SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Saul and the medium...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Solomon101

America's Flyover Country

Re:

Lysa,

Well said. Good post. Keep the faith sister!

Solomon101

2011/7/6 9:31Profile

Re:

I agree with you Lisa. The Bible plainly tells us that it was Samuel. If it wasn't then God is a chain-yanker. By that I mean we can't really take God at his word, and we never really know when He is serious or He isn't serious. But some believers just can't get past the idea that since Samuel appeared to the witch, that God can't possibly work through a witch. He can turn stones into Jews and speak through a donkey, but he can't speak through a witch. I disagree with that logic.

Saul is a mysterious OT character, and I am fascinated by his life I guess because I see a lot of parallels in my own life to his. Is there a more misunderstood character in the OT than Saul?

2011/7/7 22:47
savedtoserve

Re:

Quote:
A lot of folks have been hurt in church and they hang out on this board thinking they can live a Christian life on an island... What is needed is accountability by going to church or even home church. It is getting involved in people's lives.

Yes, this is usually true with forums like this. It's terrible when a Christian tries to go it alone like that, because that's never what God meant. I've seen them myself, trying to turn forums such as these into their own "online church" and it's just a disaster from start to end.

Quote:
Saul is a mysterious OT character, and I am fascinated by his life

He started out well --so humble-- but his end is tragic.

2011/7/8 8:48Profile

Re:

savedtoserve, thank you for your encouraging words. I agree with your analysis.

2011/7/8 20:55

Re:

Savedtoserve have a look at this will you?

I Samuel 15:35

And Samuel came no more to see Saul until the day of his death: nevertheless Samuel mourned for Saul: and the LORD repented that he had made Saul king over Israel.

Who is "his" in this passage? Saul's death or Samuel's? There doesn't seem to be anything in the I Samuel that indicates that Samuel visited Saul on the day of Samuel's death. In fact between I Samuel 15 and I Samuel 25, King Saul and Samuel seem to meet only one more time and it was Saul seeking out Samuel and David. Between I Samuel 19 and I Samuel 25 (Samuel's death), Samuel and Saul never see each other again. I can't find anything in I Samuel where Samuel comes to see Saul on the day of Samuel's death. Although this is just pure specualtion on my part, since Samuel was an old man, chances are are good that Samuel was weak and sickley and in no condition to go visit anyone on the day of Samuel's death.

So couldn't this passage be a reference of Samuel coming to see Saul on the day of SAUL'S death? Samuel died weeks/months/years before Saul did. Do you think I Samuel 15:35 is speaking of when Samuel would visit Saul on the day of SAUL's death during the visit to the witch at Endor?

Please comment if you have time--or anyone else. Thanks.

2011/7/9 11:14
carters

Australia

Re:

Quote:
thinking they can live a Christian life on an island...

LOL that is exactly what we are doing. We are living on an island...literally...only 8,000 people...

Just to let you know that we have only one other couple on the island that are like minded - not any others that are of like mind and safe doctrines :)

BUT you can make it work being a Christian on an island. I take encouragement from my foundation only in the Lord and His word. You can make it work with just the Lord an yourself. Ask any Christian stuck in jail for their faith, or John when we get to Heaven about his life on Patmos.

:) Sometimes life works out that you do not have a church or many in your home church, but GOD makes it work because He is always there for us as our Rock.

As we don't have like minded fellowship I relish the chance to hear debates like this and be around CHristian brothers and sisters who are passionate for Jesus and wanting to have real genuine revival in their hearts and lives.

Praise God for sermon index for those of us stuck on an island.....

PS - I would highly recommend an island experience to anyone...it is a real test to see who you really are serving & what your foundation is really on....

Through Him only
Sherid

2011/7/14 2:49Profile
savedtoserve

Re:

You have simplified it down very well, Endzone. Scripture plainly states when Samuel died, and then there's a reason just why it later said that Samuel said to Saul, Tomorrow you will be with me. (1 Samuel 28.15-19) When you read the Bible, it's about taking God at His word, you know? That takes the complication out of it so many times.

2011/7/14 6:34Profile
savedtoserve

Re:

Quote:
LOL that is exactly what we are doing. We are living on an island...literally...only 8,000 people...

Hi Sherid,

I'd like to clarify what I was getting at. I know you can make an island work; I was talking about what God shows in His word as what He wants for us. My main idea was not literally living on an island, but more just being out of church and out of fellowship with other Christians. One of the purposes of the church is to build each other up into strong edifices for Christ (that's the meaning of edification). It's one of God's means for our spiritual growth.

I want to be careful here, though, and make sure that you know I'm not trying to run your life. In my situation even, there are few in our church and we're looking to the Lord to bring more for His glory. But there's something about a Christian being under the authority of a pastor, about being held accountable for how you live and choose, and about not forsaking the assembling of yourselves together, that is part of God's integral design for His people and we can't get away from it.

Concerning Christians in jail and being exhiled, I think the important distinction there is that they were in that situation because they were being persecuted for their faith. (Acts 8.1)

It's also interesting to note that Paul dealt with churches, not individuals.

I agree with the premise behind what you're saying; that is, it's time to follow Christ and His word only and to stop following men. It's time to stand on our own two feet even in the midst of a crowd that's against us and to say, "This is where I stand, and I'm not budging!" You have a very relevant point, there. But I don't see how that cannot be practiced even while one is in church; I've certainly had to do so numerous times. It's part of everyday life as a Christian in this "wicked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the the world."

God be with you as you seek HIM!

savedtoserve

2011/7/14 6:58Profile
carters

Australia

Re:

Quote:
But there's something about a Christian being under the authority of a pastor, about being held accountable for how you live and choose, and about not forsaking the assembling of yourselves together, that is part of God's integral design for His people and we can't get away from it.

Hi savedtoserve,

I completely understand what you are saying...but soon we will live in a world where for those of us that pursue the truth of God will no longer have a church building to meet in. The churches out there are getting worse and worse. You may not notice in the country you are living currently, but where we live it is impossible to find a church without seriously dangerous teaching.

Put it this way,

If I had to ask you whether you lived on an island and the only church available for you to attend and come under authority in was a church run by Harold Camping...would you attend and submit under his authority and leadership?

In Him only
Sherid

2011/7/15 0:10Profile
savedtoserve

Re:

Quote:
If I had to ask you whether you lived on an island and the only church available for you to attend and come under authority in was a church run by Harold Camping...would you attend and submit under his authority and leadership?

Absolutely not. I get your point there... But here's what I would do instead, I would plan on moving somewhere else where there was a good, solid, Biblical church. Or if there were some other believers, we might try to call in a pastor to start a work there. You see, being in a church is so important to me, that I would move half-way around the globe if need be to get in a good one.

I'm not at all saying this is the case with you, Sherid, but I want to say that Paul talks about those who despise the church of God, about those who esteem it lightly. And a good question for all of us is, How important is the Church of Jesus Christ to me? It is that for which Christ died for -- how do I esteem His church today? What measure would we take to be part of a church?

It's not an issue of a church building so much, as a church body can meet almost anywhere. I realize that the freedom we enjoy may be taken away soon. But we are held accountable for the present, not what we believe will come. Do you get my point?

I do feel for your situation, Sherid, and not in a demeaning way, either. I know what it's like to not have other believers around -- I know it's difficult. Please realize that I'm not trying to coerce you into doing something. Whatever you do or don't do about your situation needs to be because you think it's right, not because someone else does.

Praying for you as you seek His will,
savedtoserve

2011/7/15 7:34Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy