SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Did God Create Over Billions of Years

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
staff

Re:

Hi TrueWitness,
On your comment below- why would God wait a period of time to bring order to the world?And if he did how do you know how long that period is?And like I said in another post why did God rest on the 7th but apparently made the heavens and the earth but did not rest?
Considering that God in constructing the bible is fanatical about recording times such as wilderness wonderings,captivities,sabbaths,jubliee years etc it is hard to believe that this is not part of the first day and that that time is recorded as well.

" talks about the Earth being formless and void. Well that doesn't sound like something God would do, making something chaotic like that."

Yours Staff

2012/1/28 18:54Profile
staff

Re:

Hi All,
For those Christians who believe in evolution:We know that Adam was created on the sixth day and we know how old adam was when he died and we know that 5 days before Adam was created that Light was created and we know that without light their can be no evolution.Hence no need for millions or billions of years.

Gen1.2 the earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.
Yours Staff

2012/1/28 18:55Profile
staff

Re:

Hi Churanga,
I have no doubt that this world has indoctrinated most people with evolution and billions of years but I think you misunderstood my point.
My point is that Christians who believe in millions of years and argue for evolution believe it because it is the easy thing to do,instead of looking foolish they take the easy way out.
The second point is aimed at Christians who have both information from the secular scientists about evolution and from scietists that are christians and choose to believe the secular scientists,
Yours Staff

2012/1/28 19:12Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Genesis clearly teaches that the days were not 24 hours.

2012/1/28 19:16Profile
staff

Re:

Hi,
Could you please elaborate on this clear teaching?

Adam was created on the sixth day and after the sixth day was a seventh day.The bible clearly records the age of Adam's death at 930years.Adam lived through the seventh day which had to be literal or it would be recorded in Gen 5:5 and it is not.For instance if the seventh day were actually 15000 years in duration then Adam could not be only 930 years.Look what it says below in Genesis "ALL THE DAYS" not some "ALL" including the sixth and seventh days

"Genesis 5:5 So all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years, and he died."

Their are three main types of beliefs regarding Genesis as I see it.
1.Christians who believe in a literal six days with no room for evolution
2.People who believe in millions or billions of years and evolution
3.Christians who believe in a gap theory which involves the possibility of millions of years.

I can easily understand the beliefs of the first two clearly but the third type is harder to understand other than they are christians who lean towards the belief in evolution which is incompatible with Christ being savior.
The only reason a knowledgable Christians can argue for millions of years is because they believe in evolution
Yours Staff

2012/1/28 20:08Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

The Bible says in II Peter 3:8 that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. God does not see time the same way we do! To him, one second could be a million years. Therefore, no matter what the interpretation is of the original Hebrew for the word “day,” it does not apply to an infinite God.

2012/1/28 20:39Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Genesis 1:5:5God called the light day, and the darkness He called night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.

Genesis 1:8: God called the expanse heaven. And there was evening and there was morning, a second day.

Genesis 1:13:There was evening and there was morning, a third day.

Genesis 1:19: There was evening and there was morning, a fourth day.

Genesis 1:23: There was evening and there was morning, a fifth day.

Genesis 1:31: God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

All my life an evening and morning consisted of 24 hour periods, just like it is described here. If this were longer periods of time I think God would have been clear about it in this record.

I find it easier to believe the WORD just as it is written rather then try to finagle it to fit secular philosophies.

2012/1/28 22:21Profile

Re:

Quote:
Genesis clearly teaches that the days were not 24 hours.

Actually it clearly teaches that the days were all 24 hours.

Gen 1:14 teaches that the length of days were set and to be measured by the sun and moon. The length of days before and after this day are all recorded as being the same length. Since they are measured by sun and moon as they still are today, it can only mean they were 24 hour days.

2012/1/29 0:58
ArtB

New York

Re:

Here is a topic that I have some expertise in.

To begin with, Science has clearly said "NO" to The Theory of Evolution. If you want me to share the evidence against evolution, Just ask. However, adaptation of the species to ecological niches is a reality.

If you wish to believe that God created the universe and all animals in six days, then the universe is nothing more than a stage made to look like billions of years old. This is not a bad theory, when a Producer decides to finance a stage production of the play 'South Pacific', he does not plant a Palm Tree seed on his stage and wait for the Palm Tree to grow 12 feet high before he could start his play. He buys a full size Palm tree and place it on the stage, so the show may begin promptly.

Similarly God may have made the universe to look billions of years old, for whatever reason He intended it to be that way.

On the other hand, our universe may actually be Billions of years old, and God may have had many other uses for such a universe. Who can say we are the only planet with life on it?

Complicating the situation is the fact that the universe is accelerating in its expansion at near the speed of light. Therefore Einstein Theory of relativity must be accounted for, thus Billions years may have passed in our time frame, and only 6 days in God's time frame.

And then there is Creationary scientists Russel Humphreys White Hole Theory, which I think is rather good concept, but needed more work last I looked at it..

As for Creationary scientists, I believe there are more who believe the universe is many millions or even Billions of years old from Earths' vantage point than those who believe the Universe is 6,000 years old.

Finally, the universe can not be infinitely old. Time always has to be finite. Time is not an abstract concept, it is a concrete concept based upon actual movements in the real world we live in.

2012/1/29 0:59Profile
ArtB

New York

Re:

by Old_Joe on 2012/1/28 21:58:45

Quote:
Actually (Genesis) clearly teaches that the days were all 24 hours.

Gen 1:14 teaches that the length of days were set and to be measured by the sun and moon. The length of days before and after this day are all recorded as being the same length. Since they are measured by sun and moon as they still are today, it can only mean they were 24 hour days.

The Jewish Midrash claims they were 24 hour periods.

2012/1/29 1:51Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy