1:18Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Dear Jim,

You're a precious brother and a friend and I love you in Christ. I pray that God bring you into His absolute best for your life. Thank you for taking the time to write such kind words to me. It really means a lot.

Your brother,

Paul

2012/5/4 1:22Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

learjet wrote, "Whether brother Whitfield preached this with tears in his eyes or with a straight face in no way lessens the power of the message....We don't hear of John the Baptist's tears, yet Jesus said that there was not a man who had walked the Earth that was greater than him. Tears do not make us great, obedience does. Tears did no make George Whitfield, obedience did."

Amen learjet. I have read much of Whitefield, including a few biographies of him, and I do recall reading that He was full of compassion and literally in tears at times. But to assert that every single message of his was preached in tears I think is saying more than what history says. We can make the same mistake in adding things to Scripture that are not really there.

We read that Jesus wept, and that He was full of compassion and a Man of sorrows. But to assume that He preached every single message in tears would be to assume too much beyond what is actually written imho.

There was clearly a tone of very sharp rebuke in much of Whitefield's preaching, the type of rebuke that is seldom heard from today's compromised and apostate pulpits.

All that said, I agree with brother Paul West to a certain extent, in that preachers or evangelists need to make sure they are of the right spirit when preaching.

Appreciate the OP jimdied2sin. Great reminder to all of us to examine ourselves. And a good example of the kind of preaching there needs to be more of these days, with or without tears, as long as it is Spirit-led ;)

2012/5/4 2:28Profile
docseth1

Valdosta, Ga

Re:

You are absolutely right bro. Paul! The preacher that can preach against the sins of a people, yet never weep over those same people, does not have God's heart. If we don't have His heart, all is in vain.

2012/5/4 8:46Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
to assert that every single message of his was preached in tears I think is saying more than what history says. We can make the same mistake in adding things to Scripture that are not really there.

Just for the record, it was never asserted that "every single message" Whitefield preached was in tears. The focus was the spirit behind the particular exhortation in the original post.

That said, I am total agreement with you about the error of "adding" things ;) I've been guilty of this many times.

Brother Paul

2012/5/4 9:38Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

(quote)Just for the record, it was never asserted that "every single message" Whitefield preached was in tears. The focus was the spirit behind the particular exhortation in the original post.(quote)

I apologize for the misunderstanding or misrepresentation. I still stand by my view that not every message of rebuke need be preached in tears. There is not proof for the assertion that every message of rebuke from Whitfield, including particularly the one in the original post, was preached in tears, or that he shed tears in preparation for it. Tears may or may not be present. We are not to base any of our endeavors on emotions which can ebb and flow, but as learjet pointed out, on obedience to Jesus Christ.

My concern is that sometimes in our zeal for love and grace we downplay the need for exhortation or rebuke and discourage others from delivering such types of messages, unless done in tears. We have been over-fed messages on grace and love to the extent that messages of rebuke and exhortation seem too odd to us. But such types of messages are throughout the Bible, including after Pentecost. Clearly there is a place for rebuking and exhorting as Scripture clearly shows(Titus 2:15), with or without tears.

brother Paul, I do not mean to be divisive or contentious here. I was simply concerned about your post following the OP. It just seemed to downplay the plain reading and thrust of the original post.
For the record, I too have always respected you and have been encouraged many a time by your sound and wise counsel in many areas. On this we may have to agree to disagree brother, but that's okay. Again, my apologies for any misrepresentation.
Oracio

2012/5/4 10:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy