SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Saul and the medium...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

I know there is disagreement on whether Saul actually saw Samuel or was it a demon impersonating Samuel...yes, I know the witch seemed to think it was Samuel as well....but this is not the point of this post - just wanted to let you know I am aware of the difficulty in understanding this incident in light of God's prohibition in pursuing anything like this.

I wonder if we really understand the stress Saul was under? He really wanted to know the future, wanted direction on what he should do, or so it seems. And never mind that he has a history of doing the opposite of God's revealed will.

The drive to speak with a deceased person can become very strong, so strong that the devil will come and suggest that indeed you can! This happened to me after our daughter died. I so desperately missed her company! She would call me many times and say "Mom, how do you....?" I missed those calls..even now as I write, it grips my emotions... Now the devil comes along and informs me that I could speak with Regina. After considering the source of this "thought" I outright rejected it: NO! It did not make me feel better, but I knew this was the right thing...

A week or so later, was Regina's birthday and I got a floral arrangement from the florist. The wording was as though it was from Regina! I was really upset, really upset. After doing some intense investigating I found out who did it and they were informed this message was not appreciated, even if it was given with good intentions. (My negative reactions would not have existed had it not been for the struggle I had a few days before.)

I know one should not interpret scriptures through personal experiences and some will discard what I said because of this very point. This is OK, I take no offense, but just do not forget that the devil will mimic God in many areas of life, and this is my point. Frankly, this type of thing scares me - the devil who mimics God's miraculous works. We must be ever so alert how the devil will say that God will make exceptions in your case and will even end up doing miracles, even in the name of God/Jesus!

Matthew 7:21-23 NASB:

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.

22“Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’

23 “And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’

This is sobering.

2011/7/15 11:07Profile

Re:

ginnyrose I'm glad you resisted the temptation to try and communicate with your daughter after her death. I have heard the stories though from people who say their loved one came by to visit them to tell them everything was alright, etc. And these folks that have had visions of going to heaven or being in heaven have told similar stories about meeting their family members. I don't know what to think of it all except to say I don't think it's a practice that Christians should pursue by going to fortune tellers. If the Lord does it supernaturally, who are we to argue? I think the story of King Saul visiting the witch at endor is a very rare and unique case. I agree with you that going to these fortune teller types is the wrong decision. Christian people sometimes do that when they are desperate, but I believe it is still the wrong decision. I still believe that in the case of King Saul, it was in fact Samuel that appeared to him. At the very least I believe the Lord was in it, and that it was the Lord that conveyed the message and not a demonic spirit. But this is a rare exception of what you would expect to hear from a fortune teller. Satan and his demonic spirits will only tell you enough truth to pull the rug out from under you.

2011/7/15 12:11
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
I have heard the stories though from people who say their loved one came by to visit them to tell them everything was alright, etc.

I have heard of it as well. What raises red flags is when you read how this deceased person was not a Believer...

Quote:
And these folks that have had visions of going to heaven or being in heaven have told similar stories about meeting their family members.

I know some visions are legitimate, genuine. However, too many appear to be counterfeits. As I wrestled with this issue, I came to a few conclusion how one can determine whether it is genuine.

1. Did this person return with a burden for lost souls?
2. How do they regard the Savior? Did they see Him?
3. Does this person have a reputation of being a saint? - one who is walking with the LORD.
4. Do they teach an all-inclusive doctrine - that all men will go to heaven?

There may be others, but this is what I generally look for whenever I read these stories.

I am also told that even Hindus have visions similar to Christians. It is also well known that the LORD Jesus is appearing super-naturally to Muslims today which results in conversions to Him.

Yes, one needs to be doubly careful in giving credibility to visions that are counterfeit.

Endzone, you have any more insight to this issue?

2011/7/15 20:44Profile
carters

Australia

2011/7/16 3:16Profile
savedtoserve

Re:

God be with you Sherid.

Perhaps the Lord wants to use you all to be the beginning of a Biblical church! Lord bless!

2011/7/16 8:00Profile

Re:

ginnyrose I think you are very level headed about this matter of Christians having a glimpse into life after death. I think some of them have in fact had revelations from the Lord God Himself. And others I am skeptical of for the same reason that you are. Their walk with the Lord was not that close, and their loved one was not one who openly professed faith in Jesus Christ.

Sorry, but I don't have any insight. I'm 54, and I've never been married, and I don't have any kids. I think you might be encouraged to read the first chapter of Don Piper's "90 Minutes in Heaven". Maybe you have read it already. This fellow was a Baptist minister who was in a really bad car wreck. Anyway, he said the first people you see in heaven are those who had an influence on your life for Christ. Then he says that a lot of people he thought were going to be there weren't there and a lot of people he didn't think would be there who were there. I know in my own life I've had 2 visions from the Lord. They both happened about 30 years ago. The Lord has also spoken things to me by His Spirit, and when He does it can be a lot louder than a spoken voice.

They say it is one of the hardest things for a parent to lose a child. I can't empathise because I've never had any children. I think you just need to ask the Lord to give you peace about your daughter.

I'll tell you this for the sake of honesty though. My dad is not saved. But, he is a good guy and very generous. I have prayed for him over the past 20 years that he would be saved. For a while he even started going to church. A few years ago I really believe the Lord told me to stop praying for him. Maybe I am wrong it was really the voice of the enemy. I still believe it was the Lord. My dad's attitude now is that I should just respect his opinion about life after death and he will respect mine. This is what he says about it when I talk to him about it. So, only God can deal with him now. I still occasionally pray that he will be saved, but the Lord will have to do something supernatural for that to happen.

2011/7/16 10:46

Re:

Bless you brother Sherid. I think you are talking about something that many missionaries encounter in the field. They say that the people are religious or they are stuck in catholicism. I especially hear this about Central and South American countries. You can bet though that there are many believers on Cook Island that have a closer walk with the Lord Jesus Christ and want to know Him more. I hope that you will have fellowship with those people and be encouraged.

2011/7/16 10:49
carters

Australia

2011/7/16 18:51Profile

Re:

Quote:
I still occasionally pray that he will be saved, but the Lord will have to do something supernatural for that to happen.

As is the case with any and every salvation, if that gives you any hope.

2011/7/16 20:00

Re:

Sherid, I think you are right to keep yourself from any association with things like that that are probably demonic. I tend to be very skeptical of people who say their loved one came and visited them after they died. I do find Don Piper to be credible. But that's just my opinion. I have also been skeptical of "Lord of the Rings" stuff, and I certainly hate the Harry Potter stuff. I just don't allow myself to get involved with anything I think could possibly have a demonic attachment. However, I think there are some really good deliverance ministries, and there are some that aren't so good. I just can't put everything in 2 seperate boxes. Life isn't that simple. In the case of King Saul I do believe it was a very rare exception of the Lord working through a witch. Otherwise, I Samuel 15:35 is a lie. But, are you the type that takes the Bible literally or believe it is open to interpretation? Tonight I was listening to a sermon where the fellow said Jesus didn't really mean it when He said to pluck out your eye if it offends you because it's better to enter heaven with one eye than to go to hell with both eyes. Is it possible that Jesus really did mean it though? I mean was Jesus one given to exaggeration? I don't think so. It's just that few of us have the guts to pluck out an eye or cut off a hand. But maybe I am wrong.

2011/7/17 0:13

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy