SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Comparison:The State Of the Church Today Vs 2000+ yrs ago

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Comparison:The State Of the Church Today Vs 2000+ yrs ago

How would you say the church this day compares with the original church in terms of it's zeal for God and effectiveness and seriousness concerning the affairs of God? I think we're lacking, any thoughts?

2005/1/31 12:24Profile
rocklife

usa

Re: Comparison:The State Of the Church Today Vs 2000+ yrs ago

When I read things like Foxe's Book of Martyrs, the Voice of the Martyrs current persecution updates, the testimony in Tortured for Christ by Richard Wurmbrand, Gospel for Asia updates, stories from underground churches in China and etc, I see many committed christians much like the first century. I have learned the first century christians, once the heavy persecution came to this "cult" of Jesus' followers, many christians were like the underground church, secret christians doing much secret work, but like an iceberg, there was evidence of christianity above ground too. Jesus encourages us to do good deeds secretly, we should all have some secret works for God. Let the right hand not know what the left is doing, says Jesus.

Praying for the persecuted church of today in Africa, China, etc. will help our own perspective. You can help those christians today who are being like the first century, by loving and praying and following Jesus wholeheartedly yourself. I'll tell you what I see many christians lack is obedience to Matt 18:15, start obeying this one and you will definitely get some persecution, even if it's just emotional or verbal (called judgmental for sure). Let's all press in to love and obedience to Jesus christ, the only way, the Truth, the Life.

Dear Lord God, please forgive our sins by the shed blood of a perfect lamb, Jesus Christ. Please mold Your children to love you more. Help us draw closer to You today. Thank you for hearing our prayers, please answer according to YOur will. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

2005/1/31 13:37Profile
JKail

Re:

"Who of you is left who saw this house in its former glory? How does it look to you now? Does it not seem to you like nothing?"
-Haggai 2:3

I have to say that I have never seen anything too similar to book of Acts type Christianity. I have read about some people/ministries that resemble Acts but overall I feel like we fit the description of what Haggai the prophet says in the above verse. (At least in the western world).

I have a dissatisfaction in my soul and long for a true expression of Christianity in myself and the body of Christ around me...May God have mercy upon us.

Jake Kail

2005/1/31 16:07Profile
rocklife

usa

Re:

Yes, Jkail, I am sadly disgusted with many churchgoers who claim to be christian and knowingly disobey much of Jesus. I don't fellowship with these people as brothers and sisters, I see they need repentance, not flattery. These people, the ones I have relationships with by God's grace, are the ones who get very angry because many seem to think Jesus forgives everything, even lukewarmness, when the bible does not say such things. Let's seek to follow Him more, as you do, you will know Christ more. I suggest all churchgoers start following Matt 18:15, because this is so ignored and is causing much disobedience among churchgoers. Obey Jesus in this, and you won't be fellowshipping with disobedient, you will be evangelizing in ways only orchestrasted by God, and your suffering will produce more and more love to Him. This is my experience and the experience of so many other christians.

Going to church and being in christian things is not christianity, loving God in word and DEED, obeying Jesus CHRIST is a CHRISTian.

I also don't just talk and talk about christianity. I am thankful God has given me the passion to give away tracts, many many tracts, including other evangelism and His works. Tasteful tracts, not dumb devil tracts, those are terrible, also I make homemade tracts that go along with the neighborhood I am in. So many disobedient church people in my town, I must evangelize, but God's great work for me right now is mainly to enemies, like sex offenders and etc. I encourage all christians to follow Christ, He can give us all good things to do for His glory, even in simplicity and poverty. Love is all we need.

2005/1/31 18:00Profile
alanrepent

Re: Comparison:The State Of the Church Today Vs 2000+ yrs ago

there are few churches left in america today that will stand against this false modern Christianity without compromise, but it does exist. be unwavering brethren. what he whispers in your ear, that shout from the rooftops. it is the only way we will have revival. we must stand against false gospels and end time teachings. when we compromise, we are no better than the false prophets who compromised in days of old.

2005/1/31 18:27Profile
IRONMAN

Re:

Quote:
there are few churches left in america today that will stand against this false modern Christianity without compromise, but it does exist.

I suppose that these would b called extremists. Why do you think that compromise is seen as the way to go now?

I feel though that the only way we can experience a revival is via the consuming fire of judgement. That fire will burn up all the deadwood and whatever is left will be purified for God.

2005/1/31 22:45Profile
IRONMAN

Re:

Quote:
Yes, Jkail, I am sadly disgusted with many churchgoers who claim to be christian and knowingly disobey much of Jesus.

How do y'all think the way church is handled today compares with how church was in the beginning?I'm talking of the preaching and day to day runnings of the church and interacting with the community etc.

2005/1/31 22:47Profile
alanrepent

Re:

Quote:
How do y'all think the way church is handled today compares with how church was in the beginning?I'm talking of the preaching and day to day runnings of the church and interacting with the community etc.

Jesus said "Go thou and preach the kingdom of God." The bible says God is pleased with the foolishness of preaching. It seems satan has allowed people to think that this command to "Go!" is outdated in our culture, and satan has taught many churches that people should just "Come." He tells them to spread the "gospel" by saying things like "would you like to come to our church?" instead of preaching the kingdom of God. somehow satan even got people to believe that this is a valid form of "witnessing." It is an attraction gospel, instead of the forcefully advancing kingdom that was established after Jesus came. The fearful have a place in a lake of fire and brimstone.

2005/2/3 18:03Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
The fearful have a place in a lake of fire and brimstone

Brother you preach a heavy word! ;-)

God Bless,

-Robert

2005/2/3 18:11Profile
TonyS

Kansas City, Missouri

Re: Comparison: The State of the Church Today vs 2000+ yrs ago

Quote:
there are few churches left in america today that will stand against this false modern Christianity without compromise, but it does exist.

There are in excess of 400,000 Churches in the United States Of America with roughly 140 million in attendance on any given weekend according to The Gallup Organization.

How does one calculate the premise that there are only a "few" Uncompromising American Churches?

Blessings,
tony

2005/2/4 0:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy