SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Can Love For God be Separated from Obedience ?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread

Can Love For God be Separated from Obedience ?

If you love me, you will obey what I command. John 14:15
Can Love be Separated from Obedience ?
The act of obeying Submissive to the Fathers will.
Willing to Obey, When you just don’t want to.
A Life, and behavior that pleases God.
Walking in a manner worthy of the Lord to please Him in all respects, even when we don’t see the blessing in it.
Isaiah 1:19 If you are willing and obedient,
you will eat the best from the Land.
Trusting God in your tomorrows, a heart sincerely devoted to him and to his holy ways, not choosing instead to cling to our own way.
Moses, Chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather
Than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a short time. He was looking ahead to his reward. Every believer faces alternative choices.
Moses traded momentary pleasure for future long-range good.
He was able to make the right choice for two reasons: He was a man with spiritual values, and He was a man with spiritual vision.

2011/8/14 22:34
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Can Love be Separated from Obedience ?

"Can Love be Separated from Obedience?"

No.

Love is a command. Therefore, you cannot separate the two.

Anymore thoughts?

2011/8/15 0:00Profile

Love shouldn't be seperated from obedience at all. It should be the sole motivator. I believe that is totally what He had in mind from Deut 6 through the NT - by making love the royal law and 1st commandment.
It's something that's been debated and sad that it would be - but I believe the whole purpose of why He created us, was to love us and to have us love Him in return.
Commandments are only to protect us.
Him being Father, sending The Son to live out a life of visible love for us - we should wonder why someone wouldn't love Him in return.
Some people don't love their biological father because of some cruelty or abuse - but Jesus said, if you see Me, you have seen The Father and He did nothing but sacrifice for us - so how could we not love Him? And love would grow stronger, with every passing year that we come to know Him more, into a very passionate, driving sort of love. One that almost hurts because we want to be with Him or get as close as possible. One would think that our love for the Bridegroom would be stronger than the greatest human love story out there.
It's good to do a search on all of the 'love' verses in the N.T., to see that it's necessary to being saved as well, but it would be sad to think we'd need to force love in order to be saved, after all that He's done for us.
If we look at how beautiful He created everything on earth [before mankind ruined it], we'd see how much He loved us, by that alone, nonetheless the life and death of Jesus and His sending His Spirit to Love Him through us.
I guess I'm venting some deep sorrow here, because I can't understand how anyone couldn't love Him for all that He's done for us all and I meet a number of those each week, that claim He hasn't done enough for them, so they question in their minds why they should 'have to obey' Him because of some supposed 'negligence' on His part.
He loves us so much - why isn't He worthy to be loved in return?

2011/8/15 1:01
jimp

Re:

faith and love cannot be separated from obedience.faith which worketh by love...faith is hearing a word from God,noah ,iwant you to build an ark... believing the word and obeying the word.noah built an ark to the saving of his family.he heard a lot of grief from his nieghbors but he loved his family and loved God.

2011/8/15 1:04Profile

Re:

If we love someone, we will want to please them. If we love God then we will do as He wishes and not even question why.

2011/8/15 3:12
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Another question to be purposed for discussion, if love and obedience can't be seperate does this mean when one disobeys they don't love God?

2011/8/15 5:06Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Oh, if it were so simple or as black and white as we have made it out to be in this thread!!

As I look back on raising my children and how disobedient they were at times, I know they loved me and their father. I also look back on my walk with the Lord and how disobedient I have been at times and I know I have loved the Lord.

God created us with the ability to choose right from wrong, obedience from disobedience AND He also gave us the mind to submit to His authority or not. Sadly, some of us learn faster than others.

God bless,
Lisa

2011/8/15 6:11Profile
brothergary

Re:

mguldner ,,,,,,,bro i think that proves one thing that is verry humbleing and convicting ,,the we dont love god the way he should be loved all the time ,,our love is not perfect like jesus love ,,he loved the lord his god with all his mind soul strength all the time every seconed of every day ,and his perfect obedance to his law proved that with out any doubt ,,we fall short of that type of perfection,,,,and the only reason why we god is because he first loved us ,and shead abroad that love into our hearts changing us in to new creations in jesus christ ,created for good works which god befor prepared that we should walk in them
taking out the old heart of stone and replaceing it with a heart of fleash and writing his laws of that new heart making it possable to love and obeay accoring to the spirit which he as givern us through the plan and practical nature of regenration ,which was by faith through grace that not being of our selvs ,but being the gift of god

as im sure you alreay no bro

i have a lot to thank him for
so much to praise him for
and yet i still dont love him any where near what he derserves ,

but the reality of that casue a contrite spirit and a morning ,and then god goes and blesses that that morn with evalasting confert ,and sets them freethrough his son indeed, a slow but sure perfecting of our soul ,and a comformety to the image of his son,which he predestined befor the foundation of the world , for with out which no one would see the lord ,,his election is efectual toward his sheep ,who are evedent in there efectal heraing of his voice ,and there following of him , for he knows them
and he gives to all of them eturnal life , and none of them shale perish by the way side , nor shal the perish on the rocky ground , nor shall and hated bird devour them ,neither shall any many pluck them out of his hand

god is greater

neither height ,nor debth
neither any created thing be able to seperate them from

THE LOVE OF GOD

but they kepeth them selfs and the evil one can not touch them

how power full is the love of god

im sure most of you know this power

ohh he is worth prasing all day long

ohh lord pour out on us more of the spirit of prayer and suplecation ,and let your spirit prayth for us with grones that cannot be uttered

and interseed for us where you sit at the right hand of the magesty on high ,as the high preist that you are accoring to the order of mekeseldek

bless you all brethern with mutiplyed grace and mercy

gazzer

2011/8/15 6:16Profile

Re:

Oh, if it were so simple or as black and white as we have made it out to be in this thread!!

[quote[As I look back on raising my children and how disobedient they were at times, I know they loved me and their father. I also look back on my walk with the Lord and how disobedient I have been at times and I know I have loved the Lord.

God created us with the ability to choose right from wrong, obedience from disobedience AND He also gave us the mind to submit to His authority or not. Sadly, some of us learn faster than others.

God bless,
Lisa

Thanks Lysa, I was beginning to think I was on some kind of cult board after reading through all the post in this thread. Of course love can be separated from obedience to answer the OP's question. My gosh if God stopped loving us when we were disobedient, we would all have no hope. There are always bad consequences for disobedience.

I would say that obedience has not be given its rightful place in the church because of how important it is. Talking about obedience doesn't bring in a big tithe or put butts in the seats. It is extremely important, and I guess even the ultimate expression of love towards God. I have wrestled with this mightily in my own life because of the bad experience I had with authority in my teen years.

2011/8/15 12:19

Re:

Psychology and obedience is not mentioned in His Word.
Some of us had a life of unimaginable suffering yet ...

This verse is found in the "Love Chapter", as it's called ...

1Co 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

When our Theology excuses a life-style of sin [which differs from a stumble, according to 1John], then it's not being derived from His Word. I don't mean petty sins neither.

When I was a child, I couldn't understand my father's love or labor for our family.

As an adult - I can get tears in my eyes, realizing all that that man did and suffered to provide for us, because he loved us.

That's the difference between 'children'; those still needing the milk of the Word and those who have matured in Christ to being able to handle strong meat in order to discern good from evil - as is written in Hebrews 5.

Any Theology/Soteriology that doesn't represent GOD's Word about long-term rebellion is not Biblical Theology at all.
He gives no excuses, as the psychologists do, for long-term rebellion. Excuses for blatant long term rebellion is not found in His Word, amongst the Saints.

We fall because of 'Self' love - not any other reason on earth. Just like Lucifer.

That's why His commandments were written to 'protect' us - because of His Love for us.

To 'protect' us from taking on the image of Satan, and to bring us into the Image of His Son, through obedience and His working through it, as He obeyed the Father while on earth.

Satan equals hate, self-love and rebellion.

GOD 'is' selfless Love and Jesus proved it by His obedience, as our Example.

With every thought or action, we're either projecting one 'image' or the other. There's no neutral ground.

2011/8/15 12:59

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy