SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : President Obama Says Jesus Knew Doubt and Fear...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lamb99

President Obama Says Jesus Knew Doubt and Fear...

(excerpt taken from Townhall.com) ".....During his six-minute speech to about 150 people Wednesday (April 4) in the East Room, Obama referred to the suffering Jesus endured.

"For like us, Jesus knew doubt. Like us, Jesus knew fear," he said.

Describing Christ's prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane, the president said, "He fell to His knees, pleading with His Father, saying, 'If it is possible, may this cup be taken from Me.' And yet, in the end, He confronted His fear with words of humble surrender, saying, 'If it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may Your will be done.'"

Obama added, "We all have experiences that shake our faith. There are times where we have questions for God's plan relative to us, but that's precisely when we should remember Christ's own doubts and eventually His own triumph."

Denny Burk, associate professor of biblical studies at Boyce College in Louisville, Ky., said he appreciates the president's effort to "highlight the courage of Jesus," but that Obama's description of Christ experiencing doubt and fear in ways other human beings do is foreign to Scripture.

Using numerous New Testament passages to explain his position, Burk said, "In the Bible, doubt and fear are sins.

"To say that Jesus had doubts and fears is to make Him into a transgressor," Burk wrote in a commentary on his blog. "But that is not at all the biblical depiction of Jesus. Yes, Jesus can sympathize with all of our weaknesses and, yes, was tempted in all things as we are. But He did it without sin!"

Despite His suffering, Jesus "never doubted His Father, and never feared man," Burk said.

Christ knew in advance the physical pain He would undergo, the forsakenness by friends He would experience and the wrath of God He would bear by dying on a cross in the place of sinners, Burk said. Yet, He "was motivated by joy to endure the cross," Burk wrote, citing Hebrews 12:2.

"Jesus saw right through the cross to the resurrection on the other side," he said. "You and I may fear death, but Jesus never did. You and I may doubt God's purposes in suffering, but Jesus never did. Ever! What was definitive for Jesus was the joy set before Him, not death."

Burk wrote, "The model that Jesus gives us is not that He had doubts and fears like we do. The model that He gives us is perfection."

Thoughts? Comments? I'm too new to Bible study and being Christian to have a sound commentary on this, but it interested me and even concerned me that it would be interpreted that Jesus had doubts and fears. I'd like to read what others have to say on this matter.

2012/4/6 13:54Profile

Re: President Obama Says Jesus Knew Doubt and Fear...

Hmmm... where to begin... I do not agreee with Burk. I also do not agree with the context in which Obama was trying to force his point.

So they are both skewed in their thinking.

Since Obama is not even a Christian it is impossible for him to discern spiritual things from the Word of God, therefore I automatically dismiss anything he has to say on the matter anyway.

Krispy

2012/4/6 14:03

I have to concur with my colleague, I too disagree with Burk.

2012/4/6 14:07
Sree

Re:

Quote:

Since Obama is not even a Christian it is impossible for him to discern spiritual things from the Word of God, therefore I automatically dismiss anything he has to say on the matter anyway.

Absolutely, why should we then even be worried about what he has commented on Jesus and have a discussion on this. I am not even expecting him to understand the Cup that bothered Jesus. No way he can get a revelation on this.

2012/4/6 14:14Profile
gators52

Central Florida

Re:

And what is it that KK and approved disagree with Burk on?

2012/4/6 14:21Profile

Re:

I am praying for the President's salvation? Would anyone like to pray in agreement he find Jesus?

Now next question. Is Mit Romney a believer in Jesus Christ? Does anyone believe he needs salvation?

Bearmaster standing down.

2012/4/6 14:35

Re:

Well I can't speak for Steven Gator, but Jesus was not only God but He was fully man born of a woman. The prayer that He prayed in His passion in Mark 14:35 And He went forward a little, and fell on the ground, and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from Him.

The part that was so fearful is not the pain that He was going to endure or the crown of thorns and the railings and mockings, that is what Paul says, "light afflictions". The fear was the separation that He had to endure apart from the Father by becoming 'sin' for us in our stead, thus fulfilling the prophecy of Isaiah which reads, Isaiah 59:2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.

This is what He petitioned God for but at the same time He knew that it was for this hour that He came to fulfill. There was definitely a fear there. Burk is wrong in saying that fear is sin and doubt. Perhaps in some instances, but to say that if a man has fear doesn't mean that he has sin. For the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. Even though I am afraid, at the same time I am willing to be made willing to do whatever it is that He desires for me to do.

2012/4/6 14:51

Re:

Quote:
I am praying for the President's salvation? Would anyone like to pray in agreement he find Jesus?

Now next question. Is Mit Romney a believer in Jesus Christ? Does anyone believe he needs salvation?

Just because I made the statement that I did you choose to draw the conclusion that I do not pray (i.e. do not care) for his salvation? Thats rather judgemental of you, brother.

Anyway, I agree 100% with what my collegue Approved said. He spoke well for me... and saved me a bunch of typing!

Krispy

2012/4/6 15:23

Re: Krisoy Kritter

Brother you are quite defensive. No one was infering anything from your post. If you pray for the President's salvation then excellent. My post was meant to ask others to agree for his salvation. I might add that Mr. Romney needs prayer to.

2012/4/6 16:35
Trekker

northern USA

He likes to give nice little "Christian"-sounding soundbites in an attempt to win over Evangelicals. It's all part of the political strategy. And his cronies probably write those speaches FOR him. Anyone who thinks the man is a born again Christian is a fool. And btw, Muslims also believe in the historical "Jesus", they just don't believe He is God, etc.

For those who are tempted to be fooled by the Obama messiah,
let's go over his first two major acts after he took office:
1. He repealed the ban on partial-birth abortion (a barbaric form of infanticide)
2. He declared a national LBGT day for the sexually immoral.
He only left out heterosexual fornicators, pedophiles, and adulterers and forgot to declare a special day for them....maybe that is coming his next term.

2012/4/7 0:49Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy