SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : I heard something interesting last night...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: I heard something interesting last night...

"He was talking about hearing God and He made the statement that anyone who says they have are basically being misled and that it is some sort of mystism. and then stated that he has never heard the voice of the Lord and the only way God has spoken is through Holy Scriptures."

I am glad that I never heard of this preacher. Heard of him yes, but not heard him or read his books. I never was drawn to his writings, for some strange reason I felt he lacked something which I didn't want.

Then I hear this.

I feel sad for him.

A scripture that immediately comes to mind is,

Acts 26:24 Festus said with a loud voice saying, Paul, thou art beside thyself; much learning doth make thee mad.

God is called the "living God" because He is alive. He can hear, see, feel, understand, love and the list goes on, but all the other gods are dumb lacking in any qualities that God possesses. They can't offer anything to man, they are fashioned by man's hands, and they sit where we place it, whether it's in our mind or on a pedestal. No hope, no truth, no life.

Yet, this MacArthur in his ignorance is saying that God is one of those dumb gods.

2011/12/8 17:33
makrothumia

Texas

Re:

Dear makrothumia,

What "kind of speaking" are you referring to? What "statement" are you referring to?

I apologize for the confusion. I was refering to McArthur's statements, "the type of speaking" that can come from years of successfull ministry or apparent success. A person who speaks from the "confidence" in his or her own understanding rather than the leading of the Holy Spirit.

Successful men are particularly vulnerable to this. The Kings of Judah, Solomon, Rehoboam, Asa, Uzziah, Hezekiah, were different in the days of their utter dependency upon the Lord. Once they became established, their confidence became their downfall.

So if we think we stand firm take heed lest we fall.

Thank you for your help Doug in allowing me to clarify what I was attempting to say.

For all the readers, let us take heed to our ask the Lord to set a watch upon our mouths and keep the door of our lips. Let us guard our hearts with all diligence, for self confidence allowed to live in the heart will most likely find its way through the door of our lips.

makrothumia

2011/12/8 19:31Profile
gators52

Central Florida

Re:

it just seemed to me that it was dead theology of the Living God... Our God is an expierential God.

2011/12/9 15:39Profile
Solomon101

America's Flyover Country

Re:

I can certainly understand why gators52.

It just blows ones mind to think where his cessationist beliefs have taken him. However, it is where that train always goes to. Which by the way.... I would never say a word about except that he gets on that topic, loses all ability to exegete scripture, and spews it across the airwaves for others to be infected by. He is so solid in other areas.. I have enjoyed several of his messages..but then he just quits using what he knows about scripture interpretation when it comes to this one area. WHY???

Clearly..the Bible DOES NOT tell you exactly what city to live in, job to work at, person to date, church to attend, if you are called to ministry, or any of thousands of issues we all must deal with. Those specific answers to those questions must be received by direct revelation from God. If that is not possible then there is NO WAY to be obedient to Him in those areas. OF COURSE there is extra Biblical revelation... as I stated earlier, without it John McArthur, or anyone else for that matter, can not even know they are called into ministry! It was just a "choice" like choosing what shoes to wear.

It is a ridiculous thought from a Biblical perspective as well. As a simple example.....

Jesus said to, "Go into all the world and preach the Gospel to every creature..." in Mark 16.

However, did you ever notice this in Acts 16:6-7? Speaking of Paul right before his Macedonian vision it states , " Paul and his companions traveled throughout the region of Phrygia and Galatia, having been KEPT BY THE HOLY SPIRIT FROM PREACHING THE WORD in the province of Asia. 7 When they came to the border of Mysia, they tried to enter Bithynia, but the SPIRIT OF JESUS WOULD NOT ALLOW THEM TO".

AMAZING! Jesus had spoken the word in Mark 16 many years before....they were now going into all the world... the fields were white unto harvest.... now The Holy Spirit is FORBIDDING (kjv) them from obeying it in Asia! Now, we know that from the rest of the story it was because The Holy Spirit wanted them to go to Macedonia at that time. Do you see that?!?! The Holy Spirit is forbidding them from obeying Mark 16... it appears. In essence it seems that The Holy Spirit is forbidding them to obey scripture!

THAT is why we must not only be strong people of THE WORD but also of THE SPIRIT! We must be BOTH to accurately hear and fulfill God's plan in our lives!

In the example in Acts I mentioned.. John McArthur, and any cessationist for that matter, would have absolutely and totally missed the plan of God. They would have continued into Asia saying.."Well..it is what the Word says..go into all the world..and we are going". However, in this case it WAS NOT the will of the Holy Spirit to go anywhere but Macedonia for them. You can never get that revelation unless you allow for extra Biblical revelation. They could not..... and neither can we.

God in Heaven... make us people who know your word deeply. Father, also make us into a people who can hear the voice of The Holy Spirit and respond to His leading to fulfill the call on our lives in even the smallest details.

Blessings Friends!

CAPS only used to bring emphasis to certain words. No yelling was intended.

2011/12/9 16:26Profile
dietolive

Re: Solomon101

Very well said dear Brother.

It is truly both the Word and the Spirit together.

We endeavor to obey what the Word actually says, and it is the Spirit that teaches us how to do it.

BE WELL!
Doug

2011/12/9 16:50Profile
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Re:

The letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. I think it may be good to have a reference for "those words" he stated, like a specific link to that particular radio broadcast. Anyway of finding that out?

2011/12/9 17:09Profile
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Re:

And, I'd like to add that I also think that this very topic here discussed can bring an evil snare with it - although the man maybe theologically incorrect in this one point, he has brought more people to Christ than I have - and that's one fact. Another fact is this - that it is only by the grace of God that I do also believe that "those that are led by the Spirit of God are the sons of God", not of my own works lest I should boast, and let any knowleadge that I have of Christ puff me up, and therefore not display Christ-like love to any brother, I would end up sounding like a clanging gong. I would humbly ask that all saints pray for Mr MacAurther, and if allowed by providence to point out his error to him in humility, to do it in a spirit of meekness.

2011/12/9 19:03Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Hi Gator, thanks for your post. As you said about John 10, it says in verse 27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.

So if he has never heard His voice, how then can he follow Him or be His sheep?

I read his book Charismatic Chaos and was very saddened by it.

2011/12/9 20:22Profile
gators52

Central Florida

Re:

I have listened to John MacArthur for atleast ten years and have known that he has always been against charismatic Christianity, which I don't blame him. I also know how he is a TRUE defender of the Gospel. My point is in light of all that being said, where does the Holy Spirit fit in? I too have said MANY things in error, we all have. This is love in addressing such a statement as he made. Which is one in a long line of statements he has made. I'm sure if we had the opportunity to speak to mr. MacArthur he would defend his theology on these matters, as well as the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

2011/12/9 20:59Profile

The Spirit is always speaking. We just have to hear Him (Mark 9:2-7).

And the Angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert. And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship, was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet. Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot (Acts 8:26-29).

Now when they had gone throughout Phrygia and the region of Galatia, and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia, after they were come to Mysia, they assayed to go into Bithynia: but the Spirit suffered them not. And they passing by Mysia came down to Troas. And a vision appeared to Paul in the night; There stood a man of Macedonia, and prayed him, saying, Come over into Macedonia, and help us. And after he had seen the vision, immediately we endeavoured to go into Macedonia, assuredly gathering that the Lord had called us for to preach the gospel unto them (Acts 16:6-10).

And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them (Revelation 14:13).

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you (John 14:26).

He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches (Revelation 3:6).

2011/12/9 22:04

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy