SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Given Her for a Covering by Mike Atnip

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
PosterThread
HeartSong

Re:

Just for clarification, the LORD has shown me that He would have me to wear a head covering when I pray and prophesy amongst His people. It matters not what others think about it, nor is it any of my concern whether others do, or do not, do it. It is between them and the LORD and I have full confidence that He will bring them into full obedience - that being whatever it is that He would have them to do.

2011/10/29 21:09Profile
Creation7

Re:

Quote:
As a man I wear a covering when I pray...Now, am I sinning by covering my head with a piece of cotton?

According to the Scriptures, yes.

"But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ;...Every man PRAYING (as you are) or prophesying, having [his] head covered, DISHONOURETH his head (Christ).For a man INDEED OUGHT NOT to cover [his] head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God:" (1 Cor. 11:3,4,7)

I didn't say this. Christ (through Paul) said you are dishonoring Him by doing so.

2011/10/30 15:51Profile
amranger

Montana

Re:

I would like to add some thoughts.

As near as I can tell, the meaning of the whole passage rests on verse 15.

But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for [her] hair is given her for a covering. Here again is what seems to be a mis-translation of a word.

"her hair is giver her FOR a covering." The greek word is "anti."

G473 ἀντί anti (an-tee') prep.
1. opposite, i.e. instead or because
2. opposed to
3. (rarely) in addition to

So, her hair is given to her INSTEAD of a covering. Hair is opposite, opposed to, instead or because of a covering. We would have to drop all the way down to the 3rd definition to get to "(rarely) in addition to." It seems to me to be a BIG stretch to say that the 3rd and rare definition is what Paul really meant. Just think of the word Antichrist, does it mean in addition to? No. It means against. Following the Word, I think the most logical conclusion is that hair is the covering.

And yes, I did read the article at the very beginning of this post.

2011/10/30 19:07Profile

Re:

""But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ;...Every man PRAYING (as you are) or prophesying, having [his] head covered, DISHONOURETH his head (Christ).For a man INDEED OUGHT NOT to cover [his] head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God:" (1 Cor. 11:3,4,7)"

In my early years I had a night job and I lived about an hour away from my work. I couldn't afford a cab and we don't have subways or anything like that working in the night, so I used to walk home in the wee hours of the morning. When I started this regime it was in the winter. I bundled up and put on a parka and headed out following the train tracks and I complained about the elements as I went along. With my green scarf on underneath my hood I complained then I heard the Lord say, "why don't you praise me instead of complaining". I started praising Him and I soon warmed up. The next night I could hardly wait to get off work so I can get out to walk home. I prayed up a storm and sang melodies in my heart to the Lord all winter long and not once did He ever convict me of my scarf, my hood or the ceiling or the roof or any other covering that I might have been under. To this day I still don't.

2011/10/30 19:42
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

QUOTE:
"You will not grudge me my duty of love, will you, in encouraging the tender in Spirit? Dear sisters who have the courage to post, even in the teeth of such raging mockery against them? No dear Brother, you must not grudge me this."

Thank-you, Doug. I have deliberately not looked at this thread for several days because I cannot stand to see the WORD mocked and by extension those of us who are sincere in our obedience. I find it heartbreaking, especially those whose insights I had valued in the past.

I will leave now and hope to not look at this thread again in the near future. Anyone who will address this post and expect a response from me will likely not get it. If you want to email me you may...

ginnyrose

2011/10/30 19:57Profile

Re:

I agree with ginnyrose on this, this thread is of no value to me either, it's disheartening.

2011/10/30 21:56

Re:

God is not the author of confusion and there seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread.

Psa 133:1 Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!

Oh that we could talk about things that would edify and build up one another in Christ.

2011/10/31 0:53
El-Bethel

Re:

October: Failure and Success
No man is worthy to succeed until he is willing to fail. No man is
morally worthy of success in religious activities until he is willing
that the honor of succeeding should go to another if God so wills.
Born After Midnight, 58.
October 28
Failure and Success: The Things That Matter
...that you may approve the things that are excellent, that you may be
sincere and without offense till the day of Christ, being filled with
the fruits of righteousness which are by Jesus Christ, to the glory
and praise of God.
--Philippians 1:10-11
In life there will be found certain great fundamentals, like pillars
bearing up the weight of some mighty building....
The wise man will simplify his life by going to the center of it. He
will look well to the foundations and, having done that, he will not
worry about the rest.
Life as we know it in our painfully intricate civilization can be
deadly unless we learn to distinguish the things that matter from
those that do not. It is never the major things that destroy us, but
invariably the multitude of trifling things which are mistakenly
thought to be of major importance. These are so many that, unless we
get out from under them, they will crush us body and soul....
Every believer as well as every minister of Christ must decide
whether he will put his emphasis upon the majors or the minors. He
must decide whether he will stay by the sober truths which
constitute the beating heart of the Scriptures or turn his attention
to those marginal doctrines which always bring division and which,
at their best, could not help us much on our way to the Celestial
City. The Next Chapter After the Last, 11,14.
"Oh God, we are so inundated with distracting things and clamorous
voices. Deliver me today from the trifling things and help me to
spend every minute of the day on 'the things that matter.' Amen."

2011/10/31 6:13Profile

Re:

El-Bethel, i really like that post, tzadik, did you write it?
if you did, only God the Holy Spirit impells as such, to which i say amen. neil

2011/10/31 8:49
passerby

Re:

Important notes on the study about head covering.

1. Scriptural basis of the head covering.

2. What is the reason for head covering, is it just to respect the prevailing customs. (1Co 10:32 Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:)

What was the related jewish, or roman, or greek custom at the time of Paul's writing.

3. When to wear the head covering: all the time, in the presence of public audience, when praying either in private or in public, when attending a christian assembly, only when praying or prophesying in public, whenever a christian woman has to say something during christian assembly.

In 1 Cor 14:34 women are prohibited from speaking during christian gathering do 'praying and prophesying' in 1 cor 11 represents something else.

4. Is their a prescribed style and size of the head covering.

5. Is a woman who in fact or heart is submissive to her husband, still required to wear a head covering.

6. In reference to 1Cor 11:15, is the head covering after all pertains to hair.

7. What is the Greek rendition of the texts, if by any chance some mistranslation happened, as some commentators claim.

Pardon me for adding these headaches.

2011/10/31 8:53Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy