SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Lot & Samson

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
savannah

Lot & Samson

Q. Did Lot & Samson lead holy lives?
A. _______

If no, were they saved?

If yes, can you furnish some examples from the Scriptures?

Thanks for your consideration

2011/11/30 18:38Profile
EvangelTam

Re: Lot & Samson

Hey,

Hmm this is an interesting question.

I think Samson though he fell repented in the end and His faith was counted as righteousness I take this from two passages.

Hebrews 11 where he is mentioned among the faithful
and Romans 3 where it talks of righteousness obtained through faith

32And what more shall I say? For time would fail me to tell of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets— 33who through faith conquered kingdoms, enforced justice, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, 34 quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, were made strong out of weakness, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight. 35 Women received back their dead by resurrection. Some were tortured, refusing to accept release, so that they might rise again to a better life. 36Others suffered mocking and flogging, and even chains and imprisonment. 37 They were stoned, they were sawn in two,[a] they were killed with the sword. They went about in skins of sheep and goats, destitute, afflicted, mistreated— 38of whom the world was not worthy— wandering about in deserts and mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.

39And all these, though commended through their faith, did not receive what was promised, 40since God had provided something better for us, that apart from us they should not be made perfect. Heb 11:32-39

I think with Samson at the end of his life he did lead a holy life because of the repentence that is seen with action and blessing from God though prior to this he seemed to compromise a lot.

With Lot

well the NT scriptures say
(for by what he saw and heard that righteous man, while living among them, felt his righteous soul tormented day after day by their lawless deeds), 2 Peter 2:8

hmm I think holy and righteous are two different things
the definition of Holy is set apart from what I know
if that is what it is means than I dont think Lot did? since he did not separate himself but was very much a part of the wicked city? He sorta compromised a lot. Even when the angel was trying to save him he wanted to stay in the town and not the mountains (but went eventually)

I think the bible says righteous because he still beleived God in faith?

those are just my thoughts

2011/11/30 20:25Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, there is only one way to be saved and that is by faith in the finished work of Jesus.past ,present, and future. i would also put solomon in the same discussion. one day we will know, and i am not the person who is in charge of that right now.

2011/12/1 4:50Profile
savannah

Re: Lot & Samson

EvangelTam, please expound a bit on this you said below:

"I think with Samson at the end of his life he did lead a holy life because of the repentence that is seen with action and blessing from God..."

Are you saying that repentance = leading a holy life?

2011/12/4 8:01Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

I would say Samson was likely saved, or at least he was commended by Paul or the writer of Hebrews as one in the "Hall of Faith" so to speak or at least that's what I have always heard chapter 11 called.

2011/12/4 8:24Profile
savannah

Re: L&S

EvangelTam,

I was hoping you'd come back to this thread as I addressed a question to you regarding your post.

Thanks.

2011/12/5 0:17Profile
EvangelTam

Re:

O sorry yeah

What I mean was that
I believe that any true repentance must accompany a greater degree of holiness in the life of a person in that he has turned away from sin and toward God. Its sorta just the natural cause and effect.

SO in that way Samson repented and lived holy for a short period of his life

But if you talk about a life of holiness as a whole than it is hard to argue that he did.

if we throw in Solomon we could also talk about Asa and Uzziah as well the Kings who did good but then in the end did not. It sorta parallels the spiritual condition of many Christians today.

2011/12/5 0:38Profile

Re:

Lot-saved
Samson-saved
Solomon-saved
Jonathan-saved
Uzziah-saved
Jacob-saved
Barak-saved
Ruth-saved

King Saul-lost
Ananias & Sapphira- lost
Ahab-lost

Tamar is an interesting study.

Very few lost people get much air time in the Bible, enough to show what an absence of faith is.

OJ

2011/12/5 2:04
savannah

Re: saved by faith alone

Old_Joe wrote, on 2011/12/4 23:04:19

Lot-saved
Samson-saved
Solomon-saved
Jonathan-saved
Uzziah-saved
Jacob-saved
Barak-saved
Ruth-saved

I agree with you Joe, not because your old either!

But, why do you suppose Zac Poonen would judge and condemn Solomon to hell?

Do you suppose it has to do with the Q&A I asked in the original post?

The Q&A in the original post is related to the thread that Greg Gordon started "CATECHISM FOR YOUNG CHILDREN". Related in that many were stumped by the question about those who are saved being only those who lead holy lives. Yet others were not stumped. This should cause many to begin to soberly examine their understanding of the Gospel of God's Grace, and His salvation which is by faith alone in Christ's finished work alone.

2011/12/6 18:21Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Lot-saved
Samson-saved
Solomon-saved
Jonathan-saved
Uzziah-saved
Jacob-saved
Barak-saved
Ruth-saved