SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Sinning to Meet Needs

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
Trekker

northern USA

Sinning to Meet Needs

Quite obviously God does NOT meet all our needs, despite Christian songs to the contrary. So, this got me thinking, when God fails to meet a man's needs, and the man then sins in order to meet that need on his own, why does God still find fault? Why does He still call it sin? I've been turning this question over and over in my mind trying to come to an answer. Does anyone know?

For example....

A woman enters into fornication to meet her need for intimacy, touch, and affection. She expected and asked God to meet it but He didn't. No one else is being hurt by what she and her boyfriend are doing.

A jobless man steals to meet his need for money to pay his bills, support his family. He expected God to meet his need for a job but yet he remained jobless. In this case, someone is probably being hurt by the man's theft, but not as much as the man doing the stealing, since he is much more poor than they.

Another man can't sleep because of terrible pain in his broken body, so he drinks himself into a stupor every night in order to both escape some of the pain, to relax, and to knock himself out if possible. Or perhaps he steals drugs or deals in street drugs in order to achieve this. He begged God to take away his pain, but He didn't. If the man lives alone, no one else is suffering because of his drunkenness.
If he has a family, then someone is being hurt by it. But again, God could have met his need for healing but chose not to.

There are probably many more such examples of valid needs and ways to meet them. The persons may or may not be Christians. If it makes a difference, let's pretend they are.

I've never heard any theology on this question. What say ye?

2012/4/25 8:26Profile

Re: Sinning to Meet Needs

Remember Balaam? He asks God if he should go with king to curse Israel and God says, no! Then the king comes back with a much more generous offer and Balaam goes again to the Lord and asks again, basically saying, "Are you sure you don't want me to go?" So the Lord says, "Go". So he goes and then God convicts him for going, well you know the story.

Remember Israel who craved for KFC in the wilderness? They whined and they pined and God gave it to them but as soon as they were stuffed to the gills, literally, God killed the a great many of them.

Galatians 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

The reason why God finds fault is because of the established laws that are set in this universe that can't be altered.

God may allow a man to steal to feed his family, but God is not mocked.

2012/4/25 9:49
hmmhmm

Sweden

We need to define "need"... If need is what the "self" wants or wills God makes no promise to meet such needs, the needs he said he will meet are those that are good, as for the woman God may chose not to grant her her wish for intamacy for NOW because he knows it is His perfect plan she will get this maybe 2 years down the road. God also says he will meet our needs, but not always when we desire God to meet them, my own experience is God waits many times to the very last moment, often when i have given up and are completely broken and his answer breaks through as a warm sunray on a cloudy day.

Also we need to consider the men and women in Hebrews 11, that was sawn asunder etc. These men and women where just as full of faith as those that concured kingdoms and brought back people from the dead.

One person may get their needs and wants fulfilled, maybe get a God spuse, many children while others may long for this and God still reject them this "good" since he has a better plan.

Gods way is always the best, wheter it is with a loving family and spouse or alone and in pain and suffering.

When we come to the place where God can have our absolute surrender it will all be good, and we will learn to rejoice even when he denies us a "good" for his perfect best.

hope that makes some sense.

brother christian

2012/4/25 9:58Profile

This is, quite frankly, an assault on God's Character/Nature. God ALWAYS meets our needs as true believers in Christ Jesus. Numerous scriptures to support this fact. One question is, what do WE define as need and what does God know as a need vs a desire? A girl commits fornication because she NEEDS to? Doesn't sound like she's trusting God for His timing in a husband!! A man steals because God isn't supplying his needs? David said, " I've never seen the righteous forsaken nor his seed begging bread" & if we truly believe "He is, & that He is a rewarded of them that diligently seek Him", then if he sees fit to take us home - praise God, He is good. Your examples remind me of the parable of the talents and the one who hid it and said "I knew you to be a hard man who harvests where you have not sown." the master says, "you wicked & lazy servant!" What if the 3 Hebrew boys in the fire used your logic? They said, "Our God is able to deliver us, BUT EVEN IF HE DOESN'T, we may burn, but we will never bow!" that's the heart of one who truly understands total human depravity, God's amazing grace and will, & the call to "take up your cross, deny yourself, & follow" Christ!!

2012/4/25 10:06
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

more thoughts, especially in our day of age, when we have been so sheltered from Death and suffering, our entire society and life is constructed to shelter and protect us from this, i believe many medicines and doctors wisdom are a gift from the Lord. But i have a suspicion that we by our culture and worldview that has been imprinted in us from birth has made us shun suffering so much.

I remember one brother once said when asked a question, i do not remember the question exactly but the background was there was very little money, or none, and no food. And in the area they lived it was a poor one and many stole so if i dont remember totally wrong he was asked why he could not do this or that to make money, all suggestions implied transgressing Gods commands in one area or another.

and he replied "it is better to die hungry and please God then break Gods heart and live in prosperity" and should not this be our hearts? id rather die then fail Christ? was not Jesus heart in similar manner? how did Jesus trust God? and he died forsaken by God on a cross without ever having broken Gods law even once, how come we expect more then Christ?

These are things worthy of meditation, and deep subjects to speak about. I speak not as one that in any way has arrived but as one seeking to enter in.

Just some more thoughts... from brother C

2012/4/25 10:09Profile

Re:

Read the recent thread entitled "When All means fail" by David Wilkerson. He wrote it just hours before his death. He does a much better job explaining that "faith is the evidence of things not seen,,,,hoped for..." than I ever can. It addresses some of your questions and the heart of God's people in the face of such situations

2012/4/25 10:16
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

I say AMEN to all the replies so far.

But I have one question to ask the original poster and this deals with pain.

Do you suppose the pain Jesus experienced upon the cross was any less then what one experiences in life? Did Jesus allow himself to be brought into a stupor to tolerant it?

Something I thought of when I read the OP...

2012/4/25 10:16Profile

Matt 12:3-4 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him; How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?

Sin is a transgression of the law, David transgressed the law to meet his need for food, HOWEVER it was under the higher law of faith. For whatsoever is not of faith is sin, and in this case along with many other, the higher law of faith cancels the law of sin. This is how righteousness is imputed. Just like Abraham who was commended for an act of faith which was attempted murder, or Rahab commended for an act of faith which was lying, and there are many others, in fact many of Heb 11 were people stepping out in faith to do that which
is considered against the law.

These things happen that man ought not think more of himself than he is, and learn that despite his own best efforts he will ALWAYS be in the position of sinner in need of a Saviour.

OJ

2012/4/25 10:17

Re:

Different than fornicating to fulfill personal lustful desire, getting drunk to numb pain, etc. if smuggling Bibles into china or Myanmar and asked at airport security if I have illegal Bibles, I may say "no". That fits your example. Far different than committing fornication, getting drunk on wine not filled with the Spirir, stealing from another, etc. far different

2012/4/25 10:41
pilgrim777

Re:

Is it ok to lie?

I may hide Jews in a secret room in order to protect them and then lie to the authorities that I don't know what they are talking about.

Is it righteous to lie to prevent a horrible atrocity?

Pilgrim

2012/4/25 10:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy