SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Idolatry in the Church

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

I like Mike's answer.
"I'm usually my own idol."

If this one is overcome, then what else matters?

Jas 3:2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.
Jas 3:3 Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.
Jas 3:4 Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.
Jas 3:5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
Jas 3:6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
Jas 3:7 For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:
Jas 3:8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
Jas 3:9 Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
Jas 3:10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Jas 3:11 Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?

2011/11/8 23:05Profile
PaulFaculin

Quezon City, Philippines

Re:

Here in my nation I could think of two:

1.Nationalism-too much involvement of the Church on Politics.

2.Christmas-Boy, It's a huge one.

2011/11/9 3:25Profile
oldandgrey

Sydney Australia

Re: Idolatry in the Church

Colossians 3 v 5 ESV Put to death therefore what is earthly in you:* sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.

Footnote:
* Greek therefore your members that are on the earth

2011/11/9 5:15Profile

Re:

Quote:
Ignoring the scriptures in favor of CONTEXT CONTEXT CONTEXT (doesn't apply to US clearly).

Can you elaborate this? I dont understand what you're trying to say.

Krispy

2011/11/9 5:39
wayneman

Michigan

Re:

In a word: Bibliolatry, or what Tozer called "textualism" - worshipping the road map instead of following the Road. Bible-worship is by far the most widespread form of idolatry in the evangelical church.

2011/11/9 8:54Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

I agree Wayne, what I found helps is remembering that the Bible is a tool for pointing us to something greater ie Christ Jesus. If you are on a road trip to Mount Rushmore and you saw a sign that said Mount Rushmore 5 miles you wouldn't stop and stare at the sign and end your journey. No you would keep going until you got there.

This is what many Christians have done they are aware that Christ wants a relationship with them and that Christ wants to heal them they KNOW it BUT they have yet to enter it by personally meeting Christ Himself. Christianity MUST be more than headknowledge!

2011/11/9 9:02Profile
wayneman

Michigan

Re:

Tozer put it this way:

The error of textualism is not doctrinal. It is far more subtle than that and much more difficult to discover, but its effects are just as deadly. Not its theological beliefs are at fault, but its assumptions.

It assumes, for instance, that if we have the word for a thing we have the thing itself. If it is in the Bible, it is in us. If we have the doctrine, we have the experience. If something was true of Paul it is of necessity true of us because we accept Paul's epistles as divinely inspired. The Bible tells us how to be saved, but textualism goes on to make it tell us that we are saved, something which in the very nature of things it cannot do. Assurance of individual salvation is thus no more than a logical conclusion drawn from doctrinal premises, and the resultant experience wholly mental.

2011/11/9 9:15Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Re: Idolatry in the Church

Idolatry (to me) is outwardly serving one while inwardly seeking another. Example: Going to church every Sunday but everyday reading the horoscope to see how what they say about my day and how it’s going to be affected. Another example: sex. We go to church on Sunday, sing a few songs, and then return home to the Internet, the magazines, or however the fix is gotten.

In the O.T. the people would gather to hear the reading of God’s word but then go to the high places to offer their sacrifices. Very few King’s feared God more than they did the people and actually tore down all the high places. Isn’t that reminiscent of today, how few people fear God enough to tear down all the high places in their heart?

We ALL have hidden idols in our heart and it can only take walking in the Spirit with the Lord on a daily basis to uncover them and then we have the free will choice of tearing them down. Lord help us all.

God bless you, Krispy, on your teaching!
Lisa

PS (edit): Just read wayneman's post... double amen on bible-worship.

2011/11/9 10:18Profile
savannah

Re: feeling enthusiastic

Re: "Bible-worship is by far the most widespread form of idolatry in the evangelical church."

Though it is the quintessence of enthusiasm to pretend to be guided by the Spirit without the written Word, yet it is every Christian’s bounden duty to be guided by the Spirit in conjunction with the written Word of God. Watch, therefore, I pray you, O believers, the motions of God’s blessed Spirit in your souls, and always try the suggestions or impressions that you may at any time feel, by the unerring rule of God’s most Holy Word. And if they are not found to be agreeable to that, reject them as diabolical and delusive! - GEORGE WHITEFIELD

Three of satan's tools are - sentimentalism, sensationalism, and enthusiasm.

The Gospel is the power of God unto salvation. And we are kept by that same power of God through faith unto salvation.

Jesus is the living Word made flesh.

Mysticism will flourish when the Word of God is not magnified.

Psalms 138:2 I will worship toward Your holy temple, and give thanks to Your name for Your mercy, and for Your truth; for You have magnified Your Word above all Your name.

Heb. 4:12 For the Word of God is living, and powerfully working, and sharper than every two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of both soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge of the thoughts and intentions of the heart

2011/11/9 11:08Profile
roadsign

Re:

Apple Pie

2011/11/9 12:16Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy