SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Given Her for a Covering by Mike Atnip

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
PosterThread
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re: Ginnyrose

With respect sister Ginnyrose, that comment is a bit of a 'slap down'.
Obviously John McArthur is not being set up against the Apostle Paul, we are all trying to come to the correct understanding of what Paul wrote and McArthur is just one of those, as is Mike Atnip! Is it only OK to quote someone who agrees with us?

If we cannot discuss these things in a decent and respectful way, then best not to post I would say.

BTW, you still have not answered my question from a number of posts back (in fact nobody has), which is...
If the men in you assembly wear hats and remove them when praying or coming together for spiritual meeting, why is this OK, but not OK for the women to cover their heads only in the same circumstances, when the Apostle Paul states the same conditions for both men and women?

This is a genuine question and not trying to put down anyone who chooses to wear a covering. I'm happy for all to do whatever their conviction is. However there are some who are posting on here, such as yourself and Doug who insist that every women should do as you do and call it a SIN if they don't! I would say that stance in itself could very well be a SIN.

With love.

EDIT: I sense there is a 'party' spirit developing on this thread. It seems that there is a tendancy for putting down those who are not of ones particular position and a banding together of those who do agree. This is ungodly and the flesh (see 1 Corinthians 1 & 2 on factions). Maybe it is time to finish this discussion?

2011/10/28 4:12Profile
keepstanding

UK

Re:

Dear friends,

This is not about emotions or what you feel your heart is telling you to do. The bible clearly tells us that Women must be in subjection to their husband/father, and we have not reached perfection yet (if you have let me know because I would like to meet you) so we can all fall into the flesh, which is why when we do fall into the flesh we must pray that God will help us by the power of his Holy Spirit to overcome sin in that area.
In my last post I should have responded in a more loving tone, I have repented and pray that the LORD will help me respond to people (no matter how sad they make me feel) in a more loving manner in the future. Praise the LORD for helping me to grow in this area, and may he continue to shape my character for his purpose’s forevermore.

The question is what does 1 Cor 11 teach? not how do we feel about it. We absolutely must obey the word of God. A heart for the LORD will obey his word, by the power of his Holy Spirit.

Another good article on this is
http://www.anabaptists.org/tracts/covertrc.html

I am not of any specific denomination or do I follow any particular person. I am a Christian who has a desire to follow the footsteps of my LORD in this spiritual battle, but this is a good article.

Dear Dave the article above has a good answer for your question.

2011/10/28 6:34Profile
brothagary

Re:

does paul say in his letter this is a custom

can anyone here explain how john came up with that as interratation ,,,,

or do you bretheren think that this is an entrence

what verses do you beleieve he is interpreting

do you brothers and sisters think we should at least have understand how some one came up with a conclusion like this befor we except it as a literel interprataion

2011/10/28 6:51Profile
MaryJane

Re:

I almost slipped this morning, I almost gave into temptation and sin by coming here to post again...but then GOD just spoke to me and I realized that I don't have anything to prove to anyone. I just need to fallow JESUS and love all of you here.

So in that note, I just wanted to say I love you all very much. I pray for you today to have a wonderful weekend in our LORD JESUS. It is suppose to snow here tomorrow, imagine snow in October!! GOD is good and faithful.

God bless you all
maryjane

2011/10/28 8:12Profile
dietolive

Re: MaryJane

Dear Sister,

Having read your writings, they strike me as coming from one with a tender conscience, and a sweet, and willing heart. You seem to want to believe all things, according to the light you have. This is a precious trait in the sight of our Heavenly Father.

As for the "sin" of writing here, you must know that not everyone carries the same burden of the Lord. As for these posts and this topic, tt may now just be best to let it be for now, and see what God does with it all.

If you are so led, go in peace (from this Thread) and may God truly bless you and your dear family in the meantime.

"Sweets for the Sweet", dear Sister. God knows how to care for His own...

Be well,
Doug

2011/10/28 9:25Profile
dietolive

Re: sarahsdream

Dear Sister,

You wrote:
"What is the outward sign that a man is loving his wife?

Is it not fruit?

What is the outward sign that a women is respecting her husband.

Is it not fruit, also?

It is most certainly not a piece of cloth.

In Christ,
Sarah"

All true, as you wrote it.

But let me ask you and all others who dismiss what the text literally says:

What is the outward sign that a man is respecting his GOD?

Is it not the "obedience of faith?" "Yes", I hear the readers say. In what things then? In "great" things? "Yes!", you say... In "small" things? In ALL things...? (Consider...)

You know that you are free to believe or not believe, accept or not accept, do or not do.

Go in peace. Let it be.

Be well in the Lord,
Doug

2011/10/28 9:38Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

Edited this post to be obedient to what God showed
me.

rdg

2011/10/28 9:45Profile
dietolive

Re: Heydave

Dear Brother:

You wrote:
"BTW, you still have not answered my question from a number of posts back (in fact nobody has), which is...
If the men in you assembly wear hats and remove them when praying or coming together for spiritual meeting, why is this OK, but not OK for the women to cover their heads only in the same circumstances, when the Apostle Paul states the same conditions for both men and women?"

I answered this particular argument of yours more than once in this Thread in my previous posts to you. Instead of leaving the impression that it was never answered, which is untrue, please just state that you disagreed with my answers. This would at least be fair to the "late" reader of this Thread.

You wrote:
"However there are some who are posting on here, such as yourself and Doug who insist that every women should do as you do and call it a SIN if they don't! I would say that stance in itself could very well be a SIN."

It is only sin to those who know it to be true. Do you know it to be true? ...No?

Well then, if you yourself will not enter into this practice, (as multitudes of our brothers and sisters have in ages past), why do you try to hinder those who would?

What dangers will we face by doing so, that our brothers and sisters did not face before us? Was our God able to give them the victory in all their tribulations then? Is His Arm now shortened? Can He not Save us from all our difficultues now?

You wrote:
"EDIT: I sense there is a 'party' spirit developing on this thread. It seems that there is a tendancy for putting down those who are not of ones particular position and a banding together of those who do agree."

You will not grudge me my duty of love, will you, in encouraging the tender in Spirit? Dear sisters who have the courage to post, even in the teeth of such raging mockery against them? No dear Brother, you must not grudge me this.

Be well in the Lord,
Doug

2011/10/28 9:58Profile
dietolive

Re: Approved

Dear Brother,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I appreciate you taking the time to explain how you have to this point come to your conclusions.

I noticed you asked a question though, when you gave your last response:

"That is why he says after all that he said that 1 Corinthians 11:16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

Now, what is Paul saying here?"

Well, it wouldn't make much sense for Paul to spend a whole bunch of words explaining that something should be done in a "proper" way, or else it would be shameful to Jesus Christ, and then at the end say, "but don't worry, it doesn't matter anyway. Do whatever you want."

I guess one thing we could do, after we pray for God to show us what this all means, is go and ask one of the early Christians near to the time of the apostles. Perhaps they could shed some light...

For instance, we read that in northern Africa, a dispute arose concerning whether by "woman", Paul meant only married women must wear the veil, or both married and unmarried women must wear the veil, since the word "woman" in Greek carried both meanings.

Tertullian, an elder in the Church, decided to find out. Instead of debating the text alone, he just took the time to go to the Corinthians and ask them. He tells us:

“If any,' [Paul] says, 'is contentious, we have not such a custom, nor has the Church of God.' 1 Corinthians 11:16.

He shows that there had been some contention about this point; for the removal thereof he uses the [word with the broader meaning]: not [specifying] the "virgin"[only], on the one hand, in order to show that there is to be no doubt about her veiling; [but], on the other hand, naming “every WOMAN” [1Cor. 11:5], ...So, too, did the Corinthians themselves understand him."

"In fact, at this day the Corinthians do veil [even] their unmarried women."

"What the apostles taught, their disciples approve."

Well, my Brother, do we join with the Corinthians then, and understand it the way Paul taught them, or not?

This is the question before us.

Thank you for taking the time to explain your position, and for having the patience to hear mine. God will not leave you unrewarded for your faithful efforts in seeking the truth, whatever it may be.

Be well my friend,
Doug

2011/10/28 10:15Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re: dietolive

Well brother I was going to answer you point by point because you mis-understand me completely. However I have decided against it as all it will do is cause more strife!

I suggest we do what you suggested prior to your last 2 or 3 posts, which is leave it be for now. Also please read through all my posts and I hope you will see I was not in any way trying to 'hinder' anyone in their particular view. Pot and kettle come to mind here!

2011/10/28 10:39Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy