SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Baptist Pastor endorses Govenor Romney despite calling Mormonism a cult

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

In a democratically elected republic, when you vote, you are casting your vote for the person you believe will best represent you. Voting for them doesn't mean you endorse everything that person is about. It just means of the candidates you have to choose from, you are electing the one whose vote would more likely represent what you'd vote for if given the option. That may be Romney, or that may be Obama. There is no compromise in this. It's just you saying "Well, if these are my only options... I pick that guy over there."

2012/4/20 22:52Profile
rbanks

Re:

If you don't vote for either one does that mean you don't care who gets in and then the one who does get in actually got a vote from you because you didn't vote against him.

Just wondering...blessings from brother rbanks

2012/4/20 23:01Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Some people fool themselves into thinking because they didn't vote they somehow are not participating. Unfortunately people don't realize in our system of government is that you are born a participant, whether or not you vote. Our government is of, for, and by the people. In America, you are the government.

2012/4/20 23:16Profile

Re:

"Some people fool themselves into thinking because they didn't vote they somehow are not participating."

Jimmy, if you want to be identified with the system of Governement by virtue of birth and believe that one has to participate in whatever of mans systems they are born into, thats fine, the issue on this thread is what Christians are going to say about Mormonism in the next six months and why.

You might want to start a new thread about why everyone should vote, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on that...............bro Frank

2012/4/20 23:47
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

I am voting. I am voting for my father in law for president. My convictions do not allow me to vote for either of the candidates presented (assuming Romney gets the nod).

2012/4/21 0:47Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Jimmy,

I agree that no one should use the "c" word in regard to your clear conscience in voting. I believe that it is no more "compromise" to choose between two men while voting than it is for choosing between two men to hire. You are simply selecting from a very small pool the person that you think is best for the job at this particular time.

Americans are not selecting a king, an emperor, a savior or even a pastor. They are simply selecting a temporary executive to administer 1/3 of the government (of the people by the people and for the people) for four years.

As for Romney's Mormon religion: From a Christian perspective, Romney's religion is just as corrupt, erroneous and pagan-inspired as the "Church" of Rome. It is just that it will fall under greater scrutiny from many Americans because it represents such a small segment of society. It will likely come under greater scrutiny than Roman pagan tradition...or even the Liberation Theology heresy.

However, as BrotherTom noted, Americans are not choosing a pastor, a Sunday School teacher, a Church elder or any other "spiritual" position. Americans are simply selecting a person to fill a role for four years. Yes, that role is extremely important in terms of the direction of the nation given the power of the position at this particular time in history.

America is not an empire and a president is not a king. Some believers feel the liberty to say (via a vote) which candidate that they think will do a better job. No one is "bowing" their knee to Baal (or a man). No one is eating the food of Babylon. No one is assuming that a flawed man will herald a revival -- even if such a man claimed to be a believer. A president is just an American who is chosen by a plurality of votes to fill the four-year role as a Chief Executive.

At the same time, some Americans can feel very strongly when they make such a decision. A friend called me the other day because a vocal homosexual activist was running for the school board in his district. My friend is usually non-political but felt strongly enough about this to exercise his voice via a vote.

I understand that there is some great concern about the dangers of becoming a part of this world's system by voting. However, I think that it is incorrect to assume that true believers who walk with God are in danger of idol worship because they vote.

As said earlier, we often make "secular" choices in life -- including the jobs that we take or the people that we hire. A person reminded me recently that some people take great care and consideration when deciding between babysitter candidates but lament when someone uses similar consideration when it comes to presidential candidates (whose decisions may impact their children more than any babysitter).

Each presidential election season seems to bring out many different types of debate. However, this is SermonIndex. Most of us are quite secure in our love for God and cherish our Savior more than anything. Most of us are hungry for more of Jesus and long to see others become as hungry for an intimate relationship with the Lord as the one that we long for. So, we shouldn't assume the worst in the brethren if they don't "see things" the same as we think we do. I don't have a problem when someone shares their views regarding any such matter. I just like to urge caution before we make "lump" assumptions.

In this case, I don't know any SermonIndex believers who would make excuses for the Mormon cult simply because they may feel that Romney is better for the job. Likewise, I don't think that people would make excuses for the Liberation Theology or Roman Catholic cultish religious systems either. Some of us are very much aware of the pagan teachings found in these sort of organizations. However, like you (Jimmy) said, some of us still feel that we can make a secular choice about a temporary governing executive without being given to such things.

The Lord bless you!

2012/4/21 2:37Profile

Re:

All hijacking attepmts of threads aside with all and various subjects not raised, I wonder what Evangelicalcs will make of Mormonism in the next six months, will it cease to be a cult perhaps in an attempt to pivot from a previously held postion? Only time will tell. The people that have argued strongly for over 30 years, moral majority and so on, have to be in a genuine crisis as the strong postion was always that we must have a strong Christian in the Whitehouse and that this would be the salvation of America........... bro Frank

(deliberately ignoring the straw man " should we vote or not vote and stubbornly sticking to the subject at hand :)

2012/4/21 8:53
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Frank

I was thinking over this topic as well. I wonder if now that Mr. Romney is about to become the opposing candidate how many of those on the right will promote him even though he is a Mormon. I wonder also if Mormonism itself will spill over even more then already has into being classified as a christian church even though it is not. Could this be a first step in the Mormon religion being accepted by evangelicals as a christian church??

You wrote:The people that have argued strongly for over 30 years, moral majority and so on, have to be in a genuine crisis as the strong postion was always that we must have a strong Christian in the Whitehouse and that this would be the salvation of America

I was thinking this same thing, for those who have always believed that America is and was a country based on the christian faith how will they now be able to stand behind a man who clearly believes in an another gospel? It is interesting also that so many who come out against Obama and speak about his lack of christian belief and his ties to the Muslim religion now find themselves having to support a man who openly embraces another JESUS??

I wonder if the debate will move to a more secular area now?? Neither is a christian so unless some do in fact compromise and call Mormonism christian then voting based on faith of the candidate is not an issue...right?

God Bless
mj

2012/4/21 9:13Profile

Re:

Hi Maryjane, it is an interesting topic. Will American Christians accept a man who totaly rejects the Biblical Jesus and denies that Jesus is God? I believe this will be a first and another sign of the direction of the country...........bro Frank

2012/4/21 9:28

Re: he who has ears to hear.

Quote:
America is not an empire

Quote:
No one is eating the food of Babylon.

everyday and in everyway, hear the Words of the LORD:

"And they worshiped the dragon, for he had given his authority to the beast, and they worshiped the beast, saying, “Who is like the beast, and who can fight against it?”

"And the beast was given a mouth uttering haughty and blasphemous words, and it was allowed to exercise authority for forty-two months.

It opened its mouth to utter blasphemies against God, blaspheming His Name and His Dwelling, that is, those who dwell in heaven.

Also it was allowed to make war on the saints and to conquer them. And authority was given it over every tribe and people and language and nation,

and all who dwell on earth will worship it, everyone whose name has not been written before the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who was slain.

If anyone has an ear, let him hear:

Revelations 13:4-9

that is the first 'beast"...then comes the SECOND

"Then I saw another beast rising out of the earth. It had two horns like a lamb and it spoke like a dragon.

It exercises all the authority of the first beast in its presence, and makes the earth and its inhabitants worship the first beast, whose mortal wound was healed. It performs great signs, even making fire come down from heaven to earth in front of people,

and by the signs that it is allowed to work in the presence of the beast it deceives those who dwell on earth, telling them to make an image for the beast that was wounded by the sword and yet lived.

And it was allowed to give breath to the image of the beast, so that the image of the beast might even speak and might cause those who would not worship the image of the beast to be slain.

Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or the forehead,

so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name.

This calls for wisdom: let the one who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man, and his number is 666".

Revelations 13:11-18

forget the 'commentaries'...the 'seminaries'. the 'grayheads' who TELL YOU WHAT TO THINK......EAT THIS WORD, in the Holy Ghost, and pray for wisdom from on High, because in the blink of an eye,. all delusion will be lifted, when you realize to your grief, you live in babylon, WE live in babylon, let not one saint be fooled.

2012/4/21 9:42

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy