SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Idolatry in the Church

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Idolatry in the Church

I'm going to be teaching on idolatry next week... I have the message together as a skeleton. I have examples of idolatry in the church that I myself struggle with.

Anyone have any examples of "idolatry in the Church"? ...or that you have struggled with personally in your walk?

Krispy

2011/11/8 6:56
andres

texas,brownsville

Re: Idolatry in the Church

idolatry:
1. the Pastor
2. Position
3. a feeling (chasing after a feeling)
andy

2011/11/8 9:38Profile
roadsign

Re:

What about our need to be right - to be seen as right?

Diane

2011/11/8 9:40Profile
Compton

Re:

I'm usually my own idol.

2011/11/8 10:27Profile
Sree

Greatest Idolatry in any Church is Money. Remember the rich man who kept all the commandments from Childhood. But when Jesus told him to give up his money he could not which means he Idolized money.
I am 28, personally I struggle with Fame, even when I prophesy in Church if I do it to glorify myself instead of Glorifying God, it is a Sin of Idolatry. Am I expecting people to say Amen when I pray, when I prophesy etc? I win this battle by not entertaining the thought, I will not share or prophesy until my thoughts of fame leave me and I am able to cast the crown on his feet.
When someone praises me for any word I shared, I respond saying praise God and then submit it to his feet. All I deserve is hell fire but by his mercy he gave me the word.

2011/11/8 11:09Profile
dietolive

Others have mentioned good examples of inward spiritual idolatry. However, there is a good example of outward idolatry in many of our American churches, especially in the South.

The U.S. Flag is a very real idol in such churches, usually fringed in beautiful gold tassles, and topped by the Golden Eagle that dates all the way back to the Roman Empire.

In Churches I have been to, it is invariable set to its own right, in "the place of honor", (according to the United States Flag Code), when it is displayed next to the less honorable and therefore lower-in-rank "Christian Flag" on its left.

One flag represent merely one of the kingdoms of this world. The other supposedly represents the Kingdom of God and of His Christ.

Which is supreme?

Doug

2011/11/8 11:55Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

the television (or Hollywood) and all these reality shows has captivated more than our time, they captivated our souls.

when we treat our vehicles better than our spouse, that can be idolatry.

when we constantly seek other's opinions over hitting our knees before the Lord and waiting on Him, is that idolatry?

Someone mentioned the church, working for the church endless hours, is that idolatry?

God bless,
Lisa

2011/11/8 12:16Profile

Re:

Wow... good stuff, guys! Keep 'em coming!

Doug, your was particularly thought provoking.

Krispy

2011/11/8 12:41
lovejt

Re:

Idolizing the church herself.
Idolizing your ministry.

2011/11/8 12:47Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Calvinism - as observed and practiced in the South.

The preacher - every thing has to be run by him for his approval or disapproval.

2011/11/8 14:33Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy