SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The vileness of the saint

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

More from the same sermon.

IV. And now I come to the fourth point, which is, THE DISCOVERY OF OUR CORRUPTION. Job said, "Behold, I am vile." That word "behold" implies that he was astonished. The discovery was unexpected. There are special times with the Lord's people, when they learn by experience that they are vile. They heard the minister assert the power of inbred lust, but perhaps they shook their heads and said, "I cannot go so far as that;" but after a little while they found, by some clearer light from heaven, that it was a truth after all—"Behold, I am vile."

OJ

2012/3/5 14:40

Job's Humility before GOD -

Job 1:8 And the LORD said unto Satan,

"Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?"

2012/3/5 14:59

Re: Job's Humility before GOD -

Quote:
Job 1:8 And the LORD said unto Satan,

"Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?"

That is considerably better than any of us here and yet this man who was all these things boldly proclaims, "Behold, I am vile" upon a meeting with God. If he owns this to be true of him, what of you and of me, or anyone else???

OJ

2012/3/5 16:40
pilgrim777

Re:

That's good roadsign and appolus.

Self is what is vile to God. What is vile is when we turn away from the Lord and trust in ourselves having no need of Him.

Trouble was brought to Job to drive him to God and to show him that his strength was found only in the Lord and not in himself.

The Lord has His ways of showing us what areas of our lives we are not trusting Him with and then bring us to a place of willing dependence and trust.

Pilgrim

2012/3/5 17:36Profile

Re:

Have you had an encounter like these men had, including righteous Job?

Job 38:1-4 Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said, Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?
Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me. Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding............ - Job's reply in 40:4.

Isa 6:1-5 In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple. Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly. And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory. And the posts of the door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke.
Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.

Eze 1:26-28 And above the firmament that was over their heads was the likeness of a throne, as the appearance of a sapphire stone: and upon the likeness of the throne was the likeness as the appearance of a man above upon it. And I saw as the colour of amber, as the appearance of fire round about within it, from the appearance of his loins even upward, and from the appearance of his loins even downward, I saw as it were the appearance of fire, and it had brightness round about. As the appearance of the bow that is in the cloud in the day of rain, so was the appearance of the brightness round about. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD.
And when I saw it, I fell upon my face, and I heard a voice of one that spake.

Read the whole of the First Epistle of John [the one who laid his head on Jesus' chest] and then this ...

Rev 1:10-18 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet, saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: ..........
And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks; and in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle. His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire; and his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters. And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.
*And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead.*
And He laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

2012/3/5 17:47
Lotis

Re:

You were vile Old Joe, but thanks to Christ you no longer need to be. Whether you believe that or not doesn't matter, you are the righteousness of God in Christ.

Job didn't exactly have a New Covenant understanding, so pulling a view of yourself from his words is all but worthless. We Christians can sometimes have MORE faith in our own past "vileness" than we have in Christ's righteousness in us. I feel like you enjoy calling yourself vile ha, get your eyes off yourself an onto Christ...

2012/3/5 18:00Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Joe, Lotis is right.

If God called Job, "Righteous Job", how much more would He call you "Righteous Joe"?

And of course it's all because of WHO is living inside you.

You are accepted in the Beloved.

Was Job perfect because he had no sin?

Was Job perfect because he abided in God continuously?

Was Job perfect because he obeyed all of God's commandments outwardly and performed all of his sacrifices, even those on behalf of his children?

Whatever the reason that the Lord said Job was perfect, something was lacking and only God knew this and He dealt with it in His own inimitable way.

But wherever Job was lacking, he was considered righteous in God's eyes.

How much more are those that are "In Christ" considered righteous (though they may be lacking in some areas)?

Pilgrim

2012/3/5 18:32Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
There is nothing in the world to which this will so much apply as sin; and to sin Job referred when he said, "Behold, I am vile."

Interesting, it was Job’s three friends who believed that his problem was sin - and they were in the wrong. Are we not being asked to agree with them by interpreting "vile" (KJV) as the epitome of sinfulness? (Or is this a slant influenced by Calvinism?)

Where does God say this about Job in his speech to Job?

What exactly was it that Job repented from (42:6)?
Is "repent" a word only used for sin?

Diane

2012/3/5 18:46Profile

Re:

Quote:
What exactly was it that Job repented from (42:6)?

Here you go Roadsign, it's the answer of Job's repentance.

http://www.gotothebible.com/HTML/except2.html

"But God was not yet through. He speaks again, bringing before Job's soul a sense of His greatness and power, of His glory and omniscience. As Job contemplates it all he gets a new conception of the holiness and the righteousness of God. His own littleness is accentuated. That God should look at all upon sinful men now amazes him. "The end of the Lord" is reached at last, and he cries out: "I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes" (42:5-6).We know the rest and need not dwell upon it here. The great object of the Lord has been attained. Job changes his mind -- his whole attitude -- both as to himself and as to God. Humbled to the dust, he condemns himself and glorifies the Lord. And this is what God had in view from the beginning. And it is what all must reach in one way or another who are saved by His grace."

OJ

ETA noticed the quote was cut short.

2012/3/5 20:11

Re:

Roadsign

This is not a "denominational" issue and crosses denominational boundaries, that is why Wesley, Watson, Spurgeon and Smith all preach it.

Read Spurgeon again:

"Then Job answered the Lord and said, Behold, I am vile."—Job 40:3-4.

SURELY, if any man had a right to say, I am not vile, it was Job; for, according to the testimony of God himself, he was "a perfect and an upright man, one that feared God and eschewed evil." Yet we find even this eminent saint, when by his nearness to God he had received light enough to discover his own condition, exclaiming, "Behold I am vile." We are sure that what Job was forced to say, we may each of us assent unto, whether we be God's children or not; and if we be partakers of divine grace, it becomes a subject of great consideration for us, since even we, although we be regenerated, must exclaim, each one for himself, "Behold, I am vile."" C.H. Spurgeon

The rest of the sermon should be read to help shed some light on the issue.

http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/0083.htm

OJ

2012/3/5 20:22

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy