SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Being A Pharisee And Not Knowing It! by Greg Gordon

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Being A Pharisee And Not Knowing It! by Greg Gordon

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as you are." (Matthew 23:15 NIV)

There are many great deceptions and problems that we have to deal with in the Christian life: Pride, selfishness, exalting one's self, justifying sin, and many others heart-attitudes are what comes to our mind initially. But what if I suggested to you that having the heart of a Pharisee is something more dangerous then all these combined. Of course we agree the Pharisees were wrong, they were religious, hard-hearted and cruel to others that were not as fortunate as them to life so godly. They looked down on all sinners and felt they had the corner on God! The Pharisee's judged by outward appearance and judged everyone else so they could feel better about themselves. But the sad and tragic truth is the Pharisee's did not feel they were wrong at all! They had a self-righteous heart but did not know it, they were self-deceived.

Now we consider ourselves in our day. Can we be a Pharisee and not know it? Pursuing holiness, godliness and the overcoming life how could that be wrong? Could someone who is speaking all the right things and loving righteousness and hating wickedness be wrong? We can have big bibles, impressive ministry work, many testimonies of overcoming specific sins, yet still be in the throe's of a Pharisaic heart and attitude. I could imagine the Pharisee's coming together a few times a week to their secret meetings confessing their sins and proclaiming areas that they were doing better in. "I didn't even look at any of those prostitutes on that street corner this week!" , "I didn't even reply to those people who were joking about sin, I just gave them a cold righteous stare.' , 'those other religious teachers across the street they really don't have the truth and light we have!" This all does not appear wrong or overtly sinful at first look, yet our Lord spoke the hardest against those that were confessing to preform very well religiously.

Our Lord declares to those we are having this heart-attitude: "Woe to you." Oh that you would hear the passion and love of the Lord towards you today. He is declaring "Be in great distress over your condition, May you see it and weep and realize your dangerous standing." Our Lord weeps over such in our day that have the same heart as the Pharisees of old and still he cries to His father "Forgive them for they don't know what they are doing." If we are catering this Pharisaical heart we are not only a blockage to the work of God in this day but we are an active hinderance. We are hindering those others to come into the narrow way of life even by preaching the narrow way. It seems good to preach the message of the narrow gate and narrow way but if it is not with love or compassion then it will never build the kingdom of God.

The Pharisees had a few converts and they became just as self-righteous as themselves. Our Lord speaks with such a broken heart over this sad situation "a single convert" yet the world of millions are not your concern. You care for the one that justifies your condition but not for the thousands that if you had the love of Christ would serve and love unconditionally. The Pharisees felt that it was love to judge others, it was love to condemn sinners, they felt they were being loving to require a very narrow way with many rules and standards. But they did not realize or understand the love of God for sinners or themselves. If one has not experienced the love of God then he cannot share the same unconditional love to others.

A Pharisee does not have a great love for the Person of Jesus Christ but only for their performance and repentance that they feel God will accept. May we truly repent of this heart-attitude if it is found in us. Our Lord has such compassion and weeping over you even if you do not realize you are a Pharisee. Come to Jesus today and pray: "Lord, I love you with all my heart, you purchased me with such a great price, I am yours and I do not have to prove myself to you. I am your slave. Use me how you will. If I have a hidden self-righteousness in me please Lord take it out. Pour your love out in my heart that I may love others as you love them."

This "love" will allow the working of the Spirit back in your life and allow you to share the great message of God's love with many. May God continue to keep us from being a Pharisee and not knowing it!

2012/2/16 18:41Profile

Re: Being A Pharisee And Not Knowing It! by Greg Gordon

Watch out brother, when you preach on love, they will come gunning for you :) Before you know it you will be accused of having a license to sin! Thats okay, the Truth is umoved by accusation. A man with an experience will not be outdone by a man with an argument, or something like that. It does my heart good to hear you speak in this manner. The Pharisee is the most deceptive counterfiet Christian because the flesh loves to justify itself and redeem itself, it robs the work that only Christ can perform and leaves the recipient broken and lying in the ditch............. brother Frank

2012/2/16 20:33
joliboy11

Philippines

thank you for reminding us brother Greg...

2012/2/16 23:59Profile
MichaelLiao

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dear Brother Greg and others on SI,

I've recently been confronted by another brother about being a Pharisee. I have been very legalistic and stuck in performance and not sure how to get out. Please pray for me. I've just been in heavy doubt of my salvation over this issue. All I cared about was just walking the narrow way and living holy, yet I forget the relationship part of it. I forget love, mercy, and grace. God help me! Please pray for me brethren. God's been allowing me to fall a lot into sin. Maybe it's because of that verse "If any man thinks he stands, take heed lest he fall." (1 Cor. 10:12). I've been a hypocrite...

In Christ,

- Michael Liao

2012/2/17 19:13Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Good words dear brother. Thanks for sharing.

2012/2/17 19:24Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

Yes, good word, Greg. Thank you.

The scarey thing is that it was the custodians of the truth-- the Pharisees-- that crucified Christ in His day.

...And how many times over the centuries have they done it again?

2012/2/17 22:03Profile

Well, in a lot of ways, a great deal of believers have the Pharisee trait. Anyone of us who have the habit of pointing the finger at others have that characteristic.

If I may add to your writing brother, Pharisees have a hard heart toward the truth even when it's being shown in plain sight. Many of us fall into that catagory. It is said, "He came unto His own and His own received Him not".

That is a pretty scary verse. It could be said of us if we are hardened to the truth. Frank has a thread that says, "behold I stand at the door and knock". It could be said this way, "He came unto His own house and knocked and His own would not open the door and receive Him". They were His people and we are His people and Greg's message is a sobering message, to me it's frightening because anyone of us can find ourselves in that place, being in His house and still not recognize Him, His word and work.

2012/2/17 22:31

Re:

"Frank has a thread that says, "behold I stand at the door and knock". It could be said this way, "He came unto His own house and knocked and His own would not open the door and receive Him".

That is exactly what I was saying bro. I have witnessed the door being slammed shut and it made my blood boil.And it was abundantly apparent that the folks slamming the door shut had no idea because they were so lost in their own philosophy and dogma.........bro Frank

2012/2/17 23:32
pilgrim777

Re:

Matt 23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye SHUT UP the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

They do shut the door, Frank. What are some ways that the Pharisaical spirit "SHUTS UP" the kingdom of heaven?

Clue: Their father is the Devil and they employ the same means as the one they are related to.

One should know if they are abiding in Christ, and no one would ever admit they are abiding in Satan. Satan blinds one through pride to think they are abiding in God. This is why Religion is so dangerous and has killed many through the centuries and brought many under it's control. Men think they are abiding in God and doing His service.

So, how do these men, which are abiding in Satan, shut up the kingdom of heaven?

Pilgrim

2012/2/18 7:22Profile
ManofGod0000

Re:

this was a very needful post

2012/2/18 10:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy